Aneng 8008 fail :))

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aneng 8008 fail :))

Good day folks. This should definitely be in the Off-topic category because it's just so stupid

Today I was messing around with a PIR sensor for a large outdoor LED floodlight which doesn't work. As always, I was using my Aneng 8008, since this shop gave me bupkis to work with...damn cheapskates....AAAANYWAY....and I first wanted to make sure there's line voltage actually coming into the damn thing. There's a capacitive dropper PSU commonly found in small low power electronics like these. Put my probes on the lives wires, numbers jumped around a couple of times but that was it - no power at all. Ok, simple job, probably a bad mains cable I thought. Unplugged the thing, set the good ol' Aneng to ohms and probed between each prong of the AC plug and its respective wire on the board....0 ohms...WTH ?!

Plug it back in and probed again thinking perhaps the socket is a little loose and didn't make contact. Again: no matter how much I jimmy-jammed those probes on those wires, I got nowhere close to a correct reading. Wiggled the plug a couple of times, stil nothing !

Unplugged it again and this time poked my probes right into the 230v socket holes...gave them a good jiggle, numbers jumped around but same story...did my meter just die on me ?! Grabbed a battery I had on my desk, probed it: nope - 9v right there...what gives ? Imagine this thing puzzling me for 5-10 minutes to the point where I hopped on Ali ready to order a new meter...until I noticed the little blue select/light button to the left of the dial and gave it a push. The display switched to AC RMS and that's when it occurred to me......Danny you're a genuine dumbass !

The strange thing is that I could SWEAR I measured AC before and the meter switched to AC automatically, so I was expecting it to do it again here, but apparently my memory is a bit fuzzy...too much solder smoke >_> I never had to use that button very often, given that I mostly work with DC sh!t, but this one time I needed it, I forgot it was there...getting old
    Wattevah...

Re: Aneng 8008 fail )

lol
    you can "upgrade" those like the uni-t 210e by messing with the eeprom.

Comment

Yes, but I doubt you can make them switch automatically. Still I can't shake the feeling that I didn't need to toggle between Dc and Ac...a while ago, we were messing with an UPS and when I mesured its output I remember my colleague telling me "switch over to AC", to which I replied "no need to - does it automatically"...am I losing my mind ? Anyone out there with an Aneng who can confirm ?
      Wattevah...

Comment

i have 2, they dont auto-switch

Comment

Then how come it measured the output of the UPS correctly I wonder ? Either that or I don't remember correctly and our discussion was about the RANGE which is indeed automatic, not the type of current AC/DC...most likely scenario here....
          Wattevah...

Comment

probably because the ups was squarewave, so dc switching polarity as oposed to a sinewave.

Comment

I was just thinking of that, but I though NAAAH, can't be...
              Wattevah...

Comment

well if the invertor in switching at 50Hz then it's well in range - i think the meter can operate upto atleast 10MHz

Comment

Switching automatically between AC/DC does not make any sense, imo!
                  Most likely you've measure the PSU without any load and therefore got the reading (testing without any load is useless and misleading, btw).

Comment

Working...
                  X