Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Multimeters (Also Brymen BM869 repair)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Digital Multimeters

AFAIK The Fluke 27 HV probe is not for use on line circuits.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I was kind of surprised at the Fluke meters, my 77 also has a quote of 2000 hours on a 9V. I still have the original 2 for $1 carbon zinc in there, and it's still going strong. All of my other 9V meters quote only 200 hours or so, that's mind boggling with a 10:1 ratio, how could it be? Anyone keep good track and verify 2000 hours (I sure didn't keep track...)

I was testing a TSC7116CPL 3.5 digit LCD panel meter IC, and by itself it's drawing enough current to hit only about 200 hours on a 9V. Not sure who made this clone of Intersil's design...

I think worst of all is my B+K LCD DMM (not counting my Viz...). It draws a good 6mA or so, and runs off of C (UM2) batteries. A 9V would drop out in less than 100 hours hence the 6xC cells, I suppose.

My Viz Voltohmyst 3.5 digit uses 4 C (UM2) batteries. It should last only 3 to 4 hours. It uses an LED display and uses NiCd cells.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
        AFAIK The Fluke 27 HV probe is not for use on line circuits.
        You could be very well right. I don't know a lot about the HV probes and never did any research or documentation into it. Just something for the OP to investigate since we don't know what transformer he was measuring.

If I needed a HV probe myself, I would probably call in a professional to fix whatever is wrong or I would replace. Working occasionally on 400V DC is enough for me and that is with hands-free probes, eye protection, etc.
        Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-10-2016, 07:20 PM.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          The 27 is a workhorse, lasts 2000 (two thousand) hours on a 9V battery
          Doh, I meant 1000 (one thousdand) hours.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
            I was kind of surprised at the Fluke meters, my 77 also has a quote of 2000 hours on a 9V.
            Now that I saw your post, I realized I made a mistake with the Fluke 27 battery lifetime. It is 1000 hours, not 2000.

I did do a current draw test with my Fluke 77 II back in Oct 19, 2012. I posted the results at eevblog

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/ee...131/#msg155131

AC - 305 ua
            DC - 280 ua
            300mv - 270 ua
            ohms - 275 ua
            diode - 280 ua
            A AC - 305 ua
            A DC - 275 ua

Assuming a 550 mAh 9V battery, you see how it gets close to 2000 hours. I have a Radio Shack meter that draws less than 1 mA, but uses two AA cells. Assuming the two AAs are 2500mAh, I get 2500 hours battery life.
            Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-10-2016, 07:21 PM.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

All of my other 9V meters quote only 200 hours or so, that's mind boggling with a 10:1 ratio, how could it be?
              Ironically, the original Fluke 8020A which became so popular and historic had a 200 hour battery life. The next generation after the 8000 series was the 70 series that improved battery life by tenfold.

Imagine if all our products were designed to run 10x longer using the same battery source.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Regarding the BM869 and battery life. This recent thread at eevblog happened around the same time as this one. User over there might have had an oops moment at 300V or higher and it affected the battery consumption/draw of the BM869. However, he was able to troubleshoot and find the problem.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgea...-9v-batteries/

I estimate BM869 battery life around 110 hours using a 9V battery.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ah interesting, so I guess I will throw out the 9V when it dries up before all the zinc gets consumed? Also I wonder how much power the Fluke uses when using the beeper/in low ohms mode while actually measuring something. These situations I assume would truly use the most power. I guess I could sort of measure without removing the battery, just measure how much current flows through the test probes when the meter is measuring ohms. The beeper I'm not sure I have a choice.

Then again I think 200 hours is good enough. Most of the times that I'm forced to replace batteries is when I forget to turn the meter off. Usually I use a meter for a minute, take a few readings, and shut it off for hours. It should last a long time like that!

I think the worst battery consuming DMM I have uses an A23 battery... Too easy to leave on, and A23s are hard to find cheap.

Comment

Ah interesting, so I guess I will throw out the 9V when it dries up before all the zinc gets consumed?
                    I rotate my 9V batteries around. The new ones go into the smoke detectors on an annual basis. The used smoke detector 9V batteries go into other multimeters or devices around the home. The various devices that show low 9V battery then get put into the Fluke 70 series.

Once the Fluke 70 series low battery life indicator comes on, I use it until it gives inaccurate readings. Then, and only then, does it get recycled. I can usually squeeze another 100 to 150 hours out of the 9V when the low battery indicator comes on.

Also I wonder how much power the Fluke uses when using the beeper/in low ohms mode while actually measuring something.
                    The 77 II uses 0.60mA with probes shorted on resistance and 0.71mA with probes shorted on continuity/diode.

Then again I think 200 hours is good enough.
                    Depends. If I use a 9V battery, I want it to last more than 200 hours simply because I don't have an rechargeables. If the meter lasts 200 hours using AA or AAA, then I'm fine because I'm using eneloop ni-mh cells.

My Fluke 187 requires 4 AA and only lasts about 80 hours. So I use eneloops and just have another charged set/sets ready since they are LSD cells.
                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-12-2016, 08:28 PM.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                      Once the Fluke 70 series low battery life indicator comes on, I use it until it gives inaccurate readings. Then, and only then, does it get recycled. I can usually squeeze another 100 to 150 hours out of the 9V when the low battery indicator comes on.
                      I'd be kind of worried about running them so low that there's inaccuracy... I would hope the Fluke would shut off before the battery becomes an accuracy issue?

I know the cheap/free Harbor Freight DMM does have inaccuracy issues when the battery is run low... If I need that meter I make sure I replace the battery just to make sure I don't get fooled by an incorrect reading.

200 hours is a long time as long as you don't leave the meter on when not being used... that probably is the biggest killer, I doubt I'd measure a 5 ohm resistor for minutes at a time, and probably would get annoyed at the beeper turned on 100% duty cycle for 10 minutes to test a connection for intermittent continuity

Comment

i couldnt give a damn about the battery life, i just wish they would give a "low battery" warning *before* they start giving bullshit readings!

Comment

I would hope the Fluke would shut off before the battery becomes an accuracy issue?
                          Some of the newer Fluke models will display "batt" on the lcd and not let you take a measurement when the battery gets too low.

The older Fluke models just have a low battery icon and it is up to the user to change batteries ASAP.

Generally, I know what I'm measuring when I'm using the 70 series with the weak battery. If I'm measuring high voltage, then for sure, I'm grabbing a different meter with fresh batteries.

Well built quality meters protects users from an oops moment, but the biggest thing and best protection is still your brain and using it.

I know the cheap/free Harbor Freight DMM does have inaccuracy issues when the battery is run low.
                          Yes, you will get inaccurate readings before the low battery icon comes on with the cheaper meters.
                          Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-14-2016, 11:36 AM.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Actually my worry is that I measure lead acid batteries and use the voltage for state of charge... Inaccurate reading would make me believe the battery was in the wrong state. Yeah fortunately there's no safety problem here but it could cause me to think the battery was fully charged when it's not. Hundreds of millivolts matter!

I might have to go use my PSU and characterize my meters to tell which ones give me BS after (or before??!!) the battery annunciator comes on.

I guess this is a bonus of non FET analog meters.
                            Last edited by eccerr0r; 06-14-2016, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X