X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the use use of these things?

Hi!

I have attached image to this post.

I have marked some cloth sleeves with nr 1 and some plastic cover with nr 2. Does anyone know what is the use of those and are they required? These sleeves with nr 1 are not shrinking tubes. but since they are already around insulated wires, I cant think of any practical use so I thought I would ask those smarter than me. Other thing is plastic cover on top of transformer. Would something happen if it were removed? If the metal case is grounded and some parts of transformer's outer metal frame touch the metal case, would some current flow to case?

Also one question is that the yellow part of that transformer frame is 5.5 cm from left to right. Based on size of that high frequency (likely around 100kHz) transformer (13:1 ratio) how much power would be reasonable to expect it to deliver with out forced cooling by fan? In my case 50W load got it to around 80C and 70W load got it around 100C. Is it normal for such relatively small load to generate that much heat in transformer?
    Attached Files

Re: What's the use use of these things?

fiberglass sleeving.
    you use it if you think something in or against it could get hot.

Comment

It can also be to protect against vibration/abrasion damage.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Tnx for info. Does anyone also know something about transformer related questions and whats that thing on top of it?

Comment

it's exactly what it looks like.
          i suspect they are either trying to control airflow or stop dust getting trapped between the transformer and case-top

Comment

Working...
          X