Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: Precise temperature controlled solering station

Hi,

I'm a watchmaker/clockmaker who's looking to buy a soldering station that will allow me to blue my steel parts.
    The idea is that I polish my part and clean it then use the soldering station set to 274°C to give a perfect blue.

I've been looking at loads of different models, Weller, ETC. But haven't found something I'm sure on, as everyone has their own marketing etc.

I need something that I can take the tip out of a soldering iron, put in a brass plate that will heat up, I then put my part on the plate and it will turn blue because of the temperature.

I need the iron to stay at that temperature as the difference between a dark blue and a light blue is about 5°C. So it can make a huge difference if the temperature is fluctuating.

I'm looking for people to advise me on something to buy and also what all the jargon means. So when it says +- 10°C does it mean under load? Or that if I set it to 274°C I could be above or below?
    Also does it hold the variance? So if I had a test piece of steel and dialed in the perfect temperature for a perfect blue then would it differ every time I turned on the iron, so would have to dial in the temperature every time.

This might be a bit confusing to people but I know it has been done before.

I'm based in the UK so if there are suggestions please keep it UK, thanks.

Please ask questions and I will clarify/answer anything.

Alex

Re: Help: Precise temperature controlled solering station

soldering irons wont work, the temperature feedback is in the tip - you need a hotplate - often used for pcb reflow.

Comment

Re: Help: Precise temperature controlled solering station

Hi Alex, I assume you will making the brass plate?

What maximum and minimum size (and thickness) of steel piece are we looking at here? How long should it stay at the temperature you need?
      Last edited by Spider1211; 02-11-2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X