emerson mini fridge clunking noise after power outage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

emerson mini fridge clunking noise after power outage

i guess the fridge kicked on at the same time i was using the microwave. my power strip clicked off. i turned it back on and thr fridge started making a horrible clunking/clicking noise. i unplugged it because i was worried something was damaged. should i try to plug it back in and see if it goes away?

Re: emerson mini fridge clunking noise after power outage

Compressors have a safety swtich inside that doesn't allow them to be powered up again for a few minutes of being powered down. This can make a buzz/clunk noise depending on the compressor. Leave it unplugged for 10~15 minutes and plug it in again, it should go away.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

It may of been the compressor trying to start . If you try to restart one that was just running it has head pressure . It will equlize in a few minutes .

Comment

Thanks for the reassurances guys it's running fine again I was afraid it would blow up lol.

Comment

^ well don't feel bad, not everybody has experience with HVAC.
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
            ^ well don't feel bad, not everybody has experience with HVAC.
            This has led me to a brilliant idea! Rip compressor out of my fridge and stick it in my truck
            and yes I'm not being serious

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
              i guess the fridge kicked on at the same time i was using the microwave. my power strip clicked off.
              You tripped the breaker in the strip, but...

Originally posted by shovenose
              i turned it back on
              The compressor was just running and your system hadn't equalized yet, but you "short cycled" it. Those compressors won't start against a pressure differential- the motor stalls and draws locked rotor amps:

and thr fridge started making a horrible clunking/clicking noise.
              "Hum-CLICK, hum-CLICK." The hum is that stalled motor, the click is the overload opening. Small compressors, such as used in your fridge, have external overloads and start-assists, which are usually PTC thermistors.

This is similar to the start device you have, except there's sometimes no capacitor, start or run, on those small fridges:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw37yFO5ZgQ

i unplugged it because i was worried something was damaged. should i try to plug it back in and see if it goes away?
              They'll eventually restart after several cycles. Larger machines, like window aircons, have much higher LRA, so you're really supposed to have an equalizing delay (electronic controls), or simply "wait three minutes before restarting."

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
              This has led me to a brilliant idea! Rip compressor out of my fridge and stick it in my truck
              and yes I'm not being serious
              (uh-oh, Shovey's being silly again!)

(aliexpress image)

The "DC24V" refers to the input voltage of the three phase inverter that powers it.

Isn't that neat? A little tiny compressor that runs on three phase AC!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by kaboom; 11-01-2014, 07:22 PM.
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

http://whitetrashrepairs.com/

Comment

^ I see your WTR, and raise you one Red Green.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmL1cgxQvic

"Watch the light go on when I open the door- just like a fridge!"
                  "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                  Originally posted by shango066
                  All style and no substance.
                  Originally posted by smashstuff30
                  guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                  guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

I will assume that Shovenose's fridge's compressor is the standard type and not like the 3 ph one in the pic. A 3 ph compressure would have lots of starting torque , and would have started with head pressure , but i would guess that the controll board for that 3 ph. compresure would have a timer keeping it from restarting for 3- 5 min. any way . All the newer dit. hvac thermostats have 5 min. timers in them for compresor safety .

Comment

Is the clunking coming from inside the compressor, or is at one of its legs that sits on rubber bushings? Because a bad bushing can make a compressor clunk at start-up or turn-off.

Comment

Just an update, it started clicking a little bit again, I unplugged it for about a day (yes, I relocated the contents into the big fridge temporarily) and now it's fine again.

If it does it again it's getting returned.

Comment

If the fridg. has a forced air cond. check , make sure its clean . A dirty condencer can run up the head pressure and might make the compressure make noise . If its a coil up the back or in the side walls , make sure its got air moving around it .

Comment

Working...
                          X