Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Baku 702B] Soldering iron not heating up and the temperature doesn't go up

Hi!

I'm owner of a Baku 702B. I do some SMD work with it, and since I have a spare soldering iron that works very well for the little soldering that I do, I hardly use the soldering iron that this station comes with.

(To add some info, this station went to RMA some months ago, the hot air gun resistance was changed to a new one.)

So, some days I needed to use the soldering iron that comes with the station, but for my surprise, the temperature would not rise. The temperature screen would always show 22/23ºc and no matter what, if I rised or decreased the temperature, it would not change anything.

Since I really don't enough to troubleshoot the station, I tried to use the very little that I know first before coming here.

Things that I've done:

- Measured continuity from the soldering iron tip socket on the machine from each pin on the socket till the end of the cable where it would connect to the PCB - All OK.

- Measured continuity from the soldering iron itself from the male socket it has in the iron it self, where I saw that 2 "lines" were mixed. The lines that we're mixed where the black and red.

- Tested the potentiometer that rises/decreases the temp, and it's working fine.

Here are some more pictures of the station itself if it helps.

Could it just be a bad cable on the soldering iron?

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by datsnow; 06-26-2018, 09:31 AM.

Re: [Baku 702B] Soldering iron not heating up and the temperature doesn't go up

I believe these are the same as the hakko 93x, I measured mine
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      I believe these are the same as the hakko 93x, I measured mine
      Thanks for the reply!

On the place you got 3ohm, I got 13.4ohm on both of them.
      On the palce you got 55ohm, I got flutuations between 1.3 and 0.2 depending on the cables (both lines are conected to red and black wire)

Comment

there could be a short in the cable, those two leads are the sensor. Do you have another soldering iron?
        Last edited by R_J; 06-26-2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Those two leads are supposed to be connected to each other?

If you're talking about a spare soldering iron to work it, yes, a replacement to this one for the station, no.

Comment

Those two lines go to the sensor, I suspect the wires are shorted, so unsolder either red or black wire at the solder iron end if you still have a short, check the plug end, it could be shorted in the plug

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              Those two lines go to the sensor, I suspect the wires are shorted, so unsolder either red or black wire at the solder iron end if you still have a short, check the plug end, it could be shorted in the plug
              Well, I unsoldered the black cable and it's still not heating, but now the temperature keeps around 97/96ºc.
              Does this symptoms indicate the real problem?

Comment

I did'nt say to unsolder the wire and try the iron, Of course it won't work with the wire unsoldered. I said unsolder the wire and check THE CABLE if it is still shorted. If the cable is shorted either find the short and fix it or replace the cable.
                THE CABLE is likely shorted where the strain relief is clamped or at the plug end.
                Last edited by R_J; 06-29-2018, 08:52 AM.

Comment

the sensor probably should look shorted - it's usually a thermocouple.
                  set your meter to read mV and probe the sensor, then heat it up while the meter is connected - i bet you see a rising voltage.

Comment

Working...
                  X