infrared rework station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

infrared rework station

I would like an opinion on these two machines, the quick 7610 has the top heater to be replaced (300 eur). The main use is the welding of the new processors on laptop cards-

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Bga-rework-s...YAAOSwmCVY-M5A

or

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Jovy-Systems...QAAOSw~QRaCcBW

I currently use an ir6500, other recommendations on other brands are welcome, I can spend up to 1500 eur

Re: infrared rework station

To be honest, after I've played around a bit with a bunch of various IR reflow machines, I can't say I recommend any of them over a home-brew / home-made machine. If you have a bit of electronics knowledge, you can easily and cheaply make your own machine for a fraction of the cost.

Also, I recommend going with a hot air setup. IR tends to heat unevenly, even with good high-quality heaters (due to different absorption rates of different components - this depends on the component's surface finish and its color).

For the bottom heater, the easiest setup I've made was with a gas stove burner - nice even heating and plenty of heat available on hand. No scorching on the boards at all, unlike IR. Same if you go with electric hot air.

To simplify things, just buy the PID controllers and SSRs/Relays.
    Last edited by momaka; 01-05-2018, 08:38 AM.

Comment

hi momaka

Please can you share knowledge and pictures for the home made machine?

Comment

Hi, It's many years that 'I use my homemade rework station ( I have posted the schematic in an old thread on this forum ) without any problem. (I use it in a repair shop 3 4 times in a day)

With my rework station (I have spend 250 eur to buy top and bottom heater elstein , two altec pid and two omega thermocouple) and I have no temp error .

But my idea was to hack a commercial machine because tbe structure is a good start point .
        Last edited by jasko_jacker; 01-05-2018, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nguroje View Post
          hi momaka

Please can you share knowledge and pictures for the home made machine?
          I never made one. Was going to, but then ended up using my gas stovetop and my hot air station. That alone allows me to do pretty much any BGA work I want.

Originally posted by jasko_jacker View Post
          Hi, It's many years that 'I use my homemade rework station ( I have posted the schematic in an old thread on this forum ) without any problem. (I use it in a repair shop 3 4 times in a day)

With my rework station (I have spend 250 eur to buy top and bottom heater elstein , two altec pid and two omega thermocouple) and I have no temp error .

But my idea was to hack a commercial machine because tbe structure is a good start point .
          Ah, I see. So you're looking for a commercial machine to use as a "base" for your own machine. In that case, I don't know what to suggest. Again, I prefer hot air over IR, so I can't really recommend anything.

Comment

it is not easy to weld the new cpu only with hot air stations, following the manufacturer's specifications.
            One of the main problems is oxidation caused by oxygen in the air.
            To solve this and other problems I would like to build a rework machine:
            top heater -> nitrogen instead of air
            bottom heater (1) -> hot air, located under the chip
            bottom heater (2) -> infrared quarz heater wavelengths of 1.5-8 μm or ir ceramic heater wavelength range is 2-10 μm.

The quick 7610 has the automatic top heater and the space to make all the changes. The jovy is only for small chip, on youtube, many people show how improve the bottom heater power

Comment

That's going to use a lot of nitrogen. I use nitrogen for AC repairs, and there's not much in the tank (40 cubic feet IIRC), nitrogen isn't like CO2 that will liquefy in the tank.

Comment

hi the quick bga rework in the link say bad top heater... and who knows if eletric pcb is fine.... plus not a well known bga machine for warranty and repair in italy.

for the nitrogen hot air..... if u use proper profile, flux and so on there is no need of that since bga can support hight temp up to 3 times....

i would suggest you a good hot air or infrared bga rework already made , so u need to focus on good profiles.

not only a machine make the good work, but practice and practice is the best thing to get good results.

rework need some time for heating. lowering that time will make temperature needs much bigger with possible bga damage.

ps: the other jovy is too small for a good rework. the r7500 is low power.
                Last edited by dellxps15; 01-15-2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

With my rework machine after a lot of time I'm reached a good profile and usually the problems regards the difficult to buy a very good bga chip , on ebay 90% are remarked, overheated, etc.
                  This is my usual profie for common chip (not for cpu) .
                  I modify the machine for this software with good results, the top and bottom heater work together .
                  With the first prototype the top heater start only after the bottom heater has reached a certain temperature, usually the activated flux temp
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by jasko_jacker; 01-18-2018, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X