• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba Satellite P55-A5104SL - corrupted BIOS

Hello all

Model - Satellite P55-A5104SL
    Mainboard - VGSG MB Ver:2.1
    All flashing done w/CH341 adapter & EEPROM chips off board.

PROBLEM:

After updating from BIOS 1.70 to 1.90, it shows Toshiba logo and halts. I narrowed it down to a possibly corrupted BIOS. How do I know? There is no similar machine in the forums, so I tried a dump for another model with same mainboard (L50-A-19N) provided by @ala_borbe in this thread. Flashed this on both BIOS & ME_FW chips and the laptop came to life again! BUT, with these symptoms:

- Dedicated GT740M GPU no longer works (error code 12 in Dev.Manager)
    - Keyboard no longer works in BIOS, external USB keyboard does
    - Dev.Manager shows "something USB" getting plugged-unplugged forever

It's clear the L50 files are different enough to the P55 to make them incompatible, even being the same board. I flashed both previously back-upped dumps, and it reverted back to non-booting state. Flashed L50 ones again, boots 'fine' again. So I was positive the original BIOS and/or ME_FW were bad and I just needed the correct ones.

WHAT I DID:

All BIOS packages from Toshiba for this P55 contain a 4.198.400 bytes file - 4Kb bigger than chip's capacity. I went with latest 1.90 one. Fiddling around I noted the 1st 4Kb is just a header, so I removed that with HxD Editor and sure enough, the new file looks 'good': 1st KB or so identical to @ala_borbe dump, and it's exactly 4.194.304 bytes.

Flashed this BIOS, and the same happens: only logo & no boot.
    Did the same procedure to 1.60 & 1.70 original BIOS, same result.
    Tried both L50 & backup ME_FW dumps with 1.60/1.70/1.90 P55 BIOS, no change.
    Flashed back the L50 BIOS+ME_FW, as expected it boots 'fine' (non-working GT740M etc).

At this point I was scratching my head badly... what to do now ... Then I tried flashing the P55 backup ME_FW mantaining the L50 BIOS, to see if the original dump was bad. It still boots! The original ME_FW dump is good then, it has nothing to do with the problem. The d*mn board simply does not like its own model BIOS. What gives??

I cannot see any reason why is this happening, but that's where I am now. Also I find suspicious how many people had similar problems with these family of VGSG boards... almost like there's a bug somewhere in the update process...

WHAT I NEED:

A matching, working set of BIOS+ME_FW dump for this model the L50 ones get the laptop to Windows, but they're not 100% compatible. ANY version is fine.

Thank you.
    Last edited by sndestroy; 05-09-2021, 12:22 AM.

Re: Toshiba Satellite P55-A5104SL - corrupted BIOS

post the backup of the bios, just as corrupt.
    Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

>>>>> https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=donate1 <<<<<

Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.

Comment

Here you go.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sndestroy View Post
        Here you go.
        try..
        bios extracted from the site update ..
        DMI 4A6B0-4A7CF
        Attached Files
        Due to a lack of donations, server free space at a critical level, and possible closure of Bios Requests all donations are welcome, click:

>>>>> https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=donate1 <<<<<

Every donation made will go towards server fees and maintenance costs.

Comment

Originally posted by peste View Post
          try..
          bios extracted from the site update ..
          DMI 4A6B0-4A7CF
          Thank you.

With this dump, Power on -> fan spins, internal display dead (no BL no image), external HDMI goes from "no signal" to a black screen. Does not boot.

Reset button doesn't help. RAM is confirmed good, same with CMOS battery.

Comment

Working...
          X