Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP 450 G5 - keyboard problem

Hello,
    i have here ex water smashed 450 g5 with mainboard da0x8cmb6e0.
    Water was mainly on and around kbc npce586ha2mx.
    KBC was desoldered, all cleaned and soldered back...on leg was repaired under microscope.
    Problem is, that some keys on kb wont work correctly - for example when i press "O" laptop turns on airplane mode.
    ...problem still with connected external keyboard. at first it seemed like keyboard problem...but i have tested another two 100% working keyboards and problem still.
    When is internal keyboard disconnected and is connected only usb kb then all works fine.

I was not able to find service manual for this laptop.

Soo what you mean? is needed to change kbc npce586ha2mx ?

thx
    Last edited by CornholioGSM; 05-05-2020, 08:56 AM.

Re: HP 450 G5 - keyboard problem

The keyboard connector data lines go directly to the EC. You may want to test them one by one. Find schematics for a board with the same EC, keyboard lines are defined by EC hardware and pinout doesn't change between boards.

Another alternative would be something silly like Fn function being on by default.

Comment

...this ec is needed to be programmed or can i use directly another desoldered from another mainboard?

Comment

Originally posted by CornholioGSM View Post
        ...this ec is needed to be programmed or can i use directly another desoldered from another mainboard?
        If I remember correctly from seeing it elsewhere, but dont quote me on it, it's self-programming - a blank EC would load its firmware from a SPI flash and store it internally. Quick google suggests it has nasty security features too.

Comment

Originally posted by emestee View Post
          If I remember correctly from seeing it elsewhere, but dont quote me on it, it's self-programming - a blank EC would load its firmware from a SPI flash and store it internally. Quick google suggests it has nasty security features too.

Edit: website in french language: https://www.ssi.gouv.fr/entreprise/c...-npce576ha2yx/

Does it mean it can only be replaced with one from a donor board .
          Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-05-2020, 09:55 AM.
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post

Does it mean it can only be replaced with one from a donor board .
            I don't think so. If anything, installing a programmed one from a donor board is probably a bad idea if it has security features enabled. There's simply no documentation on it. The russian engineers claimed to have made some progress, JTAG was mentioned but it's hush hush so far, so we don't have any data. There are supposedly EC dumps but I dont have access to them.

Edit: upon some more googling tl;dr this EC is bad news. It is presumed to have unique OTP programming keys and so nothing to be done with it except replacement from an identical donor.
            Last edited by emestee; 05-05-2020, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Ok here's some good news. The previous revision of this machine (Quanta X93A) has the same KBC. There's a reported case on russian forums where this KBC was successfully replaced with the 781 variant, and the bios was replaced with 25q80 or 25q128. The flashed BIOS was the official one with serial numbers copied from the original.

Source (Russian): http://********/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=80018

Comment

soo what will be the simplest solution? buy new one from ali etc...then it will be self programmed from spi?

Comment

I would highly suggest you prove affirmatively that this is a KBC issue before trying to replace it.

Comment

Re: HP 450 G5 (da0x8cmb6e0) - keyboard problem

*SOLVED*
                    ...i have found mainboard from 470 G5 ( 17" version with dGPU). ...soo i have changed kbc from this mainboard and all works fine without programming

Comment

Re: HP 450 G5 (da0x8cmb6e0) - keyboard problem

*SOLVED*
                      ...i have found mainboard from 470 G5 ( 17" version with dGPU). ...soo i have changed kbc from this mainboard and all works fine without programming
                      Was the mb number same in 450 G5/470 G5??

Comment

nono little different...give me few hours i will post it

Comment

...sorry my error...mainboard was same mb number - only with dGPU

Comment

...sorry my error...mainboard was same mb number - only with dGPU
                            Hmm. So that leaves us still confused whether this kbc can be replaced from different mb. Will try to dig it and update if anything interesting found. I've not replaced this kbc so far and that's why want to know more.

Comment

Working...
                            X