Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't understand the minds of some recappers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand the minds of some recappers....

So I'm nowhere near as active here anymore as I used to be over a decade ago but that's mainly because I've been lost in a sea of subcontracting and NDA repair jobs. This one however really takes it.

My current workload is recapping a single model power supply. Nothing special, just a non-ATX form factor 150w thing with an extra 24v rail and no PWR-ON and PWR-OK pins. They are all about 20 years and sure enough, many still have their original OST blown out or out of spec but beyond a few common issues like an underrated resistor that BBQ's itself and a transistor that likes to roast they seem pretty solid.
    Other units however have been previously reworked by some other subcontractor at another company in another country between 2011 and 2017 according to their previous rework stamps. Their workmanship is great and they have addressed much of the above mentioned resistor issues but....they recapped hundreds of these power supplies with Teapos....

I'm ordering new Panasonics, Rubycons and Nichicons by the thousands and at those bulk levels the price per cap is something like fifteen cents each on average. What kind of amazing crack was the last place smoking to think it was okay in the 2010's to replace one known awful brand of cap with ANOTHER awful brand?? Was Teapo that much cheaper??
    Attached Files
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: I don't understand the minds of some recappers....

Originally posted by pentium View Post
    Other units however have been previously reworked by some other subcontractor at another company in another country between 2011 and 2017 according to their previous rework stamps. Their workmanship is great and they have addressed much of the above mentioned resistor issues but....they recapped hundreds of these power supplies with Teapos....
    I'd question why they were serviced in the first place!

If its a piece of COMMODITY kit, chances are, its close to obsolete before it shits the bed. Why incur the labor costs (assuming ANY quality parts are free) to put it back into service for 1, 2, 5 years -- so it can be that much MORE obsolete?

If it's a "collectible" or a NONREPLACEABLE piece of some larger system, then I'll spend the time to troubleshoot and repair. E.g., I've had to refurbish some big iron because it hosts some enterprise sstems that would cost millions of dollars to reinvent on more modern, ubiquitous hardware.

But, if I can replace the entire device, that's by far the cheaper option!

Comment

So I'm nowhere near as active here anymore as I used to be over a decade ago but that's mainly because I've been lost in a sea of subcontracting and NDA repair jobs. This one however really takes it.

My current workload is recapping a single model power supply. Nothing special, just a non-ATX form factor 150w thing with an extra 24v rail and no PWR-ON and PWR-OK pins. They are all about 20 years and sure enough, many still have their original OST blown out or out of spec but beyond a few common issues like an underrated resistor that BBQ's itself and a transistor that likes to roast they seem pretty solid.

I'm ordering new Panasonics, Rubycons and Nichicons by the thousands and at those bulk levels the price per cap is something like fifteen cents each on average. What kind of amazing crack was the last place smoking to think it was okay in the 2010's to replace one known awful brand of cap with ANOTHER awful brand?? Was Teapo that much cheaper??
      I bought a brand new 2019 silverstone 450 SFX power supply last year it came with Teapo SC on the secondary, I wasn't thrilled about it, however Ive seen Teapo SC last along time in PSU and I have seen plenty of the SC failing also, its just luck of the draw with Teapo. But anything mission critical or for a friend for sure I would only use panasonic, ruby, nichicon, NCC etc.
      My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

What kind of amazing crack was the last place smoking to think it was okay in the 2010's to replace one known awful brand of cap with ANOTHER awful brand?? Was Teapo that much cheaper??
        Maybe they where hoping for an easy follow-up job a couple years down the line?
        And now you went and ruined it for them
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I am the ruiner of all dreams.
          Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

some recappers are just plain nubs.. nuff said... case in point: on junkbay, ive seen plenty of stuff thats been recapped with more of the same junk caps. they say they did that to keep it period-specific and for consistency's sake to look consistent with the other caps on board! yeah right! pushing junk with more junk!

while others are complete utter nubs they recap with caps the wrong size from the original and dont exactly fit. one example on junkbay: Club3D ATI 9100. the original silkscreen on the pcb is for 10mm diameter caps but the nub recapper put 8mm diameter caps on it and teapos to boot... on the reverse, u can clearly see there arent dual through-holes on the pcb for fitting 8mm and 10mm diameter caps. only 10mm diameter caps. the recapping job was terrible also, leaving burn and scorch marks on the back of the card.

those nub recappers ruin the name of all good recappers and give recappers a bad name!

Comment

Working...
            X