Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Wine Fridge] How to replace multiplexed 7-segment displays

Dear all,

I try to repair a wine fridge (for fun reason) where the control board contains 2 7-segment displays with shorted circuits. Without them the control board doesn't work correctly and I can't control the fridge.

These 2 digits 7-segment displays are special because they have only 8 pins. After some Internet browsing I found that they may be produced by a chinese firm. On their website I found the schematic of the multiplexing they used and was able to confirm it with my multi-meter. Unfortunately the price is too dissuasive to buy only two units from them.

Does someone has any idea how I can replace them with some more traditional components? Otherwise I'll drop the fridge in my dustbin

Thank you for your help.
    Attached Files

Re: [Wine Fridge] How to replace multiplexed 7-segment displays

if your looking for fun, why not make your own display with 14 small rectangular led's and 2 small round led's and some stripboard?

or a microcontroller and a regular 2 digit display or lcd panel?

Comment

Unfortunately that LED looks custom and the "fun" work suggested by stj are your only options. Main problem being is that most 7-seg displays have only one common pin and yours have two common pins. Or if you want, you could hack up a light pipe doo-hickey with four standard 7-seg displays and use the segments of two 7-seg displays for each...

Comment

Thank you guys. I wasn't aware of rectangular LED and now I think this is a very good idea

I need to order some parts and try to design a replacement part.

I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
        X