BGA replacement success rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGA replacement success rate

I am new in replacing bga chips and i have to admit that i still have trouble in balling, reballing chips... it is not 20 minute job for me...its more like one hour at this time and when i say balling and trouble i generally mean on PCH chips that from my expirience are real tough, because they are small and balls are very close, so they run...and so on.
    Right now my succes rate is about 30%. It is hard to tell is it because i order from china already dead chips or they die in the process of soldering...so lately i have been using bga chips from donor motherboards that i buy from people who sell dead laptops. And yes my succes rate is increased.

What i wont to know from you (expirienced long time members)....does it get any better? what is your success rate?
    Do you order chips from China or use dead laptops from the local markets?
    And in the end why some bga chip die in process? Is it because of the excessive heat, or heat expose for the long period or just mechanical stress from the process?
    thank you!
    Last edited by myth77; 03-25-2021, 08:45 AM.

Re: BGA replacement success rate

I was under the impression that many BGA chips fail because of the lead free solder and flexing from heat/cool cycles. Are you sure you need to be replacing these chips and not just reballing and resoldering, maybe with proper Pb solder?

Comment

Working...
    X