Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: apple dumps intel as chip provider for macs

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    Especially when you see an Intel-based Mac running Windows....I always chuckled at that.

I'm one of those..... 6 cores @ 3.46GHz + a good GPU, name one thing it can't do over something newer....
    I want to get mine working properly again. I'm thinking of taking off the Asetek cooler block and then the CPU to check for a pin that I might be able to realign. Maybe, it's just loose contacts on one of the RAM slots.

Maybe, I should of just moved that extra stick to another black slot. The stick that gives me at least 10 GB (and 14 GB with an 8 GB stick) added with the 3x 2 GB sticks. Those RAM sticks were totally stable on my Asus P6T Deluxe, but unstable with RAM-related BSOD error codes on my Asus P6T6 WS Revolution, even with the timings at 9-9-9-24 and 666/667 Mhz x2 (1333)
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-24-2020, 12:52 AM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      I have a few of the last PPC-based iMac's that still have the startup chime.....these are circa 2006-ish. They were polymod cap experiments. Not really worth anything, but they fit in nice with my retro fleet. One of them has Ubuntu for PPC on it.
      Still have mine... but it's on the shelf as I have no good use for it.

We still have one of the late Powermac G5's in service at Church as the audio computer in the AV booth. Have a second that's been demoted to a spare unit (fluky PSU, haven't been bothered to crack open). And a bunch of old iMacs which I'm pretty sure are last model G5's as well. AV setup was redone in early 2006 and the pastor at the time had a son who worked for Apple... Worst possible time to buy macs!
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
        Still have mine... but it's on the shelf as I have no good use for it.
        Sadly, mine are in the same boat. On a high shelf, basically display pieces in my office now.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

ah well... so i guess this is more control freak behaviour from apple and the late steve jobs to tie u into their ecosystem...

as for ipods, during the height of the portable mp3 player wars from 2002-2005, i was not convinced of the audio quality of apple's ipod because they are not known for their audio products, so i went with creative's mp3 players instead. i still have a few of the creative zen x-fi2 mp3 players. one of the best sounding mp3 players around.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
            as for ipods, during the height of the portable mp3 player wars from 2002-2005, i was not convinced of the audio quality of apple's ipod because they are not known for their audio products, so i went with creative's mp3 players instead. i still have a few of the creative zen x-fi2 mp3 players. one of the best sounding mp3 players around.
            The Ipods with the Wolfson DACs are fairly good sounding, but the later models with Cirrus Logic DACs are very lack luster and sound no better than $50 generic MP3 players from the same era.

I have 2 Ipods with Wolfson DACs (2nd gen. Nano and 5th. gen Classic) and 2 with the Cirrus Logic DACs (4th gen. Nano, 7th gen. Nano) and there is a very obvious difference in sound quality.

Comment

I figured by now "MP3 collections" were out of style...
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                i have not seen apple themselves actually say that yet.
                and a LOT of big company's are now pushing the RiSC5 development because it has no patents to worry about.
                Speaking about patents, I got bad news!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...110#post970110

I guess we should go back to plasma, if not CRT as well! Of course, all major CRT patents are expired now! Then we should be able to do stuff without a patent cat fight!

(*-me hearing JOLED meowing and hissing, followed by Samsung doing the same type of deal!)
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-24-2020, 09:26 PM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

I think a retro crt would sell, something not too big 20 inch max with HDMI and all the legacy ports heck maybe make it a wide crt with smart features so you could watch netflix and newer widescreen media on it and that would be awesome! My newest crt is a 2006 LG 30FS4D it has HDMI and slim 15.9 inch depth, and I use it all the time to stream new stuff to it. love the crt.
                  My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

micro-crt on a phone would be cool!
                    http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/...umcomlock.html

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                      My newest crt is a 2006 LG 30FS4D it has HDMI and slim 15.9 inch depth, and I use it all the time to stream new stuff to it. love the crt.
                      2006=That's the latest year of manufacturing that I ever saw printed IRL on a CRT, IIRC. It was a Samsung TV, IIRC.

I think that was back in 2015.

--

OLED technology per-se, is a patent-minefield! I suggest that competitors go back to plasma, if not CRT!
                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-26-2020, 07:04 PM.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                        2006=That's the latest year of manufacturing that I ever saw printed IRL on a CRT, IIRC. It was a Samsung TV, IIRC.

I think that was back in 2015.

--

OLED technology per-se, is a patent-minefield! I suggest that competitors go back to plasma, if not CRT!
                        Yeah not only that but the TV actually says made in korea, I do have a newer samsung slimfit from 2007 its a 27 inch 4:3 with 2 hdmi and digital tuner but its suffering from faint horizontal lines at the top of the screen they go away somewhat when it warms up. the latest crt tv I have ever seen was a RCA my girlfriend had it when we started going out, it was a 2009 RCA walmart china special.
                        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post

Back when I worked retail in college we still sold a couple CRT TVs until around 2010 (all cheap Funai junk under various labels, at that point price was the only reason anyone was still buying a CRT), but the parts may have been old stock at that point.
                          Last edited by dmill89; 06-26-2020, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X