This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Curbsided a Samsung 70" 4k on my way to church. Seems to have a PSU failure...

Unlike the vizio, it has a tuner... hmm...
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Good luck with it. I have several modern Samsungs with mysterious PSU issues....haven't figured them out yet and replacement boards are non-existent.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

It's been a fantastic week for stuff!!

1x HP CQ56 laptop. Had a single core celeron @ 2.2.....I had a Penryn C2D @ 2.2/800, works great in it. Had 8gb PC2-6400 <--yes, you read right!! Those are worth darn near 100 bucks by themselves. I tossed the C2D in it and a 128gb SSD I had, tossed Win10 on it, and bam, darn nice web browser.

There was another 'hp 2000', forgot the model #, but its a AMD APU @ 1.3 with 4gb ram and a 320gb spinner. Tossed Mint on that, it originally had win8 on it, and it was agonizingly slow....even after a clean install of 8.1. Mint 20.2 runs nice, another fine web browser.

Lenovo i7 desktop with 16gb RAM and a 2tb spinner. Nothing wrong with it.

Asus i5 laptop w/16 gb RAM, bad 500gb spinner. Replaced with 240gb SSD & reloaded, perfection. Battery was bad, bought an ebay replacement.

Got several HP quad core AMD a10 APU systems, all working. Some retro stuff to include 2x IBM PS2 70 386 desktops and 4x PS2 486 towers/servers.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Some free scores:

- AMD 5x86-P75/AMD-X5-133ADZ - bent pins but not so horrible, pretty easy fix.
          - Broadcom BCM94311MCAG WLAN card
          - Atheros AR5B125 WLAN card
          - Broadcom BCM94312HMGL WLAN card
          - AMD Turion 64 ML-37 skt 754
          - AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 S1G2
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Found a 2019 Insignia 55inch 4k smart tv roadside in the country.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=6245800

Seems to work... Haven't tested it enough to say. 2 4k's in a week??? Wut?
            sigpic

Comment

lucky people, every time i see a tv it's been rained on!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                lucky people, every time i see a tv it's been rained on!
                Seems all the ones I encounter have broken screens.

...ad a matter of fact, I scrapped out 3 of them today....and still have 2 to go.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  Seems all the ones I encounter have broken screens.

...ad a matter of fact, I scrapped out 3 of them today....and still have 2 to go.
                  ...and funny enough, he's getting the insignia since I'm out of space and don't really have a need. The LED strips are hosed... point, match, game.
                  sigpic

Comment

Scored another Acer Aspire 5930. Had a really bad battery (not swollen or anything, it would just kill power unexpectedly), dried thermal paste and screws turned so hard I needed to use some fine pliers to remove the last screw for the MXM VGA card (9600M GT GDDR3). Otherwise it works fine. Replaced the NEC TOKIN with 4x330uF as I'm sick enough of these NEC TOKIN to yank them out on the spot if I get to see one. Also had to replace the DVD-RW as it was bad (surprisingly the DVD-RW was from an HP) and the LCD as it was yellowed pretty badly.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

The 'hardware whisperer' in me stumbled upon an Asus KFN5-D w/ 2x quadcore 2360 Barcelona CPU's (fastest it can take, doesnt support shanghai's) & 64gb RAM. All in its oriinal box with IO, all cabling, and manual....for peanuts. Seller said it didn't work.....I saw a dozen bloated up KZG caps, and I knew I had to rescue it. All the above was under $50 shipped.

It got here, recapped it, and its rock solid stable. No idea what I'll do with it....but I was watching it for a while....with every relist, the price would drop ~$25...I grabbed it when I figured the relisting would end and it'd end up in a scrap bin....
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

The 'hardware whisperer' in me stumbled upon an Asus KFN5-D w/ 2x quadcore 2360 Barcelona CPU's Seller said it didn't work.....I saw a dozen bloated up KZG caps, and I knew I had to rescue it.
                        From 2005? 2004 and 2005 seem to be the worst years for KZG! (possibly followed by 2006)
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                          From 2005? 2004 and 2005 seem to be the worst years for KZG! (possibly followed by 2006)
                          Yea, that would be about its age. IIRC, this board was 2007~2008-ish. KZG really didn't start cleaning up their reputation until well after 2010 when the bad capacitor plague really started to diminish.

Today's freebie is a Fujitsu TeamPOS 2000 point-of-sale system that came from a defunked 'Hallmark' store. The thermal printer is missing as well as the HDD....but it works, and the software for it is still available through Fujitsu. It runs XP Pro embedded. Has 15" touchscreen clerk display, VFD customer display, credit card reader, and the keyboard.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Scored a Samsung UE32EH4003W for free, with a "One For All" remote, complete with 4x Varta batteries (just hearing Varta sends me horrible shivers down my spine.). Works fine with no issues.
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

KZG really didn't start cleaning up their reputation until well after 2010 when the bad capacitor plague really started to diminish.
                              And, in the mid-2010s, I discovered KZG-series caps on my 2004 Asus A7N8X-X bulging and leaking like volcanoes! They were suddenly spewing at the vents!
                              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-05-2021, 06:31 PM.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Found a HP E2377A multimeter in the trash today at work, looked dead. Opened it up to find two fresh batteries in it, and one corroded terminal from battery leakage.

One of the batteries was in the wrong way round, I think whoever put the fresh batteries in didn't cop on to the orientation of one of the batteries, the one on the left is supposed to be positive against the spring. I'll have to do something with that terminal though, maybe replace the whole battery housing, even after a good cleaning, the terminals are never the same again when the plating has been eaten away.

Also found a Leica StereoZoom SZ-4 on a platform. I think it was removed from a cleanroom lab where they make wafers. Needs a bit of tidying up, but I think it was worth hauling out of there.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tmcw View Post
                                  Found a HP E2377A multimeter in the trash today at work, looked dead. Opened it up to find two fresh batteries in it, and one corroded terminal from battery leakage.
                                  That's a Yokogawa. See

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/yokogawa...03-multimeter/
                                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Today's freebie was a Dell Precision T5400 w/ 2x 5450 CPU's @ 3GHz, 16gb FBDIMM's, 1tb HDD, with a quadro 310. Working condition. Tossed Mint 20.2 on it... For some reason Mint only sees half of the 16gb RAM, but windows sees it all....

Of course this post from it..
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Today's score is a Acer Aspire 6530G. Turion RM70, 2x2GB DDR2, HD3470 "Hybrid" (it's in tandem with the chipset's IGP) and so far it's working fine. The GPU is a bit suspect but nothing out of the ordinary. Needs cosmetic fixing but nothing a donor 6930G (since I had two) cannot fix.
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Just a quick post here...

I bought an Iiyama Vision Master 452 for 10 Leva (equivalent of about $6-7 or thereabouts) while visiting family overseas. It's basically a 19" CRT monitor. Man, those are getting tough to find nowadays (particularly CRT monitors larger than 17"), even in countries like Bulgaria.

Condition was not working/for parts (of course! why else would I buy it?! )... and certainly looked better on the ad pictures. But it's not in too terrible of a condition either - mostly very yellowed plastic on one side and the bottom of the CRT base stand, for whatever reason. Otherwise, the screen glass is nearly mint condition.

Problem was... as the name of this website might suggest... -badcaps-
                                        Well, that and a bit more. I also found two shorted SMD ceramic caps (that had now disintegrated) and shorted HOT. Not sure who took out what, or if they were cascade failures at all.

Anyways, I removed the bad SMD ceramic caps. Then, I temporarily replaced the one obviously failed 2200 uF cap with a 1000 uF one (as that's all I had on hand there), along with swapping the shorted HOT for one from a scrap CTX 17" CRT monitor board I found near a trash can on a busted CRT monitor (copper recyclers) just two weeks prior to that.

And with all of this, the Vision Master 452 lit up!
                                        It's like the scrap parts were all meant to come to me for this.
                                        Pictures and repair thread will come someday later, as usual.

When I go again there next time (??? whenever that is???), I'll try to remember to bring proper replacement caps and HOT. Maybe get my nephews to help too.

On a side note, I'm officially back again.
                                        (i.e. the wrath of long walls of text is back. )

Comment

Congrats! gotta keep those CRTs goin!
                                          My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                          X