An Xbox One PSU Odyssey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Xbox One PSU Odyssey

Firstly I am not a tech. You guys may see mistakes or oversights in my methods so don't be bashful and feel free to post corrections/opinions.

=>Background:
    I bought my son a used Xbox One original model: A12-220N1A Rev: 02 with original PSU & 2 controllers 7 years ago. I “modded” the unit placing a 4.5” 12V exhaust fan with a 9v wall wart adapter on top of the vent/fan of the unit. And plugged the Xbox PSU into a Tripplite LTR-600 voltage regulator. Also connected to the Tripplite are a 275w computer tower, an Xbox 360 PSU and a Westinghouse 52” LED TV.

After 5 years the PSU died due to the documented issue with the 16v 1550mf capacitor next to the LED board needing replacement. I had on hand a 25v 2200mf capacitor (Markings: CE SU Japan 85º). So I put it in the PSU and it worked for another year without issue.

=>When The PSU died again; opening it up, I saw that the three 16v 2200mf caps were all bulging a little. The 25v 2200mf capacitor “looked” fine. I did not have parts on hand and opted to buy one of the knock-off Xbox PSUs from Ebay. All things went back to normal.
    After a year the TV died and I opted to get a Samsung LC32T550FDNXZA-RB 32" T55 Curved Monitor - Refurbished with 5w speakers running on a 19v Power supply.

=>The Monitor was set up, plugged into the Tripplite LTR-600. I turned on the Xbox and the PSU fan spun, green LED, one second then went silent with a red LED. I figured the knock-off PSU had died and my luck was not going well.

=>By coincidence I was making a cap order with https://www.badcaps.net/store and added (4) 16v 2200mf caps to the order to try and fix the original PSU before buying another PSU.

=>I replaced all 4 caps on the original PSU (Though the 25v 2200 cap “looked” good, that 85º rating bothered me and perhaps could have been the culprit (?)). I plugged the original PSU into the Tripplite LTR-600; orange LED, no fan, Xbox no turn on. Dang!

=>I asked my son to do a quick search for Xbox PSU orange and red lights. Within 3 minutes he said people with a non-working PSU had warned that plugging an Xbox PSU into a surge protector would lower the power to the PSU so that it would not work. The recommendation was to plug the PSU directly into the wall outlet. (Me thinking- “But it worked before in the voltage regulator!?”) So okay, I'll plug the red light knock-off PSU into the wall, and then resign myself to buy a new PSU.

=>The fan turned on, green LED, Xbox boots right up. Holy cow!! Well let's try the same method with the re-capped original PSU… Fan turned on, white LED, Xbox boots up. Holy cow squared!!
    So now we're using the recapped original PSU with a functional knock-off PSU as a back up.

=>My Theory:
    I believe I overlooked the variable of adding the 19v Samsung adapter to the LTR-600. I believe that when I did, the LTR-600 distribution to all connected units (Computer, monitor, Xbox One PSU, Xbox 360 PSU) lowered power just enough to render the Xbox One PSU inoperable. (Side note-Xbox 360 worked fine though this whole ordeal)

=>My curiosity:
    1- Am I in the ball park about the Tripplite lowering its distribution just enough to mess up the Xbox One PSUs?
    2- Could a surge suppressor also change distribution levels? I thought they are basically power strips only tripped when input exceeds a voltage or joule threshold.
    3- Could the 25v 2200mf CE SU Japan 85º capacitor have had a thermal breakdown by not being 105º but not showing visual bulging?
    4- What would the pundits of this forum add or educate me about this?

Re: An Xbox One PSU Odyssey

What is this LTR-600? Is it just a surge protector bar or a power conditioner? I don’t think it’s a UPS… for starters take a DMM, measure the power on the wall socket and compare it with what’s coming out of the LTR-600.

Comment

Firstly I'm an idiot because it is the Tripplite LS606M
      https://www.tripplite.com/600w-120v-...outlets~ls606m

It is defined as:
      600W 120V Power Conditioner with Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR), AC Surge Protection, 6 Outlets

Yes, using a DMM would answer that question. I did not think of that as obvious as it is. I don't have natural tech instincts

Thanks for the suggestion.
      Last edited by TMTGTR; 06-17-2022, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Aah! A power conditioner (with AVR). Basically it’s like a lot of UPS’s on the market, less the batteries. So when there is a under or over voltage condition, a relay clicks and corrects the voltage through a transformer with different taps.
        So first check how much AC Volts you get directly on the wall socket. Compare that with what you get out of the AVR power conditioner. So if you have like over 130V AC on the wall socket, the AVR kicks in and knocks the voltage down. Since it is transformer based, it will not correct the output to always 120V, no matter what. In order to have always exact 120V you’d need an “online UPS”.
        At 130V the AVR chicks in and drops the voltage like around 10 to 12 percent or so. Maybe the relays are burnt or worn or cold solder joints, which can lead to funky stuff.
        You also can do the voltage tests on the wall socket and the AVR unit when everything is plugged in and turned on, including the computer on a time when there is high power demand. Try it with bare minimum load like only Xbox and the TV vs everything plugged in and turned on. Keep in mind that you’re AC does fluctuate. Maybe get a kill-a-watt… it will display everything you want to know.
        The surge protection itself, like MOVs getting rid of the spikes, isn’t the problem. Heck, I’ve got a whole house surge protector wired directly into my fuse panel.

Comment

I have several of these line conditioners and they work great until the capacitors get higher ESR value and cause the line conditioner to switch back and forth between two line voltage values and causing all kind of problem

One note it very difficult to replace the capacitors on this device because the wall outlets are attached to the board and there is barely enough room to use a side cutter to be able to remove them and to make matters worse is it is very difficult to find outlet replacement for the square ones if this the style that you have

Now you might think that you can just unsolder the heavy gauge wire while you might be able to this be aware that it going to be very difficult because the back of the board has very wide circuit traces and it is very easily damaged I have two of them that I have to figure out how I am going to reuse them

I am not saying that it is impossible to repair them but it is very difficult to do and you have to have patience while you are attempting to do this repair correctly with out damage something

I live in area that need a electrical system upgrade and they so far have refused to do this upgrade I can have voltage

( sagging or over voltage that sometimes lasts a few seconds )

or

( just low voltage that sometimes lasts for minutes it worse in the summer time and later on in the afternoon —> this does not happen every day or all the time but seems that when the power company has issues it happens for extended period of time calling the power company does not do any good but it use to be worse than it is now )

that causes the battery backup to switch back and forth so I use a line conditioner with a USP battery backup that has a very primitive line conditioner but this battery backup has some nice features one being that it shows you the line voltage and has a bar graph that shows you when you are using to much current

( yes I live in the boon docks we are about to get faster internet service about time this going to happen )

( but one note they send out an email that there going to be outage that are going to last for two hours at a time several times a day really but it was nice that they gave us the heads up about what is about to happen and when but I know next time it time to renew the year contract the cost of service is going up again the service is cheaper with a contract this part is not well known )

I have this setup on my computer system and printer

I have this setup for my tv and stereo system setup
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-18-2022, 06:47 AM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I see to first compare the wall outlet with the LS606M output Via DMM.
            And to also compare the LS606M output with different combinations of peripherals connected.

I can also basically take out the variable:
            Plug Xbox PSU into LS606M And plug monitor into wall. Which means I'm f*ing with something that works which makes me skittish

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
            Maybe the relays are burnt or worn or cold solder joints, which can lead to funky stuff.
            Man I hope not. I need to start by getting that above mentioned data.

The surge protection itself, like MOVs getting rid of the spikes, isn't the problem.
            That was my guess. Perhaps my son read wrong on the Xbox forum or the poster meant a line conditioner...

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
            I have several of these line conditioners and they work great until the capacitors get higher ESR value and cause the line conditioner to switch back and forth between two line voltage values and causing all kind of problem

One note it very difficult to replace the capacitors on this device because the wall outlets are attached to the board and there is barely enough room to use a side cutter to be able to remove them and to make matters worse is it is very difficult to find outlet replacement for the square ones if this the style that you have

Now you might think that you can just unsolder the heavy gauge wire while you might be able to this be aware that it going to be very difficult because the back of the board has very wide circuit traces and it is very easily damaged I have two of them that I have to figure out how I am going to reuse them

I am not saying that it is impossible to repair them but it is very difficult to do and you have to have patience while you are attempting to do this repair correctly with out damage something
            I would not be opposed to attempting a repair but the unit would have to be clearly ready for the scrap heap first.

I have 6 Tripplite regulators and one Furman AR-1215 regulator. In that mix are 2 LS606M (and one LS600-discontinued). I could compare with them as well.
            Got me some home work...

Comment

Originally posted by TMTGTR View Post
              I would not be opposed to attempting a repair but the unit would have to be clearly ready for the scrap heap first.

I have 6 Tripplite regulators and one Furman AR-1215 regulator. In that mix are 2 LS606M (and one LS600-discontinued). I could compare with them as well.
              Got me some home work...
              You will know that you need to repair them when they start switching back and forth but the main voltage from the outlet is only varying a little bit ( less than a 0.50 volts) but line conditioner keeps switching back and forth when you start noticing this unplug it as soon as possible because it will destroy the relays that switching between the two different taps on the transformer
              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-18-2022, 02:16 PM.
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
              10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
              6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
              1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
              25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
              6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply
              1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
              2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
              All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I am just curious… why do you have so many AVR’s? That doesn’t make any sense to me. Most electronics are switching power supplies with built in protection like under voltage cut out, filtering, etc. Surge protected power bars, or a whole house surge protection should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                  You will know that you need to repair them when they start switching back and forth but the main voltage from the outlet is only varying a little bit ( less than a 0.50 volts) but line conditioner keeps switching back and forth when you start noticing this unplug it as soon as possible because it will destroy the relays that switching between the two different taps on the transformer
                  Thanks for the heads up. Thankfully I have not encountered that symptom to date...

Comment

I am just curious… why do you have so many AVR's? That doesn't make any sense to me. Most electronics are switching power supplies with built in protection like under voltage cut out, filtering, etc. Surge protected power bars, or a whole house surge protection should be fine.
                    I do not have a house surge protector.
                    I have very, very limited electronics experience.

I do have a fair degree of digital/analog audio engineering experience. But I am self taught and learn/apply only what is specific to my individual needs.

I applied A/B testing to audio signals (I have two audio studios in my house). Running sine wave audio signals through equipment with voltage regulation versus non-regulation. The unit used is a Furman AR-1215 which is more exacting in tolerance levels vs. Tripplite units (according to the company's stat sheets; though I have read the general consensus that Furman is more exacting than Tripplite in user forums).

I clearly observed the benefit of the regulated signals over the non-regulated as demonstrated by the absence of audible "clicks" and "pops". I also perceived a slightly lower noise floor but I did not bother to record and analyze. The audible test was enough to convince me of applicable benefit.

The Tripplites (being much less expense than Furman units) were added over time to live guitar amp PA setups and home theater setups (Though I did not conduct A/B testing on them).

And two were added to studio/office computers to lighten the internal regulators on the PSUs. I have old XP and 9x computers that run very smoothly and have required no PSU repair/replacement since being on the Tripplites.

The Furman AR-1215 is used exclusively in the recording studio.

Comment

can anyone recommend replacement caps for the xbox one psu the 1500uf 16v please,
                      thank you
                      lee

Comment

Working...
                      X