Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to desolder this component beside chemical cap ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to desolder this component beside chemical cap ?

Hello, I need your advise pls ?
    The black component at the center of picture is dead, I need to replace it (it's a Nikon D5 camera). It's easy to desolder with hot air. But beside, there is a chemical cap, and I don't want to destroy it.

How do you do ?
    I have low melt solder and good capton. Is it better to desolder the cap (for safe) with iron, then desolder-resolder the black component with hot air ? Or these caps are strong enough and capton and other cover can avoid hot air damage ?
    Attached Files

Re: How to desolder this component beside chemical cap ?

You add leaded solder to the chip you want to remove, then you cover all the other nest by stuff with capton tape and then proceed to remove the IC with hot air and a small nozzle. I wouldn’t worry about that brown SMD cap beside it. Matter effect, I’d even take it off if it’s in my way.

Comment

Angle the nozzle away from the cap and plastic connector, capton tape and or a thermal pad to protect from the heat if you're worried.

Comment

OK thanks, I will do all that. I will mix low melt solder at chip's pads with a solder iron for help a little bit, because there is a thermal pad under chip.

Comment

Drill a hole or take somehow the cap of the IC, cut the legs and take everything off with the soldering iron.

Comment

I grinded the chip, I removed the half of the box, I dont have tools for more. I made a short attempt (410 degree), I saw the solder bright but I can't remove the chip. Not enought heat or it could be soldered to PCB ground pad ? I guess I should remove the chemical cap first ? I have true low melt solder, I can use it ?

Comment

I took larger stuff off with that trick using my 80W soldering station at 380C. You can preheat the bottom of the board with the hot air while using the soldering iron on top. If you feel comfortable, drill the hole a little deeper.

Comment

You can do what CapLeaker is suctioning but you would need to use a dril bit slightly smaller in diameter than the hole size and drill in the center of the hole on the board for best results
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply
                1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Quit with the drilling and learn how to use your hot air.

Comment

my bad
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hum, it seams I was not clear in the last post… In this thread I’m scared to destroy the chemical cap… But look the last pictures, it’s not a chemical cap, it’s a coil ! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by corrize View Post
                        Hum, it seams I was not clear in the last post… In this thread I'm scared to destroy the chemical cap… But look the last pictures, it's not a chemical cap, it's a coil ! LOL
                        I was going to say that but was afraid I was wrong. I was looking everywhere for a cap (???) lol. Yeah you can melt that coil package...no harm done, just make sure it's still continuous of course.

Comment

Working...
                        X