Unable to access NETGEAR WGR614v7 browser user interface after resetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to access NETGEAR WGR614v7 browser user interface after resetting

Hi! I have a NETGEAR WGR614 v7 54 Mbps wireless router. I reseted it a week back and now I am not able to access the broweser user interface for it.

What happened was that the whether over here two weeks back was very rainy, cloudy and full of thunder and lightning. So on one of those days a very big lightning fell less than half a mile away from my house. The lightning came way down very close to the trees but luckily did not burn any of them. I could literally hear the sparks flying. It came on my side of the house the room in which I was busy on the internet with my computer. I also have the router and modem close to me in the same room facing the window. I had kept the windows open on that stormy day.

I have my computer wired to the router. So every thing was fine till I was busy with the computer. I then left the computer idle in sleep mode and loged in to the computer only after a few hours only to discover that I had lost all internet Connectivity.

There was a red cross mark on the network logo on the task bar. At first I thought that it was the Ethernet cable that had gone bad due to the storm as the router was successfully broadcasting WiFi to the other three Android phones. What I also noticed was that the internet logo on the task bar was switching every fifteen to twenty seconds from a red cross mark to a internet connection icon with yellow exclamation.

I then switched the Ethernet port from port one to port two on the router. Now I am getting a constant internet connection icon with yellow exclamation on the task bar.

When I go to settings, then network and internet I get the message that says “ No internet access. Your device is connected but you might not be able to access anything on the network”.

Now when I go to control panel, network and internet, network and sharing center, then click on change adapter settings, I get a active Ethernet port. When I open it, it says that IPv4 and IPv6 have “No internet access”. But at the bottom the activity chart shows some sent and received bytes and when I click diagnose I get the message that says –

“ Investigate router or broadband modem issue”

“If you are connected to a hotspot or domain network contact your network administrator otherwise – unplug to turn of the device, after all the lights of the device are off wait for at least ten seconds".

When I click on check to see if problem is fixed I get the message that says –

"Trouble shooting was unable to automatically fix all the issues found. The problems found are “ The default gateway is not available”.

I still have my computer wired to port two of the router. I tried to reset the router multiple times by pressing the reset button at the back of the router but it was not able to revert back to factory settings with the computer and Ethernet cable attached to port two of the router.

I then was finally able to reset the router on WiFi with my Android phone but loged out of the router control panel without going to the configuration assistant and putting new settings.

I now am unable to log back in my routers user interface and configure it for new settings. Even the WiFi broadcasting has stopped so cannot log back in to the user interface with my Android also.

I tried logging back in again with the computer wired to port two of the router by pressing the reset button at the back of the router multiple times. The routers configuration assistant page does open up on the computer but I cannot go past the first page that says

“would you like help setting up your wireless network” by clicking next. I then am greeted with the next page that says “server not found”. “Firefox Can't find the server at www.routerlogin.com”.

One more thing is that the port active indication light on port one now always remains lit whether there is an Ethernet cable connected to it or not

I also pinged 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1 in cmd and got the same response for both “request timed out” and “Reply from 192.168.1.2: Destination host unreachable”.

The difference is that 192.168.1.1 always gave a 75% loss in all my ping tests with 4 packets sent, 3 lost and 1 recieved. Where as 192.168.0.1 statistics always differed as it did not always receive and loose the same amount of packets and so the loss always differed in the ping tests with 50%, 75%,100% etc. Losses.

Currently I have no internet connectivity and I am using my mobile data. I am very uncomfortable using the internet on my small Android phone. PLEASE HELP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
    Attached Files

Re: Unable to access NETGEAR WGR614v7 browser user interface after resetting

The IP you think the router has is NOT that IP.

Find out what IP it does have, e.g., try command: ‎nmap 192.168.1.0/24

This assumes you have a PC with the nmap command, which is not a given in this crazy mixed up world.
    When testing electrolytic catzappers, you should always wear an OSHA approved safety squint.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I'd use ipconfig/all from an elevated command prompt to find out the IP of the DHCP server. It's usually the router.
      Then ping that and see if there is packet loss.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeBlitz View Post
        The IP you think the router has is NOT that IP.

Find out what IP it does have, e.g., try command: ‎nmap 192.168.1.0/24

This assumes you have a PC with the nmap command, which is not a given in this crazy mixed up world.
        No my laptop PC is not "nmap" compatible as when I give the command "nmap 192.168.1.0/24" in cmd I get a response that says -

"nmap is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

Comment

the i.p. should be in the manual
          and you can probably download it from netgear

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
            I'd use ipconfig/all from an elevated command prompt to find out the IP of the DHCP server. It's usually the router.
            Then ping that and see if there is packet loss.

I opened "command prompt" and gave the command "ipconfig/all". It then gave me a lot of data. All I can understand from it is that yes it does say that the DHCP server is 192.168.1.1 in the Eathernet adapter section. It is the same I use to open the routers browser user interface. I then "pinged" it and I got the same response as before "Request timed out" with a 100% of packets loss.

I can also see that

wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi,
            wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection*2,
            Ethernet adapter Ethernet
            Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2 and
            Ethernet adapter Bluetooth network

They all say that "DHCP and auto configuration are enabled" but still I am not able to access the router's browser user interface. Probably because "IP routing is disabled". Actually I really do not know I am just guessing.

I am very new to computers and all this router stuff is very new to me so please help.

I have posted two images below which contain all the data produced after typing the command “ipconfig/all”. please have a look.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              the i.p. should be in the manual
              and you can probably download it from netgear
              I have accessed my routers user interface before. Through PC and Android both and The most recent access was last month and the only IP address I ever access it by is "192.168.1.1"

But now as explained before "due to the storm" the router stopped giving Eathernet connectivity to my laptop PC. I then tried connecting my laptop with WiFi but the PC could not connect through WiFi as well. So I decided to reset the router thinking that the problem will be solved but I am still facing the same problem after resetting the router. My laptop still cannot communicate with the router. Now even my Android phone has lost WiFi connectivity with the router and also cannot access the router user interface with 192.168.1.1
              Last edited by Captain Bill grace digger; 10-28-2017, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Sounds like hardware failure.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                  Sounds like hardware failure.
                  My routers online indication led stays blinking amber even after the routers configuration assistant page opens up and I cannot go past the first page of "would you like help setting up your wireless router". As Firefox does not seem to communicate with the router.

This has never happened before. When ever I have reseated the router through Eathernet the configuration assistant page has opened up automatically without much effort and the routers online indicator has always stayed blinking green.

So can you please tell what exactly what must have gone wrong.

Will opening up the router, then dry cleaning the circut with cloth and then spraying a little of "CAIG deoxit" help.

PLEASE let me know "Thank's".

Comment

Have you tried different, known good, cable between computer & router ?

Try PING to 192.168.1.2 (= computer) to verify 0% loss

If that fails, seems like problem with computer's Ethernet port

Assuming success with 0% loss, try IPCONFIG /RELEASE followed by IPCONFIG /ALL to confirm router is re-allocating IP address to computer

Then PING to DHCP Server address now shown by IPCONFIG /ALL

If problems with above, time for another router
                    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Bill grace digger View Post
                      My routers online indication led stays blinking amber even after the routers configuration assistant page opens up and I cannot go past the first page of "would you like help setting up your wireless router". As Firefox does not seem to communicate with the router.

This has never happened before. When ever I have reseated the router through Eathernet the configuration assistant page has opened up automatically without much effort and the routers online indicator has always stayed blinking green.

So can you please tell what exactly what must have gone wrong.

Will opening up the router, then dry cleaning the circut with cloth and then spraying a little of "CAIG deoxit" help.

PLEASE let me know "Thank's".
                      Before the storm all was well, after the storm with lightening half a mile from the house you can't connect with wifi or ethernet ? I can't tell you exactly what has happened but it's not hard to believe that some excess electricity has damaged components in the router.
                      No deoxit won't help.

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
                        try IPCONFIG /RELEASE followed by IPCONFIG /ALL to confirm router is re-allocating IP address to computer
                        My apologies, should have written:

Try IPCONFIG /RELEASE followed by IPCONFIG /RENEW followed by IPCONFIG /ALL to confirm router is re-allocating IP address to computer
                        better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Better to keep quite and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt
                          I completely agree with you "pfrcom"
                          Last edited by Captain Bill grace digger; 11-03-2017, 04:10 AM.

Comment

FWhen I ping 192.168.1.2 I get a 0% loss. So yes my computers Ethernet port is absolutely fine.

When I do ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew I get a response that says "No operation can be performed on WiFi, local area connection* 2, Ethernet 2 and Bluetooth while they have their media disconnected. Even ipconfig/all gives the same response that media state of all network options is disconnected.

When I ping DHCP server 192.168.1.1 it gives a "request timed out" response with 100% loss.

I have posted images of the "ipconfig and ping" tests below "If required please have a look".

So yes the router is not able to communicate with my computer. Is there a way to alter this. PLEASE LET ME KNOW SOON. THANK' S A LOT.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Posting pictures with text upside down doesn't facilitate help

I then switched the Ethernet port from port one to port two on the router
                              My routers online indication led stays blinking amber
                              Which LED do you mean ? - that which NetGear manual calls 4. Internet, between Wireless and LAN One LEDs ?

Is LAN Two LED lit ? - if so, which colour ?

It seems some communication is going on between computer and router because previous pic 20171028_165831 said Lease Obtained 28 October 2017, whereas current pic 20171103_225414 says Lease Obtained 03 November 2017

So router's DHCP server is talking, and assigning an IP address to computer

Perhaps your router's firmware got corrupted

Have you tried router with a different computer ?

Your easiest option is buy/borrow another router, to see if that fixes issues

Harder option is to try firmware update, which probably means doing it by emergency recovery route, if there is one, seeing router won't talk to computer

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
                                Posting pictures with text upside down doesn't facilitate help

Which LED do you mean ? - that which NetGear manual calls 4. Internet, between Wireless and LAN One LEDs ?

Is LAN Two LED lit ? - if so, which colour ?

It seems some communication is going on between computer and router because previous pic 20171028_165831 said Lease Obtained 28 October 2017, whereas current pic 20171103_225414 says Lease Obtained 03 November 2017

So router's DHCP server is talking, and assigning an IP address to computer

Perhaps your router's firmware got corrupted

Have you tried router with a different computer ?

Your easiest option is buy/borrow another router, to see if that fixes issues

Harder option is to try firmware update, which probably means doing it by emergency recovery route, if there is one, seeing router won't talk to computer

I apologise for the inconvenience caused. I thought the pitchers would appear fine on the computer screen as I posting on this thread with my Android phone which I am also very new to and there is no way to adjust them after uploading them on the forum.

I have now saved my router pitchers on my phone upside down so that after uploading them on this thread they appear strater.

You ask Which LED do you mean? Internet between wireless and LAN one LEDs?

EXACTLY That little ? question mark led between wireless and LAN one LEDs on NETGEAR WGR614v7 now always stays "Amber" inspite of connecting the router with Ethernet cable to computer on LAN port 2 and trying to access the router browser user interface by typing 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.

And as told before I am not able to go beyond the first page of the router's configuration assistant page of "would you like help setting up your wireless router".

LAN 2 led is lit and it is "green". I have been connected to LAN port 2 of the router since I started this thread.

I mean I switched the Ethernet cable from LAN port 1 to LAN port 2 on the router because on LAN port 1 the "internet logo" on the computer's task bar Keeps switching from a "red cross mark" to "Ethernet logo with yellow exclamation mark" every few seconds. In short the router's LAN port 1 is completely dead but it's activity led on the router still remains lit green even when there is no Ethernet cable connected to LAN port 1.

Even I had noticed the lease obtained colums but could not understand what it ment. After reading your post it feels "great" to know that it means the router is still actually communicating with the computer and that the DHCP server is talking and assigning an IP address to computer.

Yes I tried connecting the router with Ethernet cable on LAN port 2 to another laptop PC but got the same result. The "internet activity led" on router still remained amber while the network logo on the computer's task bar was "Ethernet logo with yellow exclamation mark"

A new router would be a little expensive for me right now so I would prefer fixing this one.

I would like to update firmware of router. But I wonder how as I am unable to communicate with router by any means. I also wonder if there is still an emergency recovery route for updating firmware of my NETGEAR WGR614v7 router as at the back of the router there is nothing but only one small reset button.

PLEASE let me know as soon as you can if there is still a way or an emergency route by which I can update firmware of my router.

I have posted an image of my router showing that it is actively connected to my computer through Ethernet on LAN port 2 while the LAN port 1 led still remains actively lit in green even though it is not connected to anything and the "internet" led with a ? Indicator between wireless and LAN port 1 stays amber, while there is no wireless broadcast at all.

I have also posted another image which clearly shows
                                that I am connected to LAN port 2.

PLEASE HAVE A LOOK AT THE IMAGES.

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP. EAGERLY WAITING FOR A POSETIVE REPLY.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Captain Bill grace digger; 11-05-2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

It sounds to me like your router has taken a lightning strike incoming on the WAN port and outgoing on LAN1 port.
                                  Please open the router and take a close examination of the PCB.
                                  Post detailed pictures of how it looks.
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

It's safe to say that your router got spiked! One of the symptoms are also similar to my spiked 56K modem in May, 2004, IIRC:

It always appears to be able to connect in some way, but all internet connections fail in one way or the other...

Back on May 15, 2004, IIRC, Weathersfield, Vermont got a good T-storm, and it makes me wish that I could record the whole thing. Then my 56K modem acted strange. And IIRC, would often result in Windows reporting being connected at 115,200 bps or the like...
                                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-05-2017, 06:10 PM.
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I also wonder if there is still an emergency recovery route for updating firmware of my NETGEAR WGR614v7 router
                                      I don't know, that would be up to you to research

Sometimes there are ways using CLI (Command Line Interface) commands from the computer, during the early stages of a router's initialization

Not necessarily a job for less experienced people

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                        It sounds to me like your router has taken a lightning strike incoming on the WAN port and outgoing on LAN1 port.
                                        Please open the router and take a close examination of the PCB.
                                        Post detailed pictures of how it looks.
                                        Here are detailed pitchers of the PCB. PLEASE have a look below.

I know the pitchers are upside down "but I just cannot help it" as I am posting from my Android phone.

If more pitchers are required I can post more.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by Captain Bill grace digger; 11-25-2017, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X