Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell P2210f no power

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone could help me diagnose the problem with this power supply from a dell p2210f monitor.

I've attached some photos of the board, no caps seem to be visibly bulging and I can't spot any blown components.

Anyone got any ideas?
    Attached Files

Re: Dell P2210f no power

1: Clarify your skill level. if you will use the forum in the future report always which test you have done in the first post. 2: tests with mains voltage switched on or off with main cap. charged can be very dangerous, if you know about that, with a dmm control if around 325v arrives to the legs of the bigger cap. 3: if doesn't control the fuse for open, that black cilinder near 220VAC socket. if is ok wait for further instructions or 4: test the outputs voltages, keep present that testing voltages on primary need the negative lead of dmm to be put on a part connected to the - of the big cap., for the secondary you can use those points connected to - of biggers secondary caps, to find the one for inverter section check the middle pin of those 3pin double diodes, if there aren't test with voltage off for short the main transistor on the primary, if it's shorted test the big resistor near it and everything connected to it for open/short apart the transformer 5: check for any other fuse on the secondary, them are labeled F1, F2 or PF1, PF2 etc..

Comment

How have you confirmed that it is the Power Supply that is faulty ?? When you switch the monitor on WITH a PC attached,does the Power light come on ?? Does the Power led change colour when the PC sends a signal to it ?? does that colour stay on all of the time ???

Comment

Im having the same exact problem, did you find a solution for this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by hano009 View Post
          Im having the same exact problem, did you find a solution for this problem?
          Did you try checking the easiest components to diagnose? Check the fuses, thermistor and diodes first. Discharge the big main capacitor first before checking! Use the continuity test on the multimeter to diagnose these components. You can use the same continuity test to quick check the capacitors for ability to charge (again, discharge the capacitors first before using this test).

Attach the IP (inverter and power supply) board to the mains power. Check for any voltages on the secondary side (one of them should be +5V while the other should be +12V or greater), then check the voltage across the big main capacitor on the primary side (should measure anywhere from +168V to +350V depending on your mains voltage).

Warning! Please put the board on a piece of insulator (e.g. cardboard, thick plastic, etc) and avoid the direct contact with the primary section while the board is connected to the mains power. Just becareful!

Comment

Hi,

as I found this thread googling around for the same problem and nobody seems to have documented a fix, here's mine:

I had the same dead power supply and found that one of the big SR520 diodes was shorted. All caps looked fine in my case as well.

It seems to be insanely difficult to come by new SR520 diodes. Due to incorrect data sheets online (essentially copied SB520 data sheets), I figured it was a 5A 20V diode when it seems that it is in fact 200V. So I ended up buying SB560 (5A, 60V) as a replacement. This did NOT work.
            I then went for a MUR420 "ultrafast diode" as a replacement - as suggested in another forum. Even though it is only specified at 4A instead of 5A, it seems to work well so far. As far as I can tell it is very unlikely that the diode actually has to support 5A in the first place: It is located on one of at least two secondary rails and the whole screen does not use as much power as this diode is designed for. If anyone has a different opinion about that I'm interested in hearing it, though.

Anyway, I hope this helps the next person coming along with the same (apparently quite common) problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mde_ View Post
              Hi,

as I found this thread googling around for the same problem and nobody seems to have documented a fix, here's mine:

I had the same dead power supply and found that one of the big SR520 diodes was shorted. All caps looked fine in my case as well.

It seems to be insanely difficult to come by new SR520 diodes. Due to incorrect data sheets online (essentially copied SB520 data sheets), I figured it was a 5A 20V diode when it seems that it is in fact 200V. So I ended up buying SB560 (5A, 60V) as a replacement. This did NOT work.
              I then went for a MUR420 "ultrafast diode" as a replacement - as suggested in another forum. Even though it is only specified at 4A instead of 5A, it seems to work well so far. As far as I can tell it is very unlikely that the diode actually has to support 5A in the first place: It is located on one of at least two secondary rails and the whole screen does not use as much power as this diode is designed for. If anyone has a different opinion about that I'm interested in hearing it, though.

Anyway, I hope this helps the next person coming along with the same (apparently quite common) problem.
              Just aquired two broken 2210f monitor (and time to look at it). All caps also looked fine and indeed it was the SR520 diode that is broken. I can confirm this for two boards now (with one it was D855 and the other D854). Will try the fix as soon as I have the new parts.
              Thanks for the post after 5 years!

Comment

On both boards I have replaced D855 and D854 with the MUR420 and now the displays work again! (And thus confirming with two more repairs)

Comment

Same with my dead Dell P2210F; blows one of the parallel configured diodes D855 or D854. One of them goes s/c. Replaced twice with SB type. Now will try with suggested MUR420 type - ordered on EBay. Will post results. (Not expecting to work, problem may be elsewhere, but worth a try?)

Comment

Originally posted by vhartong View Post
                    On both boards I have replaced D855 and D854 with the MUR420 and now the displays work again! (And thus confirming with two more repairs)
                    Same here, with two Dell 2210f monitors. One monitor working fine. The other found to be faulty LCD panel - turns off after 2secs when power applied. Swapped the panels and found fault lies with panel. Both Power boards, with same repair, now fully working. Played all night on Neverwinter Online with my new HD monitor! Well chuffed. Thanks for this solution guys. Now just need to view more YouTube vids about repairing t-con boards for panels.

Comment

Originally posted by mde_ View Post
                      Hi,

Thank you it did. Just hope it's not 'masking' another problem? Will see how long solution lasts, hopefully, won't be a problem in future.

Comment

My Dell P2210F blue power light kept tuning on and off in a loop.

Just wanted to say thank you. this thread helped me pinpoint what was wrong with mine.

removed both D855 and D854 and tested off circuit since they are in parallel.

D854 was bad in mine.

replaced with a HER605 diode (400V 6A) since that was the closest that was available locally for pickup at Altronics.

https://www.altronics.com.au/p/z0120...silicon-diode/

Screen is back up and running fine now.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by SkullKill; 03-05-2022, 06:04 AM. Reason: added picture

Comment

I've got the same problem here. One of the diodes was faulty. Could I use this diode as a replacement? https://www.jaycar.co.nz/diode-6a4-4...ck-10/p/ZR1044.

Comment

In the original post of this thread you can find the service manual:
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48690

I would replace both diodes with a matched pair of ultrafast diodes with a voltage rating of at least 400v and 5A because that is what is in the schematic. (SF50-04)
                            Ultrafast diodes are required because this diode sits on the secondary of a high frequency switching transformer, unfortunately Jaycar only seems to stock a 1A ultrafast diode.
                            Note that it is not good design practice to put two diodes in parallel:
                            One will always be slightly different than the other so it will conduct more and eventually fail, this is the reason for replacing both as a matched pair.
                            Even better would be to just leave out one of the diodes and use a higher rated single diode as replacement.
                            It is interesting to note that the schematic seems to show this, because D854 is listed as "NC" implying "no connect" as a possibility:

Attached Files
                            Last edited by Per Hansson; 06-27-2022, 02:56 AM.
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post

I would replace both diodes with a matched pair of ultrafast diodes with a voltage rating of at least 400v and 5A because that is what is in the schematic. (SF50-04)
                              Ultrafast diodes are required because this diode sits on the secondary of a high frequency switching transformer, unfortunately Jaycar only seems to stock a 1A ultrafast diode.
                              One will always be slightly different than the other so it will conduct more and eventually fail, this is the reason for replacing both as a matched pair.
                              Even better would be to just leave out one of the diodes and use a higher rated single diode as replacement.
                              It is interesting to note that the schematic seems to show this, because D854 is listed as "NC" implying "no connect" as a possibility:

Thanks for that. Are you are able to give me a link to the schematic?

Comment

Originally posted by jrcollins View Post
                                Thanks for that. Are you are able to give me a link to the schematic?
                                Sorry, I see you already posted the link.

Comment

I was hoping to find the output power voltages on the 12 pin connector (CN851) but it doesn't seem to be in the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post

What about this one? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/23460226...cAAOSw5cpit78s

Comment

I would not buy from that seller because he mixed up the type of diode in the title of the AD vs the description!
                                      "Ultra Fast Recovery Diode" vs "Standard General Purpose"
                                      -Typical Chinese crap, basically you can never trust to buy semiconductors from eBay or Aliexpress and other such sources.

I realized I made a mistake on Jaycar: I didn't see there where multiple pages to view because of their weird page layout, so here is one that should work great:
                                      https://www.jaycar.com.au/diode-fr60...ck-10/p/ZR1054

As for the schematic it seems a bit of the right of the paper got cut off when it was produced.
                                      But it can be inferred that you should have a +16v for the backlight, and then +12v and +5v for the logic on that connector.
                                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Yes, I try to avoid those websites too whenever possible. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                                        X