Hotpoint FDW60 Flextronics module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotpoint FDW60 Flextronics module

Hi I might be in the totally wrong place here but any help would be gratefully appreciated. Over here in the UK I have discovered numerous dishwashers that are catching fire the problem is starting with the Flextronic timer module that over a period of time seems to be carbonising and eventually catching fire, while searching for people having similar problems I came across this link in Australia
    http://spares.bigwarehouse.com.au/pr...cts_id=1649782
    If you go to this post they say the module burnt: Ariston L64 A143206 power circuit board 2010-12-28 16:51:03

As I mentioned before I am trying to uncover all incidents with this component if anyone is aware of others that have had similar problems please let me know.

I have posted a blog that gives further info regarding this

http://dishwasherfire.blogspot.co.uk/

Thank you for your time

Re: Hotpoint FDW60 Flextronics module

That's crazy!
    Thanks for posting. Will keep an eye out if I see any of the mentioned dishwasher brands.

Comment

was it running a cycle at the time?
      My pc
      CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
      MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
      RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
      PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
      GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

And I thought the infamous Jenn-air Dim display was the worst appliance electronics fail around here...
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

around here hotpoint=g.e.
          seems some ge dishwashers are recalled due to fire.
          same issue?

Comment

Lots of Whirlpool brand dishwashers here catch fire.

Our last Whirlpool started stinking, and didn't wash well. A week after I gutted it, that same exact model was recalled!

Our current KitchenAid (made by Whirlpool (sigh!)) had the soap dispenser solenoid catch fire (melted, and smoked). That shorted out and burnt up the damn control board too. Costs over $150 for a new control board!
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Another website, about how Whirlpool (makes KitchenAid) ignores these DANGEROUS issues!

http://kitchenaidfire.com/

Click the "Whirlpool Customers with Concerns" button to see ALL the complaints!
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I guess we will be leaving our old dishwasher alone then. My parents have been wanting to change it for a while now since it's fairly old. I say old and proven, though. Will try to convince them to leave it. Not like anything is wrong with it either. They are just watching too many crappy renovation shows on HGTV. IMO, "stainless steel" appliances are overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  IMO, "stainless steel" appliances are overrated.
                  Agreed.

Ours is "stainless steel"
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Hi, No it had completed the cycle I have found that the connections are overheating and carbonising until it eventually ignites. The dishwashers are generally 4 to 5 years old before eventually setting on fire...

Comment

Yes, there seems to be a common pattern where the other components such as soap dispenser solenoid will fail and cause the control boards to fail, either by popping a component or fire.

My friend has my old FDW60 and I've told him about this issue. It's about 8 years old at this point having been used heavily, almost non-stop in a home with a lot of people.

The saving grace might be that for the last few years the tablet dispenser has never been used, because the lid gets stuck if you close it.
                      I wonder if the solenoid gets stuck trying to open the dispenser and the board overheats.

Interestingly I became aware of this issue because an SDW60 (slimline) at a company I visited was making an interesting 'hot' smell - so it got turned off. Whatever the issue was it must have been fixed because it's in use again.

Comment

Originally posted by frontshop View Post
                        Hi, No it had completed the cycle I have found that the connections are overheating and carbonising until it eventually ignites.
                        Ah nothing new and unexpected about that then. I've seen this happen in many other appliances. My uncle's electric boiler, for example, melted the power switch in a similar fashion until the breaker tripped.

Those connectors always seem to cause trouble in high current applications. In my opinion, they should NEVER be used for high current.

The worst I've seen (and had to fix) was in an ACHI Pro-SC rework station. There, the Chinese used screw terminal connectors and stranded wire. Now this would have been fine if they cared to tin the ends of the stranded wire before screwing it on the connectors - but they didn't. Result: lots of heat. In fact, there was so much of it that the main screw terminal block that hooks up all of the power wires melted. The ACHI Pro-SC being a 240V station, you can imagine the bang this thing made when live shorted to ground. I was actually there when that happened.

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                          Another website, about how Whirlpool (makes KitchenAid) ignores these DANGEROUS issues!

http://kitchenaidfire.com/

Click the "Whirlpool Customers with Concerns" button to see ALL the complaints!
                          Even if impossible to understand, the label of a control unit on the last video looks like it says
                          "MADE IN CHINA" at 1:59.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Thankfully after many phone calls to Hotpoint Indesit I have finally forced a recall, I was interested to find that GE who used to own Hotpoint also issued further recalls on the same day. you can read my full story here http://dishwasherfire.blogspot.co.uk/ please keep safe and never use timers on white goods especially at night

Comment

I once had an APC UPS (Back-UPS ES 350) that died thanks to a connector of the same type melting. It ran fine on battery, but the outlets shut off when AC was connected.

More on topic, I have a recalled Bosch dishwasher. I wonder if it's a similar board causing the problems. I called a repair shop, and they said they would order the part and call me when it got in. They still haven't called me back after about a month and a half...

Comment

Hi Cheapie

Bosch have performed several recalls in the UK with the same problem, relay burning out on the control board!

http://dishwasherfire.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Looks like most "Bosch" stuff is meh Chinese stuff.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by frontshop View Post
                                    Bosch have performed several recalls in the UK with the same problem, relay burning out on the control board!
                                    Do you know the affected model numbers on those by any chance?

I know my sister has a Bosch dish washer that she bought only a few years ago. Will be visiting her this summer so would like to check that.

Comment

Hi All,

You can check your Bosch model here

http://www.bosch-home.com/us/support...er-recall.html

There is a list of the current UK model recalls here

http://www.itv.com/news/2013-03-15/d...ch-dishwasher/

The list of machines was too long to copy and paste!!! I think over in the USA you will probably have different model numbers.

Best regards
                                      www.dishwasherfire.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Looks like affected models only include dishwashers made between 1999-2005, so my sister's won't be in that list (I think she got it around 2009 or 2010).

Comment

Working...
                                        X