Best "dip" product?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best "dip" product?

Ideally, something sold in small cans... (or, something with a very long shelf life!)

Re: Best "dip" product?

??

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      ??
      For example: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Plasti-Dip-...oating/3760707

Comment

Are you going to use this type product with electrical hand tools do not know what kind of electrical installation quality this product has but I have thought of this before using this product for this purpose myself

But the question I have posed is the reason I have not used it for that purpose

But I will keep looking at this post for information and ideas on this subject
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

ah right, a thick conformal coating!

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
            Are you going to use this type product with electrical hand tools do not know what kind of electrical installation quality this product has but I have thought of this before using this product for this purpose myself

But the question I have posed is the reason I have not used it for that purpose

But I will keep looking at this post for information and ideas on this subject
            I don't rely on those cheap/thin rubber/plastic "handles" for electrical insulation for contacting live circuits at potentials that can possibly kill. I use tools intended for that purpose in those situations.

[Though I have many licensed electrician colleagues who are comfortable with Plasti-dip. <shudder> I'd be forever worrying about a crack developing in the coating and flesh pressing through it to contact the underlying metal tool]

"Dip" is used simply to provide a more friendly grip on the tool (most machined/cast metal tools have very crude handles -- peel off the coatings on yours to see just how crude/uncomfortable). Trying to find replacement handles is a fools errand... (you can try slipping rubber hose of an appropriate I.D. over the handles but this gets really clumsy looking/feeling).

You can buy rubberized coatings that are designed for their electrical insulation properties (e.g., "Liquid Tape" is good for 1400V/mil). But, they aren't intended in applications that will see "mechanical abuse" (like the handles of a tool!)
            Last edited by Curious.George; 01-01-2020, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Last edited by R_J; 01-01-2020, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X