Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GE kitchen stove timer

My kitchen stove got BadCap-itus!

The clock/timer suddenly started keeping crazy time, the cooking timer went kaput and when a key was pressed to set the time, the "beep" sound was weak and uneven indicating rapid voltage fluctuations.

So after a month or so of being driven nuts without a good cooking timer apart comes the stove.

The timer has an external, soldered-on power board that can pivot over on the leads protruding from the timer board. This board has 3 'lyctic caps on it, a 1000/25 Samsung SSL, a Samxon 100/16 GF and a Samsung 470/16 SSL. All caps appeared fine with no sign of bulging or leakage.

The ESR meter saves the day! The 470/16 has something like .50Ω which was apparently just enough to ruin my cooking experience. The other caps were at .06 and .09Ω but I replaced them anyway with Nichicon PW.

Plug it all back in and just like new! Keeps time and a nice loud Beep.

I'm not so impressed with the quality of this thing which was made by an American company in Mexico.. It had several cold joints and the circuit traces were fragile and poorly adhered. Even HKFA Co. makes better boards than this thing.

The power board has the 4-diode treatment and a row of big power resistors.
    A SMPS would probably save me some money over time as those resistors look like 2w each which is just warming up the back of my stove 24/7.

Yay! One less project!

Have Fun,
    Keri
    Last edited by KeriJane; 01-05-2012, 10:24 PM. Reason: Samxon spec wrong
    The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Re: GE kitchen stove timer

Originally posted by KeriJane View Post
    Even HKFA Co. makes better boards than this thing.
    sorry, but the last i checked, that is physically impossible... plus, many of the boards (and other parts) are made in Asia, then shipped to another plant for final assembly.

GE's consumer crap has not impressed me as well made...
    Last edited by ratdude747; 01-05-2012, 10:17 PM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Every one of the GE appliances in my kitchen has been replaced over the years with another brand. Pure junk they were good back when they actually cared about their reputation (the 1980s and back). Their quality really has gone downhill over the years. GE and Hotpoint are the same brand FYI.

My GE dishwasher was recalled years after it was purchased for starting electrical fires (probably due to underrated wire) the only resolution was replacement and they would give a credit for another GE appliance. No Thanks.

You've got Whirlpool, GE, and Electrolux they're the 3 REAL appliance manufacturers. They private manufacture most of the appliance "brands" out there. Maytag used to be a manufacturer but they are now just another brand made by Whirlpool.

I've been staying with Whirlpool appliances and I've been happy. They have free parts breakdown diagrams on their site and I've located many sources for cheap OEM parts when they break . You'd be surprised how many parts interchange between models if you stay with the same OEM manufacturer.
      Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Where do you find the parts breakdowns? The use to give out full service manuals for free on servicematters (dot) com, but stopped doing that over a year ago due to 'safety' aka: 'lost revenue from repair places that would pay for the info' concerns.

Comment

At this link:

https://www.whirlpool.com/webapp/wcs...tureSearchView

You get there by clicking manuals and literature.

Enter your model number there and at the bottom of the file list you'll see a PDF for the parts list. If your appliance is made by Whirlpool or private branded by them Kitchenaid, Kenmore (some), Jenn Air, Magic Chef, Maytag, etc. You can enter that number there too.

The full training manuals I know where to get them too right from their site. They don't publish the links publically it's a hidden section of the site but Google found them which is how I found them.

The training manuals are great for getting up to speed on troubleshooting quick.

Most manufacturers make at least the parts breakdowns available on their sites. The appliance "brands" site can be touch and go they may give you the info or they may not if you can't find it there go to the actual manufacturers site.
          Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-06-2012, 11:41 AM.
          Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

just curious, but who makes frigidaire? My house has a dishwaher and a gas range made by them, both made within the last 5 years. (the fridge is a 1980's GE).
            sigpic

Comment

Frigidaire is made by Electrolux.

Had to get a parts breakdown for my 09 Frigidaire stove awhile back since I like to have these on hand and I don't know if it was just an oversight but Frigidaires site had the owners manual and even the schematic but no breakdown.

I ended up having to comb through Electroluxes FTP site to find the breakdown. It was real fun their directory structure looked like it was created by a 12 year old. Unlike Whirlpools site the HTML end to search for manuals their site either intentionally or unintentionally doesn't recognize non Electrolux model numbers.
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-06-2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

whew, thank god its not GE made...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  whew, thank god its not GE made...
                  Not sure what your whewing about, GE is better than Electrolux.

Comment

I beg to differ. We're not talking about GE from the 1980s on back.

Had a GE stove the temperature dials for the oven broke off for no reason then the oven handle broke, next the spark module went belly up, finally the manual rotary oven thermostat kicked the bucket at that point it was junked. Then the GE microwave control panel died. Next the GE dishwasher pump motor burned out the unit was later recalled for fires.

The fridge is the only thing left and for no good reason the paint is chipping off the bottom of the door showing an ugly rust patch and the plastic cut outs the hold the door brackets are broken so they're held to the door with packing tape. The only fix for the door is to replace the entire inner door plastic shell but spending 80 bucks for another piece of poorly designed plastic isn't appealing to me. Quite silly if you ask me they should've reinforced the plastic where the retainer brackets snap in.

The fridge is the only GE appliance that's still functional not pretty but functional .
                    Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-06-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
                      I beg to differ. We're not talking about GE from the 1980s on back.

Had a GE stove the temperature dials for the oven broke off for no reason then the oven handle broke, finally the manual rotary oven thermostat kicked the bucket at that point it was junked. Then the GE microwave control panel died. Next the GE dishwasher pump motor burned out the unit was later recalled for fires.

The fridge is the only thing left and for no good reason the paint is chipping off the bottom of the door showing an ugly rust patch and the plastic cut outs for the shelf brackets are broken so they're held to the door with packing tape. The only fix for the door is to replace the entire inner door. Quite silly if you ask me they should've reinforced the plastic where the metal retainer brackets snap in.

The fridge is the only GE appliance that's still functional not pretty but functional .
                      Beg to differ all you want but GE (today) is better than Electrolux (today) in almost all of their appliances according to most of the consumer reporting and reviewing companys, your mileage may vary. Just a FYI GE of the 1980's is still the same GE now. Electrolux of the 1980's is not the Electrolux now they were purchased by the Chinese several years ago.

Comment

Consumer reports is what got me into the mess with GE. I take their reviews with a grain of salt now.

The experience as taught me it's best to listen to consumer reviews over "professional" ones.

Electrolux ovens are manufactured in Springfield Tennessee as for parts almost every appliance nowadays has imported parts somewhere inside. Interesting though didn't know they were owned by the Chinese. Figured if they were made here the company was American owned.

What's better is subjective and I'll admit I'm biased against anything GE been burned too many times. Your Mileage May Vary.

Oh crud I derailed your thread sorry about that Keri .
                        Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-06-2012, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
                          My GE dishwasher was recalled years after it was purchased for starting electrical fires (probably due to underrated wire) the only resolution was replacement and they would give a credit for another GE appliance. No Thanks.
                          Somehow that doesn't surprise me. Just a few months ago I had to replace my GE electric range (came with the house) after the oven caught fire. No there wasn't any food in it, the heating element went into thermal runaway (bad thermostat?) and ignited while pre heating. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher nearby and was able to put out the fire before it damaged anything other than the range itself. I replaced it with a Whirlpool. All the other GE appliances in my house had already been replaced due to less spectacular failures. Most of them were only 5-7 years old when they failed.
                          Needless to say I will never buy another GE appliance.

Comment

had a similar problem when i was around 10.
                            oven element developed a bright spot.told mom that the element was about to burn out.
                            how do you know?
                            explained the how and why.
                            30 min later i heard her scream and cuss.it melted and was arcing to the oven floor.
                            burned a hole through it.
                            replaced it and told her if you see that again we can replace it before it makes you cuss!
                            btw this was a 70's hotpoint(ge)

Comment

moved the political posts to here:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ewpost&t=18383
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X