Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony XBR-55A8G 4K OLED image ghosting/jumping around

Hello All,

Hoping one of you wizards might be able to help me, I'm new to TV repair, I'm trying to troubleshoot a ghosting/jumping image on a 4k 55in Sony XBR-55A8G OLED TV.

I have tried re-seating all cables, and lightly manipulating the cables while the TV is on to see if the picture changes with pressure on any of the cables/connectors. I also replaced the TCON board and the ribbon cables connecting the TCON board to the panel, the issue has not changed with the replacements or with any cable manipulation / re-seating.

I saw some people had success on LCD TVs with a similar issue by taping off portions of the ribbon cable pins responsible for the clock signal coming from the TCON board, but in those videos their boards only have two cable outputs, mine has four and I have been unable to identify which pins are for the clock signals. I am not sure if OLED is similar to that.

I have tried searching everywhere I could for a service manual for this tv or a datasheet for the TCON board but cannot find anything. I also have not been able to find any related issues online for this model TV. I am new to this, does anyone have any suggestions on things to try? Or things I should read up on? Or maybe just some general suggestions would be great. Thank you all!

Close up pictures of components and video showing the display issue I am experiencing here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2d?usp=sharing

TV Model Number: Sony XBR-55A8G

TCON Board Model Number: LG LE650AQP-AMA2-Y31

Mainboard Model Number: Sony A2229178A / 1-983-249-52

Re: Sony XBR-55A8G 4K OLED image ghosting/jumping around

Taping cables will result in a shut down / error. This t-con is not similar like the ones from lcd/led tv's.
    The problem looks like a gate error but i'm not 100% sure because i've never seen this failure in an oled tv.

Comment

it sound you have BGA issue at MB. FRC IC react of losing signal from main IC.
      FRC IC = the one close to LVDS.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
        it sound you have BGA issue at MB. FRC IC react of losing signal from main IC.
        FRC IC = the one close to LVDS.
        Do you think replacing the mainboard would fix this issue? Or mainboard and cables?

Comment

Repair the MB by reflew it by heating. show us the photo please over here use GO advanced and post the MB photos clear and focused from the TOP and down side.

Comment

I uploaded pics of the front of the mainboard, any suggestions on getting these ribbon cables out? These are the only two I could not get, I don't want to break them.

I will upload pics of the back once I get these out, thank you for the help so far.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by William1967 View Post
              Taping cables will result in a shut down / error. This t-con is not similar like the ones from lcd/led tv's.
              The problem looks like a gate error but i'm not 100% sure because i've never seen this failure in an oled tv.
              Thank you for the information William. That helps me from going on a wild goose chase.

Comment

1- Press
                2- Pull
                Attached Files

Comment

1- Press
                  2- Pull
                  Hello, the side of these is hard molded plastic, there is nothing to press in.

Comment

this is yours problem... bad connection... i wrote at post #3

Comment

Hello again, I have replaced the motherboard with a new motherboard and the issue still persists exactly the same, any other suggestions of things to try?

Comment

might need to update/pair the firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                          might need to update/pair the firmware.
                          Yes I upgraded firmware to latest from Sony website already as well.

Comment

You might have a faulty panel, but you might still be able to fix it by blocking the correct clock lines.
                            Check out this video from frugal TV repair on how to do this.

https://youtu.be/pfrRhw7-ZII

Comment

here OLED Panel not LCD.
                              as i thought in my post#3 as BGA and he did changed MB... so the issue remain BGA or bad connection at LVDS /T-CON / Ribbon / you need to put yours DMM and measure the 12V rail and 22V rail which coming from PCB to T-CON if they are stable or jumping as the picture change.

Comment

here OLED Panel not LCD.
                                as i thought in my post#3 as BGA and he did changed MB... so the issue remain BGA or bad connection at LVDS /T-CON / Ribbon / you need to put yours DMM and measure the 12V rail and 22V rail which coming from PCB to T-CON if they are stable or jumping as the picture change.
                                Thank you Diah, I will check those with multimeter and respond to the thread with results.

I have also ordered replacement FLEXIBLE FLAT CABLES 41P/51P for connection from mainboard to TCON but they will not arrive for a couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post
                                  Hello, the side of these is hard molded plastic, there is nothing to press in.
                                  You need to press on these latches, one of you is broken on one side.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lotas View Post
                                    You need to press on these latches, one of you is broken on one side.
                                    Thanks Lotas, I figured that out, the connectors are still secure and function, just the little tab thing broke at the top.

Comment

Thank you Diah, I will check those with multimeter and respond to the thread with results.

I have also ordered replacement FLEXIBLE FLAT CABLES 41P/51P for connection from mainboard to TCON but they will not arrive for a couple weeks.
                                      Hi Diah,

Are you referencing testing these input voltages from PSU rails to TCON? (See image)
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Diah,

Are you referencing testing these input voltages from PSU rails to TCON? (See image)
                                        yes

Comment

Working...
                                        X