Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building a gaming rig for my dad...

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    A dual-CPU Xeon setup with 2x mid-range Westmere 6-core CPUs will come somewhat close to this chip, but still not top it.
    I have one of those!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64744

Ignore the crappy GPU score above. It's a Novabench glitch.

Sure, in novabench the dual hex-core westemeres won, but in Catzilla (physics test), it was no contest (and having watched both of them run, the proof is in the pudding indeed!). Since Catzilla supposedly is based on gaming algorithms, for what my dad is doing, I'll give the win to Ryzen.
    Last edited by ratdude747; 04-08-2021, 08:18 PM.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      Sure, in novabench the dual hex-core westemeres won, but in Catzilla (physics test), it was no contest (and having watched both of them run, the proof is in the pudding indeed!). Since Catzilla supposedly is based on gaming algorithms, for what my dad is doing, I'll give the win to Ryzen.
      IDK, I still hate relying on these synthetic benchmarks for any kind of meaningful performance comparisons, especially with gaming.

For example, many older console ports (and really, almost all games are these days) build for the Xbox One / PS5 are optimized (if not limited) to use no more than 4-8 cores. Thus, having more cores and threads does noting for these games. Fortnite is one good example of that - it won't go past 8 threads and will do much nicer on fewer cores with high IPC count and high frequency than many (more than 8) cores with lower IPC / running frequency. On the other hand, Doom Eternal (or whatever the last installment is called, I forget) will scale up and split the load nicely on as many cores as there are available. Thus, a dual Westmere setup here might actually end with nearly equal performance to the Ryzen (or maybe slightly better with the really fast Westmeres.) And I think CoD Warzone is in a similar boat. In fact, Warzone needs at least 6-8 fast cores (not threads) to run well. So most older 4-core i5's will not do well with it, despite probably also likely being able to get higher "physics" scores on Catzilla than the Xeon Westmeres.

So at the end of the day, these benchmarks are nothing more than a rough "feeler". But I think you did make the right choice with the Ryzen, as it's a pretty efficient CPU at 65W TDP (probably about 80-100W under max load.) At least for your dad, it probably makes much more sense to have a rig like that than a big multi-CPU behemoth. And the Ryzen CPU supports newer instruction sets too, so from a "futureproofing" perspective (at least for gaming), it again makes more sense.
      Last edited by momaka; 04-08-2021, 08:45 PM.

Comment

For 2x CPU Westmeres I would go with the X5687 4 core/8thread versions.
        IDK if TS can handle 2x CPU at once. 8 threads isn't a problem. But Turbo speed on all cores would be 3.89Ghz.
        The Dell T5500 is the same midtower size as the T3500. So it doesn't have to be a behemoth.
        But the favorite for this is the Dell T3500 with unlocked Xeon X3680 TS overclocked to 4.1GHz. and 3 channel ddr3 1333.
        Here are few at the top of the T3500 chart at userbenchmark.com
        https://www.userbenchmark.com/System...n-T3500--/2522
        Here's a TPU thread on this.
        https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...op-pcs.235975/
        Last edited by Retrorockit; 04-20-2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X