820-00840-A CD3215 short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 820-00840-A CD3215 short

Very good. The I2C (smbus) readings are good as well.

Comment

So where should I look for trouble with PPBUS_G3H? It's at 0.2V. I'm checking around C7035 and Q7030 I see the 5v there and then on C7028 also. C7051 and C7050 I'm only getting 0.2V.

If there isn't a short that means the creation of PPBUS_G3H isn't working. All the videos I'm watching always have a short that they solve lol, how do I troubleshoot not having a short?

0.02V on either side of L7030
      Last edited by powerblackout; 01-24-2022, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Post SMC_RESET and BUF_SMC_RESET_L.

Comment

SMC_RESET_L is 3.41V
          BUF_SMC_RESET_L is also 3.41V

also, SMC_BC_ACOK is 0v
          Last edited by powerblackout; 01-24-2022, 10:06 PM.

Comment

You mentioned earlier that you were not getting 1.1V LDO.

There are 2 CD3215s. What about the other LDO?
            One of these CD3215s is used as slave and the other as master. It is normal to have no voltage on one of them, but not on both.
            PP1V1_UPC_XA_LDO_BMC
            PP1V1_UPC_XB_LDO_BMC

Also, if one CD3215 doesn't work it causes the other to power cycle after starting USB-PD negotiation. Can you confirm?

Comment

Neither of them power cycle, neither have 1.1V LDO. They both have all other LDOs. both 1.1V LDO have 34k resistance and 0.4 diode.

I can't find anything besides a repair wiki article saying if only 1.1V is missing it could be ROM related. The MISO line is 3.3V while the MOSI line is 1.2V. Not sure if that hurts communication. I do see a bit of traffic when i apply power to those lines on the scope. https://repair.wiki/w/Charger_stuck_...nstead_of_20_V

Also, PM_SYSRST_L is 0V, could the SMC be bad?
              Last edited by powerblackout; 01-24-2022, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Not sure if any of these matter
                PCH_SRTCRST_L is 0.42V
                TBA_VDDA and TBA_VDDA are both 0V with several thousand k resistance to ground. Bad ISL chip?

Also, this scares me https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...80&postcount=5

My replacement CD3215 also has a different sheen to it, the font is different, have to hold it at an angle to see the text. There are scratches on the bottom of the replacement CD3215 and they were definitely reballed, so used would make me think they are OK, but..
                Last edited by powerblackout; 01-25-2022, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Post the voltages of the attached locations.

the SMC_BC_ACOK is not OK.
                  Attached Files

Comment

SMC_BC_ACOK is 0V at R5187. On the other side of the resistor PP3V3_G3H is 3.4V. I tested the resistor, 100K as the schematic says. U7000 creates this correct?
                    Last edited by powerblackout; 01-25-2022, 10:00 AM.

Comment

U7000 creates this correct?
                      Yes. Probe the other side of R7071 and post the voltage. If still 0V, then U7000 believes the AC adapter is NOT OK. This could be due to bad soldering, defective U7000 or that U7000 is unable to gauge if the mated adapter is OK.

AUX_DET will be the pin used by U7000 to determine if the adapter is connected or not.
                      Attached Files

Comment

TBA_AUX_DET is 1.29V
                        R7071 is 0.0V on both sides.

Bad soldering on the U7000, or bad soldering where the USB-C connector is?

Comment

The TBA_AUX_DET is a good voltage and confirms that the input from your external power supply is @ 5V0.

However, the CD3215 devices need to be working - each one of them to select the 20V before I believe U7000 will output a logic high (~3v3) for the SMC_AUX_OK signal line.

While U7000 is not documented, it is most likely an open drain signal.

Presently, U7000 is likely pulling this line down to a low to denote the adapter is not good enough due to the 5v voltage.

Confirm that SMC_AUX_OK is not soldered low as follows:

Remove all power. Meter in resistance mode (2k scale). Check the resistance to ground of R7071 (either side of the resistor is ok).

What is the reading ? If the resistance is very low then it is a solder fault underneath the U7000 device.

If the resistance is OL (over load) or just a high resistance, then soldering is OK and U7000 does not like the AUX_DET value so it is keeping this line to a logic low value.

When the input does get boosted to 20V, the TBA_AUX_DET will respectively bump to 5v0 and then ACOK should be logic high as well.
                          Attached Files

Comment

R7071 is 143kohm resistance both sides.

So you think my CD3215 is affecting U7000? Get the 20V working before I continue troubleshooting U7000?

I should still have PPBUS_G3H even without 20V though.. Currently still randomly at 0.2V or 0.1V but not short detected :|
                            Last edited by powerblackout; 01-25-2022, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Get the 20V working before I continue troubleshooting U7000?
                              Yes. Unless someone can correct us on this conclusion, no point in dealing with U7000 as we do not know with confidence that it is defective. Have been down this road before and replaced U7000 twice but only to find that the i2c (SMBUS) lines were not working due to a defective ESD TVS diode.

From my understanding, CD3215 devices need to be working + the firmware mated with the devices have to be valid. From our past Type C power delivery designs, the CD3215 uses this firmware to determine the power contracts (voltage & current) to select from the external adapter. If the firmware is corrupt, then the CD3215 cannot communicate with the external power adapter.

What would be gold here is to insert a USB Type C power delivery bus analyzer in the middle (between the laptop & the power adapter).

Then you can see the packets of data flying by and know with 100% confidence that the firmware is working inside the CD3215. We have these tools here but believe they are still pricey on the market. One was about $1k usd (LeCroy). ST & Cypress offered a lower cost tool - can search for it if it is of interest.

Moving forward, from my readings, you can hot air off the SPI flash device used by the CD3215 and reflash it using a special SMD socket (zero force) or solder onto a bridge board. However, then we need the DUMP from this logic board from a known good donor board.

Anyone have dumps for the CD3215 devices ?

Aliexpress is selling a tool with 20+ dumps = may be worth it for the dumps alone.

Alternatively, you will need the Apple configurator 2 tool & another macbook with a thunderbolt connection - I believe to rebuild the same. I think these details are correct. Feel free to post any faults in the understanding.

Comment

Focus on each USB C connector(s).

For the power delivery to work, the CC1 & CC2 lines must be working.

Respectively, each CCx line features ESD diodes. If the ESD diodes are damaged, they could be pulling down the CCx line and causing this malfunction of not reaching the 20V desired voltage.

Review J3300 - see attached. For each pin with a diode, check and post the DIODE reading checks as follows -

REMOVE ALL POWER / NO BATTERY.

Meter in DIODE mode.

RED meter probe to GROUND (shield is ok).

BLACK meter probe to the USB port pin under test (DUT).

Post the reading. We are looking for any off readings here that may indicate a bad ESD diode = causing this fault.

I think you may have done this before but best to review again - update this thread.

Repeat the same testing for the other USB C connector block.

Something is causing this fault - perhaps still due to bad CD3215 firmware but need to rule out the physical connector issues.
                                Attached Files

Comment

I found this thread that had one link not behind their paywall, it looked like it was for my board: https://boards.rossmanngroup.com/thr...466/post-68969

The ROM did not match the original dump of my own ROM via hex editor.

I flashed it to my ROM, I see the same amount of traffic over the MOSI/MISO lines when power is applied, but no difference in behavior

I'll check those diodes next
                                  Last edited by powerblackout; 01-25-2022, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Good find Yes, sounds logical.

As a FYI, MobileSentrix (should have it) & Aliexpress offer breakout boards where you can insert a small PCB onto the USB C connector and then can easily probe each contact on the small pitch connector.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...rch-mainSearch

Comment

I'm running through these so far:

D3302 0.328
                                      D3303 0.328
                                      D3304 0L
                                      D3305 0L
                                      D3301 0L
                                      D3308 0L
                                      D3306 0L
                                      D3307 0L
                                      D3310 0L
                                      D3311 0L
                                      D3309 .646
                                      D3316 0L
                                      D3312 0L
                                      D3314 0.11
                                      D3315 0.335

I have the USB-C shield removed on the back in order to get to the diodes there. My multimeter can't reach the actual diode contacts, is it ok to test on the USB connection point? There seems to be a lot of 0L

Is the entire connector defective?
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by powerblackout; 01-25-2022, 01:58 PM.

Comment

As luck would have it I now have a donor board! Or maybe there places will swap

New board gets all the way to ALL_SYS_PWRGD but there is no display and no backlight. EDP_PANEL_PWR_EN is 0V all the way through the boot process. No chime either.
                                        usb mouse does not light up when plugged into board.

19.9V goes up to 0.68A, fan spin, then 10 seconds later it goes to 20V 0.2A, then back to 0.70A. CPU gets very hot, fan spin eventually starts. SMC bypass mode made fan spin 100% but still no display. Did SMC Reset to no avail.

Trackpad clicks, it had corrosion around Q8060 Q7960 that I cleaned up by removing components, cleaning, then putting them back.

PPVCCCPU_S0G is 0.928V

Which should I use as the donor board lol?
                                        Last edited by powerblackout; 01-26-2022, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Another thing I noticed: on the original board if i wiggle the usb charge connector it will turn off. I thought this was because the laptop case would hold it straight. new donor board doesn't have this problem.

Could there be a short inside the connector, that even when it is works, is causing all the 0L readings?

Comment

Working...
                                          X