Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rework Station Pump - Can They Be Repaired ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rework Station Pump - Can They Be Repaired ?

Even I had this prblem. The coil is not working any more.
    The circuit works like a dimmer using traics.
    These diaphragm doesnt go bad its the coil that sops moving in lateral direction n just vibrate.
    U can use dual diaphragm aquarium pumps n seal the pipes with some hot glue.

Comment

Interesting. I ohmed out both coils and they seemed ok, about 146 ohms each.

Comment

Originally posted by xelectech View Post
        Since looking at the newer pics I can't agree with that possibility anymore, having seen those manifolds. Before those pics, it seemed debatable whether the work was being done inside the inner chamber or outside it; I do still think it's possible that the diaphragm is supposed to be secured somehow to the ends of the spindle so its lateral movement is more limited (not to say that that makes it true &^).

I'm wondering now about the noise it made when it failed, did it make a big noise and then quit, or did it start making a noise and then you turned it off because of it?
        It didn't fail in use just noticed it sounding odd last time I turned it on. Made me think to check the wand for air flow before it melted in my hand anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
          It didn't fail in use just noticed it sounding odd last time I turned it on. Made me think to check the wand for air flow before it melted in my hand anyway.
          Okay, had to go reread from the start - do the magnets look beat up at all?

Have you done any checking around on the ckt. bd. to see if anything seems awry there?
          I'm thinking that, from the looks of the top of the board, the bottom probably looks kinda funky too, maybe has some rosin bridges on it which might affect its operation.

Other than that I don't know anything else to do...except look into fbooktablet's suggestion, and maybe a variac to vary the air-flow a little.

Comment

the pcb's in these things are a joke, i resoldered about 80% of mine.
            things like a transformer not even sitting flat on the board!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              the pcb's in these things are a joke, i resoldered about 80% of mine.
              things like a transformer not even sitting flat on the board!
              How similar is yours to mmartell's? Just wondering, from fbooktablet's description of his unit's failure, if some ckt component went south...

Comment

unknown without a pcb foto
                these units get cloned so you cant be sure what's inside from the outside.

i would say they always need a recap even if new!

Comment

unknown without a pcb foto
                  these units get cloned so you cant be sure what's inside from the outside.

i would say they always need a recap even if new!
                  lol, a sign of the times, huh - no schematics came with it either, I suppose...

Comment

you could draw one up in 15-30min's

it's mostly a 555 that i suspect is for the pump, and an opamp related to the heater feedback.
                    i should add that mine does not have a digital display - those probably contain even less.

Comment

you could draw one up in 15-30min's
                      Maybe (probably) you could, my ckt drawing skills/understanding are pretty rusty/outdated,
                      lol!

Comment

I couldn't do it either. I will pull the board and have a closer look and check some of the components.

The magnets look good.

stj there is a photo on the first page of the circuit board. Will take a better one when I remove it.

Comment

that's very different, but shares the same construction quality!

Comment

The piston that has the diagrams on it will not be a magnet. The coil creates a magnetic field pulling the iron core in the center to one end of stroke then the other. If it was a magnet it would not move because of opposing magnetic fields.

Comment

I considered this but I am not fluent in magnetics lol.

If the two pieces in the piston are supposed to be steel (they ARE magnetized atm) by what mechanism does the piston move to the other end of the stroke ?
                              Last edited by mmartell; 04-11-2016, 02:33 AM.

Comment

One coil energizes pulling the diagram to one end,then it shuts off and the other coil energizes pulling it to the other end. Then the coils just alternate off and on.

Comment

no, both ends energize together.

what may be happening is that you have a pair of magnets of oposing polarity's, so it will pull in the direction of the current flow.
                                  that just happens to change direction 50-60 times a second

Comment

Yes the coils are energized at the same time. Seems to me the magnetic field is perpendicular to the path of the piston though. Or is it ?

Comment

Why are there different wires feeding each end of the coil? With the commons wired together?

Comment

The coils are wired in series.

Comment

Ok this image is from a patent filing and so the mystery is solved on how this is SUPPOSED to work. Now to troubleshoot if it's mechanical or electrical.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X