Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here is a good USB C tester that actually works first time you connect it to a device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a good USB C tester that actually works first time you connect it to a device

Here is where you can find one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11450939852...53.m2749.l2649

I am not getting paid for this recommendation nor was it a free item from the seller

I have bought several USB A/C type testers are not worth a crap for USB C you have to connect it several times to a USB C device before it recognizes the device to me this is worthless

The only downside of this tester is that it does not tell you what protocol you are accessing but this to me is not a very big deal because I would rather have it connect every time I hook it up to a device

I have a USB C type charger that with this USB C tester charger really fast charges my iPad very quickly compared to the other usb type testers that I have

I am not going to use it to fast charge the tablets every time I use them but I now have a way to fast charging method that actually works correctly

Here is an example of what I am talking about how fast this USB C charger and the USB C tester works correctly together my iPad was at 83% charge and 10 minutes later it was a 100% ( this was with me not using the tablet ) charge the charging milliamperes was 2.69 @ 5.29 volts my regulator USB A voltage is set to 5.19 volts ( 2.3 milliamperes at the highest and drops down to below 2 amps very quickly ) because any voltage above this cause the charging current to go down so at this voltage is where I get the highest charging current each time I connect it to the charger
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-06-2022, 06:26 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: Here is a good USB C tester that actually works first time you connect it to a de

I find iPad battery life is fake, if I charge with a high-rate adapter it charges quickly but strangely discharges fast as well. I don't get the battery life as usual.
    If I use a slow USB charger, I get way longer battery life.
    If I do a cold-boot, I permanently lose quite a bit for battery life and the % gauge gets even more non-linear.

To me it's apparent Apple is throttling battery things with iPads, just as they did with the iPhone 6. That led to class-action lawsuits 'batterygate'. There is another more going on in the EU regarding this. iPad planned obsolescence and battery life ripoff.

You might keep an eye on Coulombs going into your iPad and then you can see their charger-control and battery gauge are dishonest.

Comment

Re: Here is a good USB C tester that actually works first time you connect it to a de

I can run for a very long time on my iPad before I need to charge it and I have read that they were playing game with the battery life I also had a company iPhone 6 that had the battery issue not lasting very long and had them replaced battery and it was a little bit better but not for very long before that battery started doing the same thing so I am awake of there games
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
        I find iPad battery life is fake, if I charge with a high-rate adapter it charges quickly but strangely discharges fast as well. I don't get the battery life as usual.
        If I use a slow USB charger, I get way longer battery life.
        If I do a cold-boot, I permanently lose quite a bit for battery life and the % gauge gets even more non-linear.

To me it's apparent Apple is throttling battery things with iPads, just as they did with the iPhone 6. That led to class-action lawsuits 'batterygate'. There is another more going on in the EU regarding this. iPad planned obsolescence and battery life ripoff.

You might keep an eye on Coulombs going into your iPad and then you can see their charger-control and battery gauge are dishonest.
        You can't make a modern iPad charge any faster than the circuitry inside the iPad will allow it to charge. There is no "passive" charging happening in ANY modern device these days ... the best you can do is throw amperage at it and let it manage it however it's going to manage it ... which makes me think that your conclusions about your observations might be psychological in nature as opposed to emperical by the evidence ... ;-)
        Last edited by EasyGoing1; 07-13-2022, 05:35 AM.

Comment

You are correct about this

“ You can't make a modern iPad charge any faster than the circuitry inside the iPad will allow it to charge.”

No the iPad has a protocol that is suppose to be negotiated from the charger but most of them do not do the Apple protocol very well if at all and by default it will go to 2 amps or less

Because in the older chargers the maximum is 2 amps if you have the resistor network correct if they are good quality ones and yes these are more expensive that can do it correctly

( even most cheap chargers can that deliver 2 amps is because the resistor network is correct and are hard to find because a lot of these chargers have other design issues )

Most type C charger that are inexpensive can not negotiate the correct device types it will do some of them but not all the different types

This type C charger actually negotiates the correct device type that is why it showing over 2.6 amp and not the normal 2 amp charging rate this is a $70.00 type C charger one other note the charging cable also make a difference to weather or not you will get the 2.6 amp charging rate or not

( this is not an Apple brand charger they are to expensive for a high capacity )

( does not mean that you have to use an Apple made charging cable but the cable must be a good quality one )

The reason I know this is because I am a real cheap a** when it comes to buying chargers and cables I finally decided that I going to answer the question does a more expensive charger make a difference the answer is not always believe it or not which I was surprised by myself

( one note some type C charger do not support all charging protocols even if they say they do which I was surprised by as well )

One other thing that I have noticed with some chargers is that even if it says 2.4 amp per connector outlet type A you will be lucky if it can even deliver 2 amp I have even seen some that can barely deliver 1 amp

This is the reason I took a medical grade switching power supply that is 5 amp and took a usb resistor network that was correct and put them together with a charging monitor device to make a good usb charger
          Attached Files
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-14-2022, 04:15 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Thanks i will buy 1 and try

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
              Most type C charger that are inexpensive can not negotiate the correct device types it will do some of them but not all the different types
              I've been curious about that very thing ... as I only recently got into these USB-C chargers and was surprised to know that they even negotiate voltage at all ... until you think about the fact that you can use a 100W charger for a MBP and also on an iPhone - which will NOT be a 19V device as the MBP is.

And when I finally looked them up and learned that these chargers are dynamic like this ... I then assumed the voltage negotiation process MUST have been well thought through and well defined in the standard ... probably so much so that there is a single chip out there for all manufactures that makes the negotiation step in the charging process all but simple boilerplate circuitry...

This type C charger actually negotiates the correct device type that is why it showing over 2.6 amp and not the normal 2 amp charging rate this is a $70.00 type C charger one other note the charging cable also make a difference to weather or not you will get the 2.6 amp charging rate or not

( one note some type C charger do not support all charging protocols even if they say they do which I was surprised by as well )
              Clearly, my thought was nothing less than a pipe dream ...

( this is not an Apple brand charger they are to expensive for a high capacity )

( does not mean that you have to use an Apple made charging cable but the cable must be a good quality one )

The reason I know this is because I am a real cheap a** when it comes to buying chargers and cables I finally decided that I going to answer the question does a more expensive charger make a difference the answer is not always believe it or not which I was surprised by myself

One other thing that I have noticed with some chargers is that even if it says 2.4 amp per connector outlet type A you will be lucky if it can even deliver 2 amp I have even seen some that can barely deliver 1 amp

This is the reason I took a medical grade switching power supply that is 5 amp and took a usb resistor network that was correct and put them together with a charging monitor device to make a good usb charger
              Nothing Apple sells can ever take on the descriptor "reasonably affordable" - until you step back and look at the total experience of the purchase... the quality in their engineering standards and the way they stand behind their products to even their amazing tech support which has succeeded in removing all barriers when it comes to accessing them ... I literally send a single text and I have a tech at the ready within 5 minutes and I never have to hassle with creating a ticket or anything ... they handle it for me and they are persistent until the problem is solved ... ALL OF THAT ... makes their asking prices well worth it to me...

That being said, I too am cheap bastard and will sometimes spend ENORMOUS quantities of time scouring Amazon to squeeze another couple of bucks out of whatever it is I'm looking for ... often realizing that the loss in time by no means justified the time spent for a few lousy bucks.

So a couple of weeks ago I decided I needed a backup charger for my MBP and was looking at the 100W plus USB-C type chargers and noticed that many of the "higher end" after market brands employed this "fast charging" tech called GaN ... what do you know about that ... whatever it is ... protocol? Method? stupid name that means nothing???

This particular charger was on sale for 60% off which ended up being the right price, but I've been less than impressed with it so far.

This is the charger I got, The cost after tax was $29 at that time.

Comment

Okay one other thing I should have pointed out was if you want a real USB type C the device can not have a usb type A or any other type connector because the main connection will be to the format of the type A not to the type c format I am not sure exactly why this is the case which is why I am not surprised that you are disappointed with the results of this multi type of charger

This is what I found about GaN

“Gallium nitride, or GaN, is a material that's starting to be used for semiconductors in chargers. It was used to make LEDs starting in the '90s, and it's also a popular material for solar cell arrays on satellites. The main thing about GaN when it comes to chargers is that it produces less heat. Less heat means components can be closer together, so a charger can be smaller than ever before—while maintaining all the power capabilities and safety standards.”

This is the first time I have heard anything about this type of construction on circuit boards

I would agree with you about the quality of there product but I have a real issue with two aspect of the business plan this company has

One that none of there products are open source which means if you are application developer and you want to develop an app you at there merry which is wrong for so many reasons

And the other issue I have with Apple is that when they do a system update they do tell you the real reason for the update in this respect Microsoft is not any better

There security updates for there products is some time not explain very well and the reason for the update

The nonsense about battery limitations ( using China made batteries) and playing games with the software limitations on preforms when below 30% of charge left on your device and not letting you decide if you want to do this or not

Now Android operating system to are no better because the issue here that they have to many operating systems and most of the time they are not compatible with each other this is the biggest reason I will not buy a Android based device
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-16-2022, 07:24 AM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Okay one other thing I should have pointed out was if you want a real USB type C the device can not have a usb type A or any other type connector because the main connection will be to the format of the type A not to the type c format I am not sure exactly why this is the case which is why I am not surprised that you are disappointed with the results of this multi type of charger

This is what I found about GaN
                  That's interesting ... My main disappointment with the charger, and I have not given it much time in terms of verifying what I think I'm seeing with it but when I use the charger to power an external LED panel for my laptop (one of those panels that you can hang off the side of the laptop), if I have anything else plugged into the charger like a phone for example, then when I either disconnect the phone or connect it to the charger, the power for the monitor gets cycled off, then back on which is strange ... and also the charger doesn't seem to be very consistent in terms of current delivery when you are charging more than one device even if the sum consumption of those devices is much lower than the rated capacity of the charger.

Also interesting about GaN I knew that the touted reason to use it was lower heat but they also claim faster charge times which now I realize is because they can increase the current because of the lower temperatures actualized with that material. I didn't know GaN was a material either I thought it was some kind of charging method - perhaps patented and "canned" so that anyone can license it for their charger ... guess I should have googled it lol.

Comment

Here is something else you should know unless each usb c has it own chip it not be able to do two different voltages at the same time be aware of this limitation as well
                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                    1 Dell Mother Board
                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                    X