Can halogen bulb damaged trip breaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can halogen bulb damaged trip breaker?

Hello. Today first time something tripped breaker in my house. I mean i was sitting on Windows 10 desktop ,like always and i hear BUM from fuse box. And power go down. Pc turned off.
    I have that pc almost 1 year and something like that never happened. I think there was not circuit overload,because all devices was off,like tv,washer etc. Only pc was on. And nothing get damaged. Anybody have clue why it happened?

To turn back power again i change breaker to up of course. And its fine again.

PC:
    Aorus AD27QD
    AORUS PRO Z390-PRO GAMING
    Aorus 2080 Ti waterforce stock
    2x16GB DDR4 GSKILL XMP
    9700K STOCK
    Seasonic TX-750W TITANIUM PLUS PRIME

Never happened with that pc in whole year. Also pc is stable during full load etc.
    Today i just browsing internet and power goes down with tripped breaker.
    Pc working like before again. Weird any clues?

Then.......i go to bathroom and saw that one of 3 led bulbs no lightning. So it get burned. So that was propably that halogen bulb?

Re: Can halogen bulb damaged trip breaker?

post a pic of the halogen bulb .

Comment

led? halogen? which is it?

Comment

fluorescent
        Last edited by sew333; 08-29-2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

turn it off and see if all others work

Comment

One not working ,but 2 working. Its halogen bulb. Sorry ,not fluorescent.

Comment

change broke one for new one and see what happens

Comment

12 volts or higher voltage than this
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply
                1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I've had something similar happening. The end of the story was a heat damaged AC wire that went to an old florescent light fixture with a transformer style ballast. The insulation had broken down, and rendered the copper also in a green color.

Comment

Power surge maybe?

Comment

I have question.Maybe my psu of pc caused breaker to trip or it was that bulb? Also pc is running still.

Comment

Originally posted by sew333 View Post
                        I have question.Maybe my psu of pc caused breaker to trip or it was that bulb? Also pc is running still.
                        Likely that bulb. Replace it and see if it trips again.
                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Somebody said this to me:"I am a registered electrician in the state of Wi and I'm going to tell you to call a local electrician because something isn't right with your household's wiring. You need somebody there in person to find the fault meaning this is outside the scope of what we can help with on a forum. "

So he is right?

Comment

Hey somebody said this to me:"Yes, something isn't right. Something is triggering the breakers. Bulbs and other electronics are dying. Explain this to the electrician. An electrician posted in this thread... follow their advice."

What triggering,is he right?

Comment

I think it's a surge, and to fix this, likely you're dealing with something that's dangerous to work on. A certified electrician who knows your locale's wiring code is needed to work on it safely.

Comment

Or maybe bad luck ? Monitor and bulb get damaged past 6 months.

Comment

I know that in the Americas, with "split-phase", probably a bad neutral connection. Not so sure for Europe.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

you could try to monitor your line voltage and see if it's out of range. It could go a long way to figure out what's wrong.

Comment

I have a question. About that propably halogen bulb. Is this possible that psu in pc tripped breakers,and not halogen bulb?

BUT PSU OF MONITOR IS NOT THE SAME OF PC?
                                      So thats why i am asking about pc psu now.

If 3 months ago monitor psu blowed , then maybe 2 weeks ago it was not bulb but psu of pc? But like i said pc working. Also psu in monitor have not the same safery features like psu in pc?

Please answer. I am not cooled down <Lol>

Comment

depends on the design. Likely the widerange PSUs are a bit more tolerant of varying voltages though it's impossible to tell what you have.

It's not likely that a PC PSU will trip breakers without itself being damaged. So if it's still working, likely was not the trip cause, unless the breaker was not capable withstanding the initial plug in inrush or you were already drawing current near its limit.

Comment

Working...
                                        X