X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have ERSA Product Experience?

I'm looking for a new soldering station, and saw this on Amazon for $99

ERSA RDS 80

Upon further research, it seems that the $99 price tag is truly unique as it sells for around $250 everywhere else. What gets me with this iron, is that the tips are $35 and up!! ... and that gives me pause when thinking about actually buying it. I love the sleek look of it .. it looks much like the Weller WD1xxx series but for less than half the price. It seems to be quite a performer as well.

What I'm looking for is someone who might have experience with this brand and their comments ... maybe even convince me that the $35+ price tag for a soldering tip is absolutely worth it for some reason.

Thank you,

Mike Sims

Re: Anyone have ERSA Product Experience?

i would avoid it, i think it may be about to be discontinued for the I-CON series.

Comment

But the price ... certainly that would be worth owning an "older" model??? If not ... tell me why you think that way, please?

Comment

if they discontinue the unit - how long before they discontinue the spares?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          if they discontinue the unit - how long before they discontinue the spares?
          Spares? Spare units? I'm not following you ... spare parts?

And how long does any soldering station production run for ??? I'm just wondering what my potential head ache could be with this unit (aside from the astronomical cost for tips) over time given that it might end up discontinued soon...???

Comment

spare tips, spare element - if not built into the tip.
            consumables!

Comment

Their web site shows three different series of tips that they make that are compatible with this station and several others that they make ... looks like they try to be somewhat universal in that way ... but I'll admit ignorance when it comes to these things as I've only recently delved into the realm of soldering stations...

Comment

Also, if there are similarly spec'd soldering stations or even the 2 in 1 types that are just as good (the auto cool down / shut off timer is a must for me because I almost never remember to turn the iron off when I'm done) yet less expensive ... then I would most likely opt for the cheaper alternative.

Comment

Just ordered an Ersa i-con 1 from Blundell UK this afternoon..... I found they are considerably cheaper than RS components and Farnell Electronics, Blundell UK are Ersa's agents, they have the i-con 1 on offer.

I was going to get an Atten and discovered the problems they have with temperature control, then I looked at JBC to me it appeared rather bulky and the power switch at the back I thought strange, I also looked at Weller but learned a couple of people had them failed under warranty, Weller is not the same company of old.

I don't know where you are buying from if in the UK I suggest looking at Blundell UK, drop them a email and ask if they ship to the states beware of differing voltages, here in the UK we are 240V.

I too have heard the RDS80 is discontinued..... before deciding a good idea would be to look at the tips that are available for the solder station you are getting.

Dave
                  Last edited by 6BW6; 11-17-2016, 12:08 PM. Reason: added text

Comment

I have an old MicroCon 60IA with a TechTool iron that I picked up a couple of years ago, cheap. The element has recently gone in the iron and it is eye-wateringly expensive (90GBP from RS Components) [admittedly I forgot to get a price from Blundell, despite the station originally being from there!].

So expensive that I bought an Antex setup. The tips for that are 10% the price of ERSA's too! However, the ERSA seems better screwed together and heated up the iron quicker.

Basically keep in mind what stj said re: consumables!
                    Last edited by VujeDe; 11-17-2016, 12:30 PM.

Comment

This is the station I bought yesterday...again down to stj. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EU-P...608.0.0.lnZkqL
                      It looks like cr@p compared to the units above but much cheaper and I should be able to connect a genuine 2032 handle to it.

Comment

the handle is actually said to be very good compared to the old hakko designed 2piece one.

i was about to say that you paid to much till i saw it comes with 5 tips! - good deal.

Comment

i will wait untill diff receives his one then let him review it if its any good i will order one too im still using my 8 year old maplin digital soldering station.

Comment

the handle is actually said to be very good compared to the old hakko designed 2piece one.

i was about to say that you paid to much till i saw it comes with 5 tips! - good deal.
                            Cheers, I found it about a tenner cheaper without tips but I mainly use a chisel at present so seemed like the perfect buy. I bought a J02 tip also. £3.49 with delivery included.
                            The 2032 i'll look to get in the new year from the US.

I'm using a Tenma at present, it's ok but loses it's heat quickly depending on what i'm working on.
                            Last edited by diif; 11-17-2016, 03:13 PM.

Comment

tips
                              http://www.banggood.com/T12-Series-S...-p-932701.html

Comment

I see your set of 10 and raise you 20
                                http://www.aliexpress.com/item/20pcs...498794612.html

and for the extra flashy
                                http://www.aliexpress.com/item/25-Pi...285967455.html

Comment

nice.
                                  that's what i like about the T12 stuff, on my present iron i hve a choice of about 5 tips!!

Comment

nice.
                                    that's what i like about the T12 stuff, on my present iron i hve a choice of about 5 tips!!
                                    It's mainly your advice that encouraged me to get this iron and whilst it might not be genuine Hakko it's go to be better than what I have and the tips are cheap and plentiful.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
                                      I'm looking for a new soldering station, and saw this on Amazon for $99

ERSA RDS 80

Upon further research, it seems that the $99 price tag is truly unique as it sells for around $250 everywhere else. What gets me with this iron, is that the tips are $35 and up!! ... and that gives me pause when thinking about actually buying it. I love the sleek look of it .. it looks much like the Weller WD1xxx series but for less than half the price. It seems to be quite a performer as well.

What I'm looking for is someone who might have experience with this brand and their comments ... maybe even convince me that the $35+ price tag for a soldering tip is absolutely worth it for some reason.

Thank you,

Mike Sims
                                      It depends on what type of work you will be doing?

Comment

If money is no object get one of these, as there made in the states you should be able to get a better price over there.

I have ERSA irons as well but I prefer the balance of the pace to the ERSA.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by michael dranfield; 11-18-2016, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X