Compaq Evo 510 SFF stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq Evo 510 SFF stopped working

Its not been a good week for me. First my 500gb external hardrive in a caddie stopped working ( this has all my work fies on) then on Thursday my pc booted up as nornmal allowed me to read a few emails then froze. It wouldn't reboot.

It was running XP but with issues of it not being supported I installed Unbuntu 16.04 (32 bit) on the same drive earlier in the week and in the same partition. I suspected hardrive failure as I could hear loud clicking so changed the hardrive for a cloned one. This wouldn't boot either, screen said no boot media. I tried a second cloned hardrive but with the same results-. Can a virus do this? I wouldn't have thought so but just wondering!

Bought an external caddie and tested all 3 hardrives on my laptop. The first one has definately failed (western Digital 200GB), now no clicking but no files either. The other 2 hardrives are showing all files. So if these won't boot either the desktop computer is at fault or the boot sectors have been corrupted.

Anyone any ideas?

Re: Compaq Evo 510 SFF stopped working

Probably the boot sector on the HDD went bad as the HDD started to fail. Even though you've cloned it, it likely cloned the failed boot sector as well, hence the no boot.

But best way to determine what is bad is to take another blank HDD and install XP on it (or whatever other OS you have on hand), then see if the system boots. If not, you do likely have a hardware issue with the PC somewhere. If it does boot, then it was the old HDD that had problem.

Comment

I cloned the hardrives earlier in the week as I new I was going to install Unubutu. Xp program is saved on one of the working hardrives. I have no cd drive or dvd as these kept failing. I could try and make an XP boot stick, I tried for Unubutu but failed so i',m not very confident tbh.

Comment

Somewhat related. When I had one of these, there were 3 obviously bad caps on the motherboard. While the PC worked with the 3 bad caps, I replaced them.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by Cornboats View Post
          I cloned the hardrives earlier in the week as I new I was going to install Unubutu. Xp program is saved on one of the working hardrives. I have no cd drive or dvd as these kept failing. I could try and make an XP boot stick, I tried for Unubutu but failed so i',m not very confident tbh.
          Hmmm. The CD/DVD drives failing and then the hard drive... that makes your computer hardware quite suspicious. As retiredcaps suggested, your machine may indeed have bad caps. Inspect the motherboard carefully. Also worthwhile having a look inside the power supply as well. Bad caps on either of these can cause all sorts of issues.

Comment

Here is my post from 8 years ago.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9582
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
            X