Chuwi Lapbook SE not starting (x2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuwi Lapbook SE not starting (x2)

Uhhh... Quite a story with these Chuwi laptops.
    Bought 2 Chuwi Lapbook SE laptops. Great laptop... Until it stops working all of a sudden.

First one worked a week until it just shut off and never came back alive again. Locals said it was the CPU, but could not explain how they tested. One of these did not even disassemble the laptop. Just connected a charger (their own charger) and came back telling that it was the CPU. He might have also connected something to the HDMI port, but I saw only from far away, so not sure. After all of the local workshops had to send the motherboard to the Chuwi factory for repair. Already a full month there and no results. Even no replies... Ridiculous service.

Anyways the issue now is that the second laptop has now done the same trick. This time worked about 4 months. Wow...

Completely dead. Only power connector LED lights up and I can hear ticking sound from somewhere off the motherboard. Ticking sound only when power supply is connected.

Then suddenly turned on after disconnecting the battery multiple times and trying to boot different ways. Turned on and worked for 5 more days perfectly (though only with charger connected, battery percentage always showing 0%). All of this time distinctive coil whine while working.

After the 5 days, in the morning just not turning anymore and this time I think for good. Nothing helps.

Decided to check the batteries from both of the laptops. 2 batteries tied together to create a higher voltage battery pack.
    Designated voltage: 7.6V
    Max power: 8.7V

Teared off the tape a bit to get to the battery pack control board and the contact points. EXPECTED to measure 3.8V off each battery cell (Thus 3.8+3.8=7.6V), but multimeter only showing 2.8V off each cell.

Measuring off the contact points from the battery pack to the motherboard, not really getting any values... From any of the black wires to any of the red wires - 0V.
    Only value I can get is when the charger is connected, I am getting 3V from the yellow wire to the red.

Also one chip (power regulator I think?) gets hot very quickly as soon as the charger is connected.

Any ideas where to look? Battery packs dead?

Power regulator gone bad? Hard to distinguish, but might be the source of the ticking sound

Really the intel CPU as they said? I always like to monitor temperatures in my laptop and CPU never gone over 75°C. Normal usage ~60°C. Would be weird to have 2 INTEL cpus dead so quickly
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Iersuo; 12-20-2019, 09:57 AM.

Re: Chuwi Lapbook SE not starting (x2)

That's a dead battery or at least deeply discharged. Be careful with LiPo batteries as they can be very dangerous, better not mess with those.
    Which chip getting hot are you talking about?
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Would definitely be good if the only problem is the battery. I can order a replacement, but it is quarter the price of the whole laptop, so want to know 100% if that is the issue, or is it something in the charging circuit.
      Is it so that these ultrabooks do not turn on without a battery? Used to those older types, that you can run with the charger plugged in. These cannot do it?

This is the hot chip in the attachment picture.
      Markings:
      iTE
      IT8987E
      1833-BXS
      S162VB
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Iersuo; 12-20-2019, 10:53 AM.

Comment

For the first laptop they probably tested the usb data lines to ground,a full short would mean a dead pch if they`re directly connected .
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

IT8987E is the EC (Embedded Controller). Usually EC getting hot = dead EC.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Found a few coils with 0V power. Any ideas how to troubleshoot further? Clearly something with the power delivery?
            Attached Files

Comment

Those coils with 0 volts are most likely vcore coils for cpu. I think you should forst replace the EC and then proceed further. Remember, this ec is programmable.

Comment

Edit: dead link removed
                Last edited by SMDFlea; 03-01-2023, 04:46 AM.
                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

hi!
                  Can we get a new link for these files? that one in previous comment is dead!!!

Comment

Hello, my chuwi lapbook pro got a brick, I think, after bios renewal, now on starting the device, there is a blinking of the power light and nothing more, can anybody help me? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Andre Kinetic Dimension View Post
                      hi!
                      Can we get a new link for these files? that one in previous comment is dead!!!
                      Originally posted by Aleix View Post
                      Hello, my chuwi lapbook pro got a brick, I think, after bios renewal, now on starting the device, there is a blinking of the power light and nothing more, can anybody help me? Thanks in advance!
                      Post your bios backup in the "Bios requests ONLY!" section and someone will help https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Comment

Working...
                      X