PC Randomly Sleeps And Cant Be Woken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Randomly Sleeps And Cant Be Woken

My PC will randomly go into sleep mode or at least my monitor will say that but the PC will still be on for example I could be watching a movie and the monitor will go black with the sleep message but I can still hear the movie and at this point I cant power off the PC with the on/off button unless I hold it down for 7 seconds or use the reset button and also nothing will awaken the PC at this point. Ive disabled letting the PC sleep in power and sleep settings.

Ive tried different monitors and its still the same, ive tried different video cards like RTX 2070 and GTX 1050 Ti but its the same, I thought it was my power supply Corsair AX1200i becase I couldnt change it to single rail mode so I bought another power supply Corsair HX1000 and ran it in multi rail first and then single rail but it sleeps in both modes. Ive got DDR3 ram using XMP profile.

I have an Asus Rampage 4 black edition motherboard
    i7 4930K CPU 6 cores/12threads @ 3.9GHz
    Windows 10 Pro

Ive changed the OS SSD and ran Memtest 86+ on the 32GB ram and it is good, The timings of the ram might be to blame even though its with XMP profile or it could be something with the motherboard but I dont know exactly what.

Re: PC Randomly Sleeps And Cant Be Woken

It's your monitor going into sleep mode, it says that when the data signal cuts. Problem is, why is the signal cutting.

does it go to sleep when you're actively using the mouse/keyboard?
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Hay Uranium-235 its not the monitor the message about sleep is just what the monitor says when the signal is lost from the PC I have tried many different monitors with the same effect, it does go to sleep when using the mouse and keyboard for example I could be using Blender 3D and modelling something and then the PC does its "sleep" thing. I also found it doesnt matter if the PC is idle doing nothing or in heavy use, I have a two digit display on the motherboard at the moment it is "40" I will reply if it changes when it "sleeps"

Comment

check the battery on the motherboard 1st - sometimes a low one can cause some strange shit to happen.

Comment

Sounds like you should reseat the video card and reconnect the video signal cable.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I'm putting my money down on a config issue with Windows 10.

Make yourself a bootable live Linux DVD or flash drive (pick a distro that seems easy to use), then try it. If PC doesn't go to sleep with that, it's most def a software issue in Windows.

Or if you have a spare HDD, try a Windows 7 install.

Comment

Working...
            X