Banshee howl vacuum cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banshee howl vacuum cleaner

Our old Hoover Dimension (U5209-930) ate something it didn't like while I was at work. On returning the wife says "it's making a strange noise". So I turn it on expecting a squeal, a rubbing sound, maybe some bearing noise. Instead, Holy Shit, what a racket! It sounded like a small F14 getting ready for a deck launch from our kitchen floor. It still did it with the drive belt off, so it had to be in the motor assembly. Took that off, looked in, and found that about 1/8th of the impeller had broken off, removing one whole blade and big chunk of the back plate. By hand the motor spins smoothly and quietly, so the broken impeller is the most likely culprit

Who knew a broken impeller could sound like that!?

Hopefully we can get the part locally tomorrow.

Re: Banshee howl vacuum cleaner

Try hooking up a washing machine hose to it.

Comment

i did....... just saying then again ive messed with alot of vacuums, usually resulting in fire.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by mathog View Post
        Hopefully we can get the part locally tomorrow.
        Obtained the part but then found that there was a lot of broken plastic inside the motor casing, and elsewhere. Replacing all of those pieces was going to add up to half the price of a new one, so we junked it.

We bought a Hoover UH30600. That model had a decent rating from Consumer Reports, and the Hoover that just died lasted around 20 years.

Unfortunately either this model or this unit sucks big time. And by that I mean, no matter what the height adjustment is set to, when the machine is turned on it glues itself to the floor like a big loud suction cup. Once it sticks down like that it is very hard to move it. I suspect that I could stick it to the wall and it would stay there. (Not going to test that though, since the other possible outcome is that it sucks a chunk of plaster out!)

Comment

Had this happen to a server CPU fan once....it shucked a blade off an 8500 RPM fan (I think a power connecter got tangled in it). On top of the horrendous noise it made, being out of balance, the machine began to literally vibrate itself to pieces.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

"i did....... just saying then again ive messed with alot of vacuums, usually resulting in fire."

I've not had one catch on fire from me messing with it but there are other ways to get it done!...LOL I sucked up a burning cigarette with one. Yes this makes for a great smoke screen... It didn't hurt thr Vac at all. It was and old one made of all metal.
            "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
            Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
            John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
            Rod Serling

Comment

how the hell would you start a fire with a vacuum cleaner?!
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                petrol
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

<--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

There are the usual sorts of electrical "short it out and catch fire" issues.

Beyond that, have you ever looked inside a vacuum cleaner bag? It is a loose mix of dust, lint and dirt. Dirt doesn't burn, but dust and lint sure do. Suck up a lit cigarette butt, and the bag could go up in flames. The bags themselves are often paper, and that burns too.
                    Last edited by mathog; 01-15-2014, 05:21 PM.

Comment

or by connecting mains right to the armature of the motor.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Or if there's a nearby gas leak...
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Yeah, or if you put more than 120V into it (240V for some folks)
                          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                            Yeah, or if you put more than 120V into it (240V for some folks)
                            Well if thats the case, do it right.....feed a 120VAC motor the wild leg of some 3-phase..... I bet that would be fun!
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Well if thats the case, do it right.....feed a 120VAC motor the wild leg of some 3-phase..... I bet that would be fun!
                              thanks for the ideas!

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Burn the netral wire! (what happens when 3 phase load gets way unbalanced)

Or go between two legs and have 1.4 times the fun! (208V if 120V 3 phase for example)
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                  Burn the netral wire! (what happens when 3 phase load gets way unbalanced)
                                  You are correct....but until that happens, enjoy the fireworks!
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                  X