Jenn-Air Broiler Fan Runs Constantly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jenn-Air Broiler Fan Runs Constantly

Good thread on the dim Jenn-Air clock. I had to do this repair a few years back as well. Now for another well-known Jenn-Air problem that has not been figured out (as far as I know). The same models that have the dim clock also develop quirky problems with the main controller board. Intermittently, you will get an error code that starts up for no apparent reason. Pressing the Cancel/Off button stops it and away you go.

But the real irritating problem that develops in these units is that the broiler fan starts running all the time. Actually, the fan starts up at a very low temperature, far below the 500 degrees that the manual states as normal. This fan is designed to keep the space between the cooktop and the oven cool when the broiler is turned on (or if the oven is in self-cleaning mode).

The fan is turned on by a relay on the relay (controller) board. Obviously, there is a faulty sensor somewhere that knows when broil/clean is on, and 500 degrees has been reached. An obvious place to start is the main oven thermostat, but that's not it (replaced years ago). I've been all over the controller board replacing electrolytics, resoldering, checking for leaky parts without any luck.

It is possible there may be some kind of sensing in the timer pc assembly, since that board is actually located in the space that requires cooling. Since there is already a track record of the display caps failing, I may go in for another close look at the timer. There is actually serial data being exchanged between the timer assembly and the controller board so its not so simple.

Has anyone been successful with the well-known broiler fan problem?

Thanks!
    Is it plugged in?

Re: Jenn-Air Broiler Fan Runs Constantly

Actually, the broiler fan problem HAS been confirmed to exist on the main controller/relay pcb. But, I would like to get a handle on how to fix it at the component level. Someone out there knows about it, I'm sure.
    Is it plugged in?

Comment

I am an ignoramous, but maybe the relay is broken and always set to on?
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I have previously replaced the two caps (a filter cap and one smaller value cap IIRC) on my oven's controller board without removing the board from the oven. I didn't feel like disconnecting what seemed like 50 wires running to it from all over inside the oven. So I really didn't get a good look at what makes that board tick. Thankfully I have not had the fan problem yet. It may help that I use my oven very rarely.

Perhaps you could take a picture of your controller board for our experts to look at. I would definitely replace the two caps on it. I would also look out for the presence of another micro-controller on that board (you mentioned serial comm between the two). It may have a ceramic resonator that is going wonky. Also I remember that when fooling around with my clock module when the oven still had power, the fan would activate soon after the clock module was unplugged from the controller board. So there could be some bad connections between boards or even bad solder joints that are causing these symptoms in your case.

Comment

Relay: Yes the relay runs the fan and it turns off and on, just not at the right times. Supposed to come on @ 500 degrees, which is during broiling or oven cleaning. Instead, it comes on at about 250 degrees and keeps running until the oven is almost cold - then it shuts off.

I've had that main board out on my bench several times and probably replaced everything that looked like it would be sensitive to heat. These days, temp sensors come in all sorts of packages, so I'll give it another go with freeze spray, but I think I already did that a few years ago.

uPC crystal is a good thought. Usually you find the 37KHz bus crystals give you the most trouble. The crystal (or tuning caps) could also be the cause of erratic error codes that don't relate to anything. A part that changed value is also likely. The official fix is to order the "new style" controller board with a metal heat shield that goes between the board and the oven. If the oven hasn't been used, I guess that's why the controller board hasn't acted up.

One more important thing on this oven type. Don't spray cleaners like Windex around the touch pad. The fluid creeps into the touch pad flex connector and the membrane, ruining them.
          Is it plugged in?

Comment

There is probably a thermocouple somewhere that trips the relay.
            It or a related component has shifted value due to age.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

since it sounds highly electronic (not just basic thermocouple to relay), i would would look at the themo sensor (blue or green sensor-small) and any capacitor on the circuit. replace the electrolytic caps for sure.

something in the sensor circuit is funky... sounds like its acting like a capacitor (once it starts it takes forever to stop).

one other possibility is something nearby is heating up and taking a while to cool down and at the same time the thermo sensor is out of calibration (bad sensor or other component in circuit.

a schematic would help a lot. somebody know of one?
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

A Thermo Sensor is a Thermocouple. Also called an RTD.
                It's a variable resistor.
                Unless a cap is shorted it's not going to change much.
                A relay would be used because it's old tech and switching AC to the fan.
                The Thermocouple would switch a transistor that powers/de-energizes the coil in the relay which sends power to the fan.
                Most likely suspects are the thermocouple and the relay (reported working) but it could be the transistor.
                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 06-16-2011, 11:36 PM.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

i know (other than my terminology snafu), but i'd imagine there is more than just a transistor involved. maybe not though...

some ovens have real time temp feedback... to the OP, if your oven supports it, are the temp feedback values accurate? if you had some way to test the temp inside, then assuming both systems (fan control and temp feedback) are using the same thermocouple, then you could rule out a bad thermocouple based on your readings.
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    i know (other than my terminology snafu), but i'd imagine there is more than just a transistor involved. maybe not though...
                    Well, yeah. The transistor has to be biased somehow.

Might not even be a transistor though.
                    A mechanical thermostat with a thermocouple could be switching the coil.
                    [That's what my fridge has. A mechanical thermostat sends [or removes] voltage from a pin on an IC. - I REALLY wish I didn't know because that would mean I never had to fix it..]

HEY OP!
                    A model number might help...

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Trolling aimlessly [BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW THE MODEL NUMBER] though a Jenn-air oven parts catalog suggests a mechanical thermostat is typical.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

The actual Jenn-Air model I have is the SVE-47500. But, the controller board along with all its quirks is used in a number of Jenn-Air oven models, and many more of the generic Jenn-Air ovens as well - (different manufacturer names). symptoms are the same in all of them. The controller boards are made by RobertShaw and schematics are proprietary.

So all the foregoing troubleshooting theory is sound enough. One might think that since the trouble is related to the temperature of the oven, and furthermore that the problem happens reliably each and every time, that some freeze spray would instantly bring us to the culprit. No luck with that method. But we do know that replacing the main controller board fixes the problem. I've never heard of a relay that turns itself on an off. A leaky relay driver transistor is certainly a possibility, but again, a blast of freeze spray would instantly show that problem. I'm leaning towards a pc trace that opens up when the board gets warm. Think I'll have another close look at this aspect. Will post some photos when I remove the board.
                        Is it plugged in?

Comment

Yes but at most appliance parts places if you don't have a model number you can't look ANYTHING up.
                          Just looking for a pic of the controller at this point.

You said the relay works so if cold spray does nothing that suggests the thermostat contacts have failed open or shut, or perhaps an open conductor.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

This it?
                            http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta...200&locID=3124

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

That's the one! Appliance repair forums are full of references to the problem and to the solution (new board). The new board comes with a metal heat shield that fits between the board and the oven. All that information leads to 2 places. 1) there is a temp. sensing part on the board that is faulty. I don't go for this explanation because the board is on the back of the oven and without an external sensor (like the oven temp sensor), it can't know what the oven temp really is. 2) A part on the board has changed value or become leaky, or a trace opens up when the board is warm. I go for this one big time. The actual oven temp sensor works fine keeping the oven at the correct temp, BTW. As I said. Since I am thinking about the problem I'm getting out my hair dryer and freeze mist to see if I can force something to happen.
                              Is it plugged in?

Comment

I saw some complaints of a conductor in a ribbon cable breaking due to being pinched when installed.
                                Not sure what to make of that [if it applies] because I haven't seen the whole thing together.
                                - Might check continuity on any ribbon cables involved..

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

I've done a lot of troubleshooting on this problem, which has been reported almost as often as the JennAir dim clock symptom. Although I have not discovered exactly what the problem is, I'd like to summarize the information that is known, so that others might be able to take it farther than I could.

Photos show the original (faulty) board that came with the range (1995). Here is what is known:
                                  1) Correct fan operation is to come on when the oven is set to broil or shortly after initial warmup. The fan will then run until the oven temp again reaches about 200 degrees, then shut off. Faulty operation is for the fan to keep running for hours after the oven is cool, or forever.

2) The problem (as yet unknown) is on the main controller board and is fixed by replacing the board (confirmed) - costs over $200.00.

3) The controller board is absolutely not sensitive to freezing or heating - the only outside sensor used is the oven temp sensor inside the oven. Freezing the temp sensor with freeze spray will stop the fan. Those results suggest that one or more parts have changed value or failed permanently.

4) DC operating voltages are produced on the controller board (13 volts and 6 volts) by linear means and crude zener diode regulation. There are only 2 electrolytic filters on the board (both replaced).

5) The fan is turned on by the uPC which sends a high signal to a relay drive IC (shown) that produces and active low on one side of the fan relay coil. The other side of the coil is controlled by a switched +12 volts, glue logic and other unfathomable logic processes which ultimately are controlled by the uPC.

6) The main uPC "fan on" output (pin 26) and relay drive work normally. The mystery lies in the logic (and lots of it) connected to the other end of the relay coil. Personally, I can't understand why the uPC can't do all the work and just issue one output, but I really have no experience in heat control designs.

7) All indications are that the problem is on the daughter board shown in the photos. Lines to the daughter board go back and forth to the oven thermostat plug (J10) and to the uPC, then back and forth to a calibrating resistor (J9) on the main board. The calibration resistor at J9 is not used on the new controller board and that is the only discernible difference between the two boards as far as I can tell.

8) The daughter board contains 2 ic's and a handful of transistors - one LM339 quad comparator and one LM224 quad op amp (both ic's were replaced). No obviously faulty transistors or resistors. There are 2 SMD caps on the rear (.15 ufd). Found one leaky and replaced with no difference.

Why there needs to be 4 comparators and 4 op amps I have no idea, especially with a uPC and an EEprom. I imagine that at least one function is a precision reference voltage. Another may be a current sensing circuit. I think the decision to run the fan takes place on this board, then is sent to the uPC, but this is not a certainty. There are a handful of transistors on the main board as well. None of them show any signs of being faulty on either board.

The new board comes with a metal shield that fits between the controller and the back of the oven. The sheet that comes with the new controller says that the shield "is to block the path of any potential moisture from contacting the back of the relay (controller) board." Don't know if I believe that part. Why there would be moisture on the back of the oven? It makes a lot more sense that the shield would deflect or disperse some of the oven heat.

That's all I know. The new controller fixes the problem. I hope someone can take this information and find something I missed; at least its a start. There's probably a 10 cent part that has changed value. I don't think that the uPC just forgot a few lines of code; all other functions on the old board, including keeping the oven at the proper temperature, work normally.

Longbow
                                  Attached Files
                                  Is it plugged in?

Comment

Did you check the components between the microcontroller and the temperature sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by Longbow View Post
                                      Don't know if I believe that part. Why there would be moisture on the back of the oven?
                                      Condensation as it cools down after use.
                                      Would only be a problem in high humidity.
                                      Generators of any significant size actually have heaters that come on when they are shut down for that exact reason.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                        Did you check the components between the microcontroller and the temperature sensor?
                                        Remember, the oven temperature is controlled normally by the oven temp sensor. That eliminates the temp sensor and the circuit that controls the oven temp. On the other hand, the circuit that decides when to turn the fan on and off also uses the same sensor, but different logic, presumably located on the daughter board, a double sided board with SMD components. Checking components? Of course. It would be an easy problem if there were a simple smoked part. It could very well be a board leakage problem. Too bad that daughter board isn't available separately.

As above, one side of the fan relay coil is controlled directly by one uPC output pin acting through a relay driver. The other end of the coil is controlled by a massive amount of on-board logic elements, transistors, ic's, etc. I can't do much more without a schematic.
                                        Last edited by Longbow; 07-27-2011, 09:22 AM.
                                        Is it plugged in?

Comment

Working...
                                        X