Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

audio chopping/freezing on PC

Hi guys.
    On one of my PCs with integrated sound card (Asus Formula VIII motherboard) I've noticed that when playing music no matter over speakers or connected headphones I could hear like how can I explain,like music freezes in a split of a second every once and awhile.
    I hear just a tone like bzzzzzz,in a split of a second and back to normal.
    It's like when you listen to music on your PC and it reboots and you hear bzzzzzzzz in a split of a second when PC reboots.
    Now I'm wondering what could cause this issue?
    I know for sure it ain't speakers cuz same happens on headphones.

Re: audio chopping/freezing on PC

By "chopping/freezing", do you mean like a part of the sound will repeat over and over for a quick moment? (like when a video game freezes or when a CD skips very quickly)
    Or is it more of a burst(s) of parasitic noise on top of the audio, without the audio actually skipping or freezing?

The 1st could be a driver issue or buggy drivers. Also have a few old systems that do this, and I have not figured out what causes the issue so far.
    The 2nd could be just a matter of your sound card picking up stray noise from the rest of the motherboard circuits. Sometimes, you can fix that by muting inputs that are not used. But other times, it could be just due to poor circuit layout on the motherboard. Given that this is a pretty high-end board, though, I don't think it would be poor circuit layout.

Perhaps you can make a recording and upload it here?
    I don't know if recording through Stereomix with Audacity would allow you to capture the phenomenon... if the board even lets you record through Stereomix (a good deal of modern boards don't/can't for some reason.) If that's the case, you should be able to record the sounds with a M-M 3.5 mm jack on both ends - simply connect one end in the audio/speakers Out and the other in the audio/Line In. The play some sounds and record audio with Audacity (choose Microphone / Line In for the input and set the volume levels correctly, so that you're not clipping.) Then save file as MP3, Zip it, and upload here, if you do get a chance to capture it.

Comment

Working...
    X