Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beko DE2541FS Dishwasher Controller Blown

Hi guys,

I have a Beko DE2541FS slimline dishwasher which has failed. Due to a short-circuit from the circulation motor cable connector to the base plate, the power control circuit device has blown (see photo. I have already fixed this once, due to burnt tracks to the heater solenoid). How the cable is fitted to allow it to touch the baseplate (which collects any leaking water) is a mystery and a BIG design problem!

The power control device for the circulation pump has blown apart, with the result that the component identification number is only partially visible now. The only number that I can make out is (AA)J823. The AA part is only partially visible, but I think it is correct. The J823 is clearly visible, but I'm unsure whether this is the actual device no., as it's right on one edge.

I am presuming that this device is a high voltage/power Triac, as it has to switch AC mains, but I could be wrong.

I have not been able to find anything useful at all about this device, the control board or the dishwasher itself - nothing of any use seems to be availbable, other that the most basic (and useless) wiring diagrams on a parts supplier's website.

Although replacement boards are available, there are several different part numbers, as they seem to use this PCB on many different models, presumable with different programming where the circuit is otherwise the same. They are also fairly expensive and I'd like to repair the PCB myself if possible, as it's only one component (hopefully). My PCB part no. is 1899450405.

Anybody got any info for this device, or a new device/controller/PCB for this dishwasher?

Any info/advice much appreciated, thanks.

Steve.
    Attached Files

Re: Beko DE2541FS Dishwasher Controller Blown

i just stripped a beko washing machine controller today, similar in many ways.
    the motor drive was a high comutation triac - BTB16-600BW

that may give you a starting point to find an smd version.
    the BW suffix is important to drive an inductive load.

Comment

Thanks a LOT STJ, that is a geat help!!!

Comment

btw, trace the gate pin back, if it goes direct to the microcontroller you will need a logic level triac, the one i stripped had a transistor driving the gate.

actually, looking at the foto it is direct from the atmel.
        so it would be something like a cw or sw series.
        Last edited by stj; 02-12-2015, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks again STJ. I'm not sure which type mine should be, as I bought a triac and fitted it before seeing your post. I couldn't find a suitable small format surface mount device, but bought an ST T1635-600G 16A 600V D2PAK triac from ebay. Being a larger size, I had to cut away some of the print on the PCB and re-link it to avoid it shorting out, which was not easy, but it has certainly done the job and the machine is now working fine again. The listing didn't state that it was snubberless, but with a Peak Non-rep. Surge Current of 160A, I was sure it was and it proved to be so. It doesn't look like it's logic level switching, but it works, which is what matters - as long as it lasts! It should, as I suspect it's got a higher current rating than the original device.

Anyone else wanting to do this, feel free to ask about the PCB mod if you're unsure, as it is quite a job and has to be done carefully as you're dealing with high-ish current at mains voltages!

Comment

Just a word of caution for those repairing dishwasher (appliance) control boards. This repair looked fine but for some I now throw out any mains-powered PCB with carbon-tracking or burns. The risk just isn't worth the savings.

Millions of dishwashers are a fire hazard, due to PCB breakdown/arcing and are part of huge recalls and class action lawsuits.
            You can search for: Bosch, KitchenAid, Whirlpool, Sears Kenmore, Maytag dishwasher fires.

Manufacturers are too cheap to conformal coat the PC boards, or mount them in a way to keep them dry. Or a junior engineer erred on the PCB layout creepage/clearance design spec. I see that a lot.

I have a Blomberg dishwasher with an real on/off switch, which is nice.

Comment

From spec sheet:
              Snubberless versions (BTA/BTB...W and
              T1635) especially recommended for use on
              inductive loads, because of their high
              commutation performances.
              It should be W version as STJ suggested because they did not put in RC snubber network on that board.
              BTW, the GATE is driven through R25.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by budm; 02-25-2015, 11:55 AM.
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Redwire, I agree, any sign of PCB burning and the panel should be binned. The burn on my unit was on the the power cable connector to the circulation motor, which had dropped down onto the baseplate and shorted when water leaked onto it. I would recommend anyone with one of these Beko slimline machines to re-position (or cable-tie) this cable above the other cables, so that it can't drop down onto the baseplate - BUT, only if you are confident in doing this & disconnect the power first! When this cable shorted out on mine, it took out the triac power controller, which I replaced safely (the PCB itself was OK and after moding the board for the new, bigger, triac, I coated it with insulating varnish). I am an Electronics Engineer with many years experience - I don't recommend anyone attempt anything like this unless you know what you are doing!

Comment

One last word of warning if you have one of these cheap and nasty machines; The sheet metalwork is very badly finished, or rather, not finished at all and is VERY SHARP on the edges!! This applies to pretty much all of it, even parts accessible to users!

I had to remove the sump on mine, as the seal had worked it's way loose and water was P****** out (can't have been properly fitted from new, as there's no way it could have come out otherwise). Anyway, as I was unscrewing it and trying to get it to drop down - working inside the machine - and I cut my hand badly (needed stitches) on the top edge of the circular metal hole in the bottom of the tub, just under the user-accessible filters - it was like a circular razor!! So, take great care, even if you're just cleaning one of these!
                  Last edited by baddesley; 03-10-2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X