This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

OK, I'm WAAYYY overdue as I've been here a while now (never knew this thread existed). My real name is Callum. I work in a local computer shop in a small town in Northern NSW, Australia and have been into computers for a few years now (4 or 5 maybe?). I have re-capped several motherboards so far. Some have worked, others havent (proably other faults). My first PC was a Toshiba Satellite Pro 400CS Laptop. It had a Pentium 75MHz CPU, 16MB RAM and 770MB HDD and Win 95. It lasted ~10 years before the HDD finally died and I upgraded. My current PC gets called the 'Hovercraft' due to the 10 fans in it (see my posts on Topcat's thread "Post your system" for specs). I enjoy the information on these forums and would like to thank Topcat and the others behind them a lot.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Hello all.

I came across this site a couple of weeks ago and have been lurking to learn all I can on replacing bad caps. Thought I would join and post an intro.

I live in North Carolina. Married, with six children. Two are mine, three are my wifes and one is ours. All are grown, now I'm spoiling the grandkids!

I enjoy electronics, I like to see how things work and repair them if I can. Pretty much an all around tinkerer and handyman.

That's pretty much it!
      Jim Brock
      ABIT KR7A-133

Comment

^
        Welcome to the site!

6 kids!! wow!

Enjoy and just let us know if you have any questions.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Yeah, me too. Sometimes we just aren't paying attention, sorry Topcat. I've been here a while, too, really enjoy the site, good advice here.
          Like the others, I'm a jack of all trades, master of none. As we get older, we look for lighter things to work on; computers are lighter than cars, sacks of cement, etc.
          As an inventor, I'm always looking at the innovative side of things, looking for new uses of what is available. Mostly I find what I think of has already been done, but that's ok, at least I'm on the right trail.
          Like noid lights, cute, but they only use them for temporary testing. I want to make a harness with probes from the injectors to a led flashlight I have that has eight bulbs. Should make a cute display of my injectors, mount it in the dash. I'm hoping it will show rate and duration.(fuel consumption) All I have to do is put the right resistor on the led, I think, but I haven't looked that part up. Unless some smart guy here knows what I should do to make the led work right on twelve volts.

Comment

Hi all.

I live in East London, UK.

I first became interested in electronics 40 years ago (showing my age now LOL) when I built my first crystal set at school. From then on I was hooked. My hobby also became my work. My first job was testing amplifiers, tuners, cassette decks etc. for Alba music centres.

Then I went into military electronics, working as a Production Engineer for The Plessey Company, which subsequently became Siemens, then British Aerospace, then BAE Systems.

Signed up to these forums for the wide variety of electronics subjects covered, not just bad caps.

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
            Bright antennae bristle with the energy

Comment

Hello live in Uk watched father hit valves with stick in back of TV have never been right since !

Comment

Hello!

I live in Slovenia and I just recently entered the wonderful world of soldering A friend of mine gave me a Gigabyte nForce4 mainboard with one leaking 3300uF capacitor. I decided to finally buy a proper soldering iron and replace all five just for to be safe. To my amazement, the board works and I'm a happy fellow

Cheers!

Comment

I've been a mainframe computer programmer for the past 35 years or so, mostly working on a contract basis, in Toronto Ontario Canada.

I generally teach myself how to do new things, then really go deep into the hands-on work.

My wife's computer blew it's power supply about 3 years ago. I watched my nephew open the box and replace the PSU, and bingo, a light went on - I could do this.

I responded to an ad and picked up a half a dozen old P3 machines for free. I discovered Mandriva, then Ubuntu. Bought some Socket A motherboards. Really liked the ones that worked, wanted to fix the ones that didn't. First recap was an ABIT KT7 Raid with a few blown caps. Replaced the blown ones, but the board was still not right, so did the whole lot. Discovered that server ram works on these boards, discovered SCSI.

I am a trial and error sort of guy, when I finally get the result I want, it's very satisfying.

Other interests, jazz at the Rex, golf (why??), reading, fitness, gardening.

Comment

Ciao to all! Just signed in because I started to investigate why my iMac G5 2004 decided not to weak up a day... I am a poor biologist but using Macs since 1987 and I couldn't resist to try to weak up the big white box again. Then I saw the blowed caps inside the iMac and to buy and change the 20 capacitors inside was all at once. iMac was happy and started again BUT I decided that the keyboard was too dusty and short circuit that!!! Bad smalling from the powersupply, I guess, and no power at its pins except 5V at one point only. So, what to do now? Again changing caps inside the powersupply or what? Not bad as an introduction. Thanks Sergio.

Comment

Hello everyone just registered hope to learn much

Comment

Hello everyone.
                        I just registered today; I too am a lurker of this forum. I plan on recapping
                        some of my mobos (MSI, PCCHIPS, EPOX) soon. Will be buying caps from
                        BadCaps.net this week hopefully.

Comment

I found the BadCaps website (and subsequently this forum) a couple of years ago when I finally discovered the cause of my MSI K7T Pro 2-A (MS-6330) motherboard not POSTing. I bought it for my backup system but it was flaky and never worked right from the beginning with difficulty powering up, random freezes and reboots, etc. Over time these problems progressively got worse until the system eventually wouldn't even POST. Since it was my backup system and I never really used it that much, I put it aside and forgot about it for years, chalking it up to bad luck.

One day I randomly came across some article about the capacitor plague which caused me to carefully reexamine my MB, and sure enough there were numerous capacitors with classic bulged blown tops. At this point I hadn't found the BadCaps website yet, so I asked my long-time TV/stereo repair guy to replace the blown caps while he was working on some other repairs for me, hoping that would solve the problem and allow me to salvage the board. Well he did so, and afterwards the board would POST again but gave some sort of memory error message and still not boot up. I assumed that possibly some other components on the board were damaged from the bad caps and basically gave up. It got me interested in the bad caps topic though, and eventually I found this forum which was quite an eyeopener and an educational experience! I had no idea there was so much to know about brands and models of capacitors, for example. I've spent a good bit of time surfing the various threads and have learned a lot, and I've been impressed by the overall friendliness and technical knowledge of the active members. Anyway, I never got around to posting yet but I figured this was a good time to do so after I saw this thread, which somehow I never saw before. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute in some way to this forum!
                          Last edited by Eagle2a; 01-18-2010, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I guess like most people, they discover these boards when something goes wrong with their computer. Well, I discovered this site by accident shopping for a cheap graphics card for my GX270.
                            I have 2 GX270's one SFF and one SDT. There are bulging caps by the DIMM slots in both, however neither have shown any symptoms yet.

Comment

Hello everyone! My name is Darryl. I just found ( Bad caps) after spending about 12 hours looking up info on plasma tvs. I have finally found a home! I am a mechanic, but was an electronic goof ball as a teenager. I was always ahead of my time. I was building sub woofers and bi amping car audio in the early 80`s I started repairing delco radios and setting them up with preamp outputs. Double printed curcuit boards were all I knew. I learned early on that books on power supplies were a good thing! I had a computer teacher in high school (1986) and he asked me " How come you don`t love this class" and I said " When you can look up anything about anything on a computer I will buy one" Well, finally, here we are!....Took long enough! Electronics has helped me to be one of the best mechanics out there! It`s a big part of my job, and a great hobby! I look forward to talking to all of you. I have alot to learn here. People always come to me when they can`t fix something or need the correct answer. Where do I go? I think I found the place! I have started a new venture, I suddenly like fixing tvs again! Too bad parts and schematics are almost long gone!

Comment

Welcome Mr. Cadiman! You will soon learn that this site is much better than Face Book could ever be. Electronis + Automobile = Friend! I am the gearhead on this site. I'm getting old so you can take my place. Again I say "Welcome!" Do you reprogram automotive ECU's by any chance???
                                "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                Rod Serling

Comment

Hello everyone,

I'm Douglas and fixing computers is my hobby. It takes time, but I like fixing broken computer parts or make the parts better (like replacing inferior caps with Rubycons). It is a good feeling when a once-broken part works and has utility again. Thanks for having me here.

Comment

Hi i'm Kenny very new here signed up to get help on my Samsung 205bw. Hopefully get the monitor sorted and sold so i can buy a new fishing chair as mine snapped last week down at the lake !! Regards.
                                    Last edited by kennyken; 04-14-2010, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Hi, I'm Lisandro and I'm writing from Argentina (that's way, way down). I have started recently to recap motherboards and video boards. Never had the chance to deal with PSUs yet, but there's always a first time. I'm sick and tired of these cheap electronic shops near my home trying to sell me generic, "dark sided" chinese caps. I hope to learn a lot about how to recognize good quality caps, and a bit more about ESR, and this forum is at the top of the list on the net. Any opinions on Siemens and Epcos for caps? Thank you all.
                                      AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.0Ghz @ 3.5Ghz - ECS A780GM-A v1.0 - 4 GB OCZ Gold DDR2 800 - 2 GB Kingston DDR2 800 Value - ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB - Windows 7 x64 - A bunch of hard drives

Comment

Hi, i'm Jesus lol... i'm from venezuela and I'm trying to fix my video card capacitors i'm here thanks to san google

Comment

Hey all, I'm David. I'm from Tallahassee, FL, and happened across the site while looking for solutions to a bad power supply. My power supply is from a MRI system, but I found a thread about a cold solder developing from the heat/weight of a transformer over time on a LCD. I probably should have known to check for that, but I was hung up on a cap and rectifier that I couldn't get....so after reading the thread I checked the solder points, and sure enough two of them looked like cold solder directly around the pins. One had a lot of resistance, and the other read open. I'll know for sure if its fixed tomorrow, but either way I appreciate the advice.

I spend a lot of time online, but most of the forums I frequent are computer, gaming, web design, muscle car, or PACs oriented. I hope that I can be a useful addition here.

Comment

Working...
                                          X