Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghetto Cap Replacement Tips

Part 1/3

I thought it might be useful to contribute some of the things I have learnt using TCs method to replace caps. I have done several successful cap replacement projects using the information and assistance from people on this board and I thank you all. Without this board I would not have attempted these projects so big thanks to TC and his technique.

Firstly I think it is important to have a proper solder station. It is not necessary to get a digital one but feel free if you have the money. You should choose one from a major manufacturer like Hakko, Goot, Weller or ERSA which I use. I chose ERSA because it is available locally and all the parts/tips/sponges are also available locally which will prolong the life of the station, rather than ordering a japanese station from far and not having good access to the parts. You should also order 2 extra sponges and the correct tips from the supplier. Get 3 tips including one standard. It may be difficult or expensive to find them later. You will find out your own personal preference of tip by using all 3.

A 60W station is recommended, preferably one with antistatic properties. The higher wattage is recommended because the traces in the board eat up a lot of the heat from your iron. The wattage does not mean more temperature but it means that temperature can be maintained with bigger jobs.

You will not be getting anywhere with one of the corded 22W irons with fine tip from goot which I originally bought, it is not hot enough to melt the solder on the board to remove the caps. Anyway the 60W will be also useful for doing other jobs like making stereo cables or doing some electrical wiring. The good thing about proper solder stations is that they have a stand which includes a sponge. This is very important because you will need somewhere to safely put the iron while you are messing about with the board. The wet sponge is also important because you must constantly clean the iron of excess solder using the sponge in order to do a nice job.

You might think that you need a hot air pencil and desoldering station. These would make your job very easy but are an unnecessary expense if you are to recap only a few boards. Start small and you have not wasted too much money if you dont have success. Then when you move on to bigger projects you may wish to invest in better equipment.

For the solder station you will need a good tip. The size and length is very important. The smaller width and longer the tip, the less heat from the heater of the iron will be transferred to the tip.

I have found very thin tips to be useless with my iron, you just cannot melt the original solder on the board. Common guidelines say that you need a tip which is the same width as the pad which you are soldering. I am currently using a standard tip which is a chisel type. It is much wider than the pads on a board but I am using it so the thin corner contacts the pad and the rest of the tip contacts the lead.
    Last edited by willawake; 03-06-2005, 04:52 PM.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Part 2/3

You will also need to get some solder. I am using Alpha-Fry Technologies 60/40 solder which is 2.2% flux and 0.8mm diameter. It is probably not the optimum but the best that was available. The 0.8mm i have found is good for the job, maybe a little too big but fine.

Of course you will need some capacitors, they will need to be Low-ESR so be careful in your choice. It is recommended to get Panasonic FC or Rubcon MCZ,MBZ, ZA, ZLG, ZL, ZLH, YXG, YXH, YXF in that order. Dont worry if you can only find ZL or YXG they are great. If you are replacing a series of 0.8cm capacitors for best effect you will have to source replacement 0.8cm caps but this may prove impossible. Dont worry you will have to bend the leads to fit if you can get only 1.0cm caps. It will look ugly but the board will still work fine. It is commonly recommended to recap all values 1000uf and higher but in some rare cases the lesser caps may be operating badly and will need to be replaced.

I am in Greece and using the UK based RS Components for Panasonic FC caps.
    http://www.rs-components.com/

The most important thing to get is some safety glasses or your normal prescription glasses. This is very important because you will be working with your face near the board and not only may the iron slip but there is always some splatter of flux from the work. This is a very serious consideration.

In order to remove the capacitors you will need some sort of board holder. I am using two wood clamps which are turned upside down and attached to the table. The board fits inbetween the two handles and the sliding bars of the clamps and is held vertically. You will not be able to do the job well without a board holder, the iron will slip and you will get burnt. I have found the best position is for the top of the caps to be facing you and you will be holding the iron at the back of the board.

First start working on a trash motherboard get used to removing and reinstalling capacitors on that board. Buy some of the cheapest capacitors and install them on that board. Read some of the links I have put at the bottom of this thread. The most important thing is to learn what is a good solder joint and learn to do that well before you start. The capacitor removal is actually the easier part.

Before you start to work, set the iron to 450oC and leave it for a while in the stand. Dont start work immediately, let the iron warm up good for 10mins or more until it is optimally hot.

Remove all RAM, CPU, Cards from the board before you start work.

Get your antistatic wrist strap and have it on the wrist of the hand using the iron. Attach the other side of the strap to the rear of your computer case or another good grounding point. Always wear the wrist strap while you are working or holding the board.

Then heat up one of the capacitors leads so your iron is contacting the pad around the hole and the lead. Then apply a touch of solder to the solder already there. This is important because it will assist you in heating all the solder quickly and removing the capacitor. Do the same to the other lead. Then you will heat again one of the pads and leads and wiggle and push the capacitor towards the other lead. Then do the same with the other lead. You will make your own technique here. Some people like to heat both leads and wiggle them out at the same time. Others like to alternately heat and wiggle each lead until the capacitor is free. Or even get one lead completely out and then work on the other.

The most important thing is to ensure that the capacitor is coming free of the board reasonably easy, that all the solder in the hole is heated before you start pulling. If you are having difficulties then try the alternate lead heating method. Dont rush and dont force it because you may damage the board.

Personally i like to remove one capacitor and then install the new one. Others like to make a diagram and then remove all the capacitors first. There are pros and cons with each method. If there is a row of capacitors you will need to remove the entire row before installing the new ones because you will need to angle some of the capacitors if the ones you are installing are 10mm width rather than the 8mm originally installed.

It is best to make a diagram first anyway with the position of the white hemisphere around the hole also noted on the diagram signifying the position of the capacitors negative lead. This white hemisphere is where you will place the negative lead marked as a stripe down the body of the capacitor.

This diagram is useful for final checking before you apply power to the board. Mark also the places where a capacitor is marked for installation but never was installed. Some boards have this due to design changes. You may like to put an X with a sharpie/marker pen on the actual board there to prevent you making a mistake.

Please note also that some boards may have an incorrect stencil showing the white hemisphere of the negative lead at the positive lead instead. We have seen this in practice with one or two caps on a board. Recently I have seen an ASUS TUSL board where the entire stencil was wrong. If you followed it all the caps would be inserted backwards and would blow. So you want to start with checking the position of the white hemisphere with the original caps on the board before you start. Otherwise you could be making a big mistake. It is more likely that the stencil is wrong and the stripe down the capacitor marks the position of the real negative lead. So make sure that your diagram is correct before you start.

Once you have removed the capacitor you will need to clear the hole of solder. Some prefer to leave the solder in and then install the cap by heating the other side of the board as you push. I think this method is not the easiest. In order to clear the hole you will need a solder sucker which is a cheap desoldering tool also known as a solder bulb. It is not one of the mechanical ones where you compress the lever and then it is locked and when you press the button it sucks the solder away. It is not recommended to use a mechanical soldapult because the recoil can impact the board and damage a trace or otherwise the strong suction can remove the lead port from the board which is a foil around the inside of the hole and makes the electrical connection to the traces.

You can find these desoldering bulbs at any soldering shop. I usually heat up both hole pads on the front of the board for a few seconds before heating up the back, this seems to assist and pushes any excess solder from the capacitor removal into the hole. Then you will position the solder sucker flush against the hole on the front of the board and then heat up the correct hole by contacting the iron in the middle of the hole on the back of the board for a few seconds . You will then check that the solder sucker is over the middle of the hole and then squeeze and release the bulb while the iron is still on the hole at the back of the board. This is where your board holder is most useful because the board must be very steady otherwise you will not stay in the middle of the hole with the solder sucker.
    Last edited by willawake; 03-06-2005, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Re: Ghetto Cap Replacement Tips

Originally posted by willawake
      The most important thing to get is some safety glasses or your normal prescription glasses. This is very important because you will be working with your face near the board and not only may the iron slip but there is always some splatter of flux from the work. This is a very serious consideration.
      That is very good advice!! Years ago, I peeled a great big solder spash off the very center of one of my eyeglass lenses. Accidents happen. I shudder to think what that would have done to me if I'd not been wearing glasses.

-Dave

Comment

yeah before i figured out the board holder I had the iron slip once and hit me in the glasses with the hot end. lucky also that i got glass lenses otherwise it would have been expensive. got a full safety kit now cos i do a lot of diy, ear protection, safety glasses, workmans gloves, fluke AC detector 8) and cost so little for all that. got the ear protection after drilling through walls for a cabling installation left me a little deaf for a few days.

the most important safety factor is tiredness, if you are tired or your attention is not fully on the job then leave it for tomorrow. It is when you are most likely to get injured and the work is going to be sloppy so better leave it for the next day. another consideration is time constraints, if you are rushing to finish then it is also dangerous and the work will not look professional

Comment

Good writeup Thanks!

Stickied!
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Part 3/3

It is not completely necessary to use the solder sucker, you could do the whole job with the needle/dental pick as below :

If you fail to clear the hole completely you may try again but only once more. If you still fail to clear the hole, dont worry you may use TCs needle technique. TC recommends using a stainless steel dental pick. I have had good success using a stainless steel sewing needle. What you do is heat up the hole on the back of the board and insert the needle into the hole from the front of the board and wiggle it around while still heating until you clear the hole. When you come to install the new capacitor you will realise whether you have cleared the hole enough. Dont force the capacitor lead into the hole, you must try again with the needle to clear the hole better.

When you have finished look at the front of the board and clear excess solder from the holes using a finger nail, piece of wire or razor knife. Dont scratch the board while you are doing this, you may damage a wire trace. Better to clean only where it is going to make a short and then leave ithe rest than damage the board.

Then you are ready to install the new capacitor. You will decide whether you like to trim the leads to about 1cm small or leave them long before you install. If the hole is small then it will be easier to pass 1cm of leads through rather than then whole lead.

Look at the board, you will see a white semi-circle or mark at one side of the circle. You must match up the white/silver/gold line that goes down one side of the capacitor with this white mark. This shows the negative lead. Pay attention to this it is important, the capacitor will blow if installed incorrectly.

So you will get both of the capacitors leads down the correct holes. Do not force the capacitor, you must bend the leads together slightly so they are going to go down both holes nice, do not force the capacitor, if you have problems bend the leads some more or maybe you will have to clean the hole better using the needle again.

You may think that it would be good to bend the leads of the capacitor outwards once it is in the board in order to help it stay on the board while you are soldering. This is incorrect. You must have the leads standing up in the centre of the holes in order to solder well. You will take the board from the board holder and have it upside down on your table. This is where some little boxes or other things of various heights will help you. You will need to make the board stable and also to support the capacitor that you will be soldering using a little box or something between it's top and the desk so it is flush to the board and standing straight.

Then you will heat up both the pad around the hole and also the lead with the iron. You will choose to position the solder at a point where there is an obvious space between the lead and the pad around the hole. Have your iron at the other side. Then you will feed solder into the hole. If you have difficulties heating the lead and pad enough you may touch the solder quickly on the iron and then feed down the hole.

You will probably realise that you needed less solder and time than you imagined. Check with the links below and understand what is a good solder joint and then try to make the next one better. This is where technique is difficult to teach. You must understand a good solder joint and then modify your technique until you achieve it. I think that the 450oC may be too hot to achieve a perfect joint though but it is easier to have the iron the same heat as to remove caps. Do the other lead now.

When you have finished you will use a small pair of wire clippers to clip the excess leads. I recommend the 8PK-30D from Pro's Kit which is a great taiwanese company and not very expensive. Big standard wire clippers will not do a good job, you need proper micro clippers, these are also useful if you want to trim the leads of the capacitor before installing.

When you have a row of capacitors to replace you will need to remove them all. Then you will have to try to replace them in a nice looking way. You may have problems because the replacement caps are 1.0cm width rather than the 0.8cm width installed on the board already. You will need to bend the capacitors leads before installing to have some of the row bending to the left and the others bending to the right. Otherwise as TC says you can install a capacitor lying down. Be careful that the capacitors you are installing will not affect installation of a CPU/Heatsink, AGP card, ram etc. Most of all dont get pissed off and start pushing the caps around. Do it all gently and if it will still look like shit at least your board will still work because you were gentle. if you are getting pissed off then forget it, think it out better and try again tomorrow because calm work looks more pro.

If you are a beginner you may like to do a few caps and then check that your board still posts, then continue. If your technique is no good then you will know before wasting a lot of caps and at least you will know which area to look for the problem. It will also give you confidence when you know the first caps you did were nice.

It is not recommended to reheat the solder you have applied to new caps and then apply more if there is a problem. This may result in a worse joint. Better to do the entire process to remove the cap, clean the hole and start again.

The most important thing is to take your time. When you realise that you are rushing because of time constraints better to stop and do it again some other time.

Pay attention to the values of the capacitors before you remove them. It is easy to mistake a lower value for a 1000uf and remove it by mistake. You want to replace the 1000uf and above. You may use 10V caps instead of 6.3V but be careful that they will fit. The Panasonic FC I got are the same width 1.0cm for both 6.3V and 10V so that is a non issue in their case. please read the forum and ask questions if you are not sure about the values or would like to use different values. Make sure you are using good quality Low ESR caps. The regular caps you will find easily are no good and your board will not be stable.

When you have finshed you will need to clean the flux from around the solder joints and also the flux splatters which may be around the board. You will need to use a FLUX-OFF spray. I am using one from Cramolin which is called FLUX-OFF and is dimethoxymethane. This will damage plastics and PVC so you will spray a little around the solder joints and manipulate the excess using a cotton bud or Q-tip (normally used for cleaning your ears) so it does not flow down a hole to the other side of the board. Then you can rub the excess flux around the joints using the bud. After doing all the joints and checking for ones i have missed i leave the board with a halogen desk lamp (or other hot desk lamp) about a foot from it for 10mins to ensure that all the FLUX-OFF has evaporated.

Then i will visually check the board for little pieces of solder or other leads that have stuck to the board and may make a short. I also blast the board on both sides with some canned air for the same reasons.

Check the board again using the diagram to see that the capacitors you have installed are the correct values and are installed in the right direction before you apply power to it.

Once you get the board to boot you can apply some memory or CPU testing utilities to it for a few days. In case you dont get a visual on the monitor, check your monitor connections, ram seating, cpu seating before you decide you made a soldering mistake. I guarantee that if you were reasonably careful you will get a boot. The boards can take some soldering abuse.

Good luck with your new board. DIY will make you very happy and you may go on to some other soldering task such as making a stereo amp kit or something. A worthwhile way to pass the weekend and very rewarding.

Here are the links.

Elecraft Builder Resources (Click on Soldering Tutorial)

http://www.elecraft.com/Apps/K2info.html

Apogee Kits Downloads (Click on ApogeeKits Free Illustrated Guide to Electronics Soldering)

http://www.apogeekits.com/downloads.htm

The Basic Electronics Soldering & Desoldering Guide

http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm

United Chemi-Con - Installation of Non-Solid and Solid Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors

http://www.chemi-con.com/guide/pg13.php
            Last edited by willawake; 03-06-2005, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Hope you don't mind me piggy-backing my response in here - great tips, BTW.

How necessary is it to get solder into the hole? I've done a fair bit of soldering over the last twenty or so odd years, but it has all been on single (or at most, double) sided boards.

I'm concerned with the importance of ensuring solder flow into the inside traces, into the "meat" of the mainboard sandwich.

Should this be a big concern, or is a good solid joint on the external traces sufficient?

Comment

there is a foil lead port which connects the solder pads on the front and back of the board and surrounds the inside of the hole, making a connection to the traces. once you have a solder connection to it, you are ok. That is why there is so much concern about damaging the lead port by using excessive suction during desoldering or bad techniques like drilling the old solder out the hole. if the lead port is damaged then you would need solder to fill the hole completely through the board, it could be difficult.

i like to get some solder down the hole to hold the caps nicely. if you have done soldering before then you will definitely succeed.

Comment

That's good information to know; thanks Willawake.

Comment

Working...
                  X