Samsung Galaxy Buds - charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Galaxy Buds - charging

Would anyone happen to know the voltage and current that the charging case gives to the Samsung Galaxy Buds?

And which pin is positive and which is negative?
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung Galaxy Buds - charging

aren't they charged without wires ?

Comment

No, they have to be sitting in the case, and the two metal contacts you see in the picture engage with pins in the case.

The case is then either plugged into a USB supply, or can be charged by induction with a compatible phone, or induction charger, I understand. There is also a battery in the (official) case, I don't know if the buds are charged directly from the battery, or via the supply when plugged in.
      Last edited by tmcw; 02-22-2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

hard to say but at a guess it is 5v same as usb . what voltage is on the pins ?

Comment

If you mean the pins on the charging case, I don't know, I don't have one to hand.

If you mean the contacts on the buds, I don't know that either, as the battery is dead (or the buds are damaged in some other way). And there is a fair bit of electronics in these buds, so putting a voltmeter on the contacts probably wouldn't do much good.

I have looked at a couple of teardowns of both the buds and the charging case, and have seen that the battery inside the buds are 3.7v Li-ions, but there might be some electronics in the buds that change the input voltage to them, or the voltage is determined in the charging case. The teardowns didn't help with voltage or polarity.

I was hoping that someone here might have a set and could check their charger for it's voltage, and more importantly, determine which contact on the pin is positive.
          Last edited by tmcw; 02-22-2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

see if you can measure any voltage . a few mv.s even should say which is positive and negative .

Comment

Tried that, and even when getting a few millivolts through the air, or through my finger, the meter drops to exactly zero when touched off the contacts, in either direction.

Comment

try resistance to see if shorted together

Comment

At the 200k setting, I'm getting a value of about 190.

Would that be what to expect?

Comment

not sure without seeing the circuit diagram .
                    one pin might go straight to the battery or through not many components . battery should have +- on it .

Comment

Working...
                    X