800F Not hot enough..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

800F Not hot enough..

Well I just replaced some caps on my vp6.. I came into 2 holes that wouldn't melt and give. I had to press the damn soldering tip from my hakko FP-102 for a while until it would melt, even with fresh solder.. I have no idea what kind of solder abit is using but its not light. I finally got them cleared and new caps in.. But the back of the board is somewhat "burned" from the excessive heat. To top it off, the two panasonic caps between the AGP and PCI are too big. I am hoping tomcat will sell me those two. I couldn't plug my video card in, but the system did turn on without blowing up . It posted two beeps.. Which is prob from the video card not being in. It took me a while to learn and start heating both leads up on a cap instead of one.. Man did things speed up after that.. I also came into less clogged holes that way. Hope my board is ok, the pcb just looks brownish around those two annoying holes..

Just install the caps between the AGP and PCI1 sideways. I do that on all of them. Stops the caps from interfering with AGP cards. Locating low-profile caps to fit that is impossible with a quality brand.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Well I already clipped the stupid things when I put them in.. Well the one I did anyway. I didn't get the other in the mail.. But when I do I will follow your advice. Now that leaves me with that one cap that needs to be replaced due to size and being clipped..

Thanks,
      Cody

Comment

There's probably a substancial ground plane in there, which sinks the heat away from the iron. It's certainly an acquired skill, working on mainboards and replacing caps..

Comment

Working...
        X