Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glueing Two Sided Flex Ribbon,Jaguar XJS Instrument cluster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glueing Two Sided Flex Ribbon,Jaguar XJS Instrument cluster.

Hello All.

I'm working on the printed flex circuit board (flexible type) of a 1990 Jaguar XJS Instrument cluster. If you Google that you'll be able to get a general idea.

In areas, the plastic has come apart allowing the copper strip to kinda flop around and be exposed to the elements.

What can I use to glue the 2 faces of the plastic material together trapping the copper ribbon inside...

Again - thank you all for you help. This will be the 4th or 5th time now that I have come here to receive AMAZING advise and directions. Thanks so much!

Re: Glueing Two Sided Flex Ribbon,Jaguar XJS Instrument cluster.

Hey If you are trying to glue plastic together then any glue will work. If you are trying to glue the actual flex cable then I would say hot glue would be the safest option. You can even use it to cover whatever is exposed. I googled it and it appears to be a big flex with many traces. What exactly are you trying to glue and are you sure it doesn't need to be soldered?

Please attached pictures.

Comment

Hey Gleb...

Basically the two halves of the plastic ribbon have come away from each other at a few sections, and it's getting worse. This particular area is all B+ 13+ volts, so I need it tied down with something non conductive, that will hold. There should be any heat involved other than the heat and cold that the interior of a car will experience thru seasons. Was looking for an adhesive for this. Will send some snaps

The other issues, yes, some pictures and diagrams will be forthcoming. Now that I GOT ya, lol...

Comment

The original flex is a sandwich of plastic, adhesive, copper formed under high pressure and heat in a press. Guessing mylar film (not darker coloured polyamide) and adhesive similar to DuPont Pyralux LF but it only comes in sheets. I couldn't find any glues for repair.
        Cyanoacrylate (Super Glue) does not stick to some plastics or metal, you'd have to do a test but I think it's not good.
        People solder in jumper wires to bypass the flex cable but soldering it melts and wrecks it. Instrument cluster should not have high current beyond needing to clear a fuse if there is a short circuit.

Comment

HellO Red. Ok, I see the link. And I like your thinking. I have some super glue on hand I just was sure whether it was conductive or not.

I'll post up some photos, feel a bit ashamed of what I'm working with, but... Time and age did this, not me, lol. I have destroyed anything,,, yet 😆
          Attached Files

Comment

I would use B-7000 rather than super glue as it has a little flex.

Comment

This might work but have never tried this but it might be worth a try if the plastic has come loose from both side of the trace then why not use full sheet of laminating that is use to laminate full sheet of paper that you want to keep

I do not see any reason why this would not work however if someone does feel that this would not work feel free to explain to me why this would not work

it might not be as strong as the original one is but it might still be good enough to keep using the cluster unit until you can maybe find a replacement for it

( I would only repair the sections that are bad I would not try to peal off sections that are not separating )

( if the copper trace is torn they do sell copper strip on a roll in different diameters which can be replaced and join back together with soldering them back together )

I would clean the copper until it shines before I would laminate it back together if this should work please let me know how it turns out
              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-07-2022, 01:48 AM.
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
              10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
              6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
              1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
              25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
              6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply
              1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
              2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
              All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by JayPoorJay View Post
                I'll post up some photos, feel a bit ashamed of what I'm working with, but... Time and age did this, not me, lol. I have destroyed anything,,, yet ��
                Do not feel bad about the hand that you are dealt with because you have no control over the issues that are present sometimes you have to think outside of the box for a solution to fix the issue

You can try to find a junkyard that has a watt line that can get in touch with other junkyard to find a replacement unit for you just have to ask if they have this service ( most of the time they are junkyards that are not you pull your own parts and you will have to pay more for this service because the part has been already been pulled )

Here is one I think that I might have used in the past to hard to find parts

https://www.fenixparts.com/

There are a couple of them here in Jacksonville FL I have used them before for parts that are very hard to find

Here is another place that you can try I personally have not bought from them so I can not recommend them

https://www.partrequest.com/catalog/...uar/jaguar-xjs

Go to this website page

https://www.partrequest.com/request/parts/5629f92e27af

I hope this helps you
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-07-2022, 02:33 AM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

We’ve got something called shoe goo. It sticks like mad, but stays flexible.

Comment

Ha! I remember shoe goo. Was a good thing when it came out,,, 80s I think...?

So, I used a combination of super glue (which I liked) and the E6000 (which I know think is a knock off of another product) which reminded me a lot of shoe goo. All good results. The super glue DID make for stiff sections (which wasn't a bad thing in some areas) and the 6000 in areas that MIGHT get bumped or moved. All good. I reinstalled the instrument cluster last night and drove into work this morning.

Replaced many lights with LEDs. Great improvement. Dealing with the polarity was not much fun.

Still. No speedometer...
                    Is anyone in this thread willing to help with that.
                    I'd be happy to post what information I have in it.
                    Which ain't much.

Either way,,, thank you ALL for your help, guidance, advise, suggestions... Helped me sleep better at night.

Oh! About replacing the cluster. I have 4 old cars. Sometimes I have to bite the bullet and replace things outright. Scouring the world over for bits and pieces... But I try to hold off unless absolutely no alternative is possible. One, I like fixing stuff and TWO (the big one,,,) I ain't a rich man. So it goes

Thanks again good people!
                    And let me know if you'd be interested in the speedometer issues

Comment

If you post some pictures of the speedometer I might be able to help you with it but I have to see what you have the more detail on the picture the better

I have repaired one on my 1995 Ford Range once before and on another car before
                      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-13-2022, 11:05 AM.
                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                      1 Dell Mother Board
                      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                      X