Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air supply for PACE desoldering station

Hi,
    I've being using a PACE MBT-200 desoldering station with internal vacuum pump with a SX55 desoldering iron which has stopped working. The heater module of the iron seems dead. Since a replacement part is quite expensive, I decided to upgrade to a newer station and got a ST 65. However, I have some questions on how to feed this unit with compressed air which I hope can be answered here.

The manual states:
    «*The ST 65 system utilizes an integral air venturi system to provide air pressure and vacuum for any connected PACE handpiece requiring air/vacuum. Your in-house air supply must be connected to the system power source.*The system must be connected to a clean, dry, and filtered, compressed air supply regulated to 5.48 Bar (80 P.S.I.). The Air Hose Fitting on the rear of the ST 65 requires a 1/8-27 NPT threaded airline fitting.»

I am therefore now trying to find a suitable compressed air source to feed the ST 65, preferably as a compact, quiet and easy to operate unit.

- are 12V mini air compressors plugging into a car cigarette lighter adapter usable with desoldering stations ?
    If so, is it better to get one exactly rated at 80 PSI, or one rated higher with an adjustable pressure and an automatic switch-off feature once the target pressure has been reached ?

- would a fridge compressor be a better option ? Does it then need a pressure switch to make sure that the pressure feeding the ST 65 is within a given range ?

- could the vacuum pump of the MBT 200 station be modified to run as a compressor ? is it going to provide enough pressure ?

Thanks !

Re: Air supply for PACE desoldering station

The system must be connected to a clean, dry, and filtered, compressed air supply
    wont be cheap.
    you need a compressor, a pressure vessel, a regulator-valve, a filter or 2, a centrifugal moisture-extractor and possibly more.

Comment

thanks for your answer. I did not realize that supplying air to this station would be that tedious...

Comment

it's designed for a shop with lots of stations and a central air supply.

Comment

If you do get it working it will not let you down.

Comment

Working...
          X