Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > General Topics > General Computer & Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Your 2021 Mainstream OS
Windows 10 12 36.36%
Windows 8/8.1 1 3.03%
Windows 7 10 30.30%
Windows Vista or older (to include XP, W2K,or older MS OS) 2 6.06%
Mac OS/OSX 2 6.06%
Some flavor of Linux (brag on your distro in a post) 6 18.18%
PC's are for old geezers, I don't use one anymore...I'm a phone monkey 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2021, 02:25 PM   #21
televizora
ghettomodmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
City & State: Bulgaria
My Country: Bulgaria
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 894
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Do you know what annoys me most in Win10? Lack of personalization options.
You cant even pin programs to start menu, unless you manually create folder in the dirs of the start menu, put icons there and then pin them. So, if you have a program that is exe only, like WinBox you cant pin it there. Neither you can pin shortcut to URL like page or SMB path. You cant put shortcuts to bat files either. Nor you can pin them to quicklaunch. The new control panel is almost useless and terrible. I don't understand why you need 2 control panels. And I made shortcut to it, put it in folder, after I found where start menu items are held and then pinned it to the start menu.
If they just remove the bug with 50% CPU, 100% HDD by Software protection, remove forced updates, privacy violations and the new control panel and leave alone the old one, Win10 can become decent OS. And Microsoft account crap. I want local account, I neither need, nor want Microsoft.
__________________
Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams
televizora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #22
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 14,114
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by televizora View Post
...And Microsoft account crap. I want local account, I neither need, nor want Microsoft.
This. If you've ever cleanly (not an upgrade) installed W10 home on a system, if you connect it to the internet, you can't even create a local account from the installer. Its friggin' nuts....only allows a M$ login or create a M$ account....which I do neither for clients on the rare occasion I use home (depending on what they're licensed for, I'll always kick it up to Pro if I can). No M$ OS should EVER be without local accounts and a group policy editor!
__________________
<--- Badcaps.net Founder & Owner

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List


Motherboard Repair Services


If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #23
TechGeek
Computer Geek
 
TechGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
City & State: Nowhereland, Texas
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120/2/[email protected]
I'm a: Hardcore Geek
Posts: 1,827
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

I flat-out REFUSE to install 10 on any system around here. I'll kick it over to 8.1 Pro, but once that drops, it's Debian Linux. No 10 around here.
__________________
Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Windows 10? Only if you like forced, buggy updates and 24/7 telemetry.

Samsung = Seagate = Seatrash = Trashgate
Don't buy Seagate drives. Don't use Seagate drives. If you have any in service right now, make plans to replace them ASAP.

SMR = Slow Magnetic Recording
Avoid SMR, buy CMR drives instead. SMR is easily a 15+ year step BACKWARDS in HDD speed.

Permanently Retired Systems:
RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.



TechGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:10 PM   #24
ratdude747
Black Sheep
 
ratdude747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Madison, IN
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 16,448
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
This. If you've ever cleanly (not an upgrade) installed W10 home on a system, if you connect it to the internet, you can't even create a local account from the installer. Its friggin' nuts....only allows a M$ login or create a M$ account....which I do neither for clients on the rare occasion I use home (depending on what they're licensed for, I'll always kick it up to Pro if I can). No M$ OS should EVER be without local accounts and a group policy editor!
I've been able to do it with internet connected. Required more hoops than a dolphin at seaworld.

That said, my personal 10 accounts are connected... because I have a dev account with them that I used to get an insider preview of 10 ages ago. No issues so far...
__________________


(Insert witty quote here)
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:14 PM   #25
ratdude747
Black Sheep
 
ratdude747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Madison, IN
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 16,448
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by televizora View Post
If you are adventurous person, you can try upgrading?
I upgraded all of my workstations when 7 support ended. Some I did fresh installs on, some I upgraded in place. Few issues with the upgrade, other than the occasional driver bull pucky.
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:27 PM   #26
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 14,114
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
I've been able to do it with internet connected. Required more hoops than a dolphin at seaworld.
I remember reading the hoops you speak of and just found it easier to make sure the system was offline....haha
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #27
TechGeek
Computer Geek
 
TechGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
City & State: Nowhereland, Texas
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120/2/[email protected]
I'm a: Hardcore Geek
Posts: 1,827
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Yep. Even with Win8.1, I pull the LAN before installing Windows and it doesn't see said LAN connection again until I'm at a desktop, ready to install drivers.
TechGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #28
Per Hansson
Super Moderator
 
Per Hansson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
City & State: ----
My Country: Sweden
Line Voltage: 230v 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 4,754
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

I will just copy my reply from last years poll
I voted Win7.
And seeing how stubborn I am it will remain like that for a while I imagine
__________________
"The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."
Per Hansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:02 PM   #29
televizora
ghettomodmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
City & State: Bulgaria
My Country: Bulgaria
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 894
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

At least 10 is somewhat better than 8. At least there is start menu and Metro is reduced.
televizora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #30
Per Hansson
Super Moderator
 
Per Hansson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
City & State: ----
My Country: Sweden
Line Voltage: 230v 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 4,754
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

I don't agree, all 8.1 needs is a start-menu replacement like Start8 IMO.
To fix Windows 10 takes a whole lot more!
Per Hansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:44 PM   #31
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 14,114
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Hansson View Post
I don't agree, all 8.1 needs is a start-menu replacement like Start8 IMO.
To fix Windows 10 takes a whole lot more!
Yup. Classicshell took care of that on 8/8.1. W8.1 brought the actual start menu button back but still had the metro interface.

W10....uhgggg....so much BS, silencing, tweaking, and swear words....
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:46 PM   #32
ratdude747
Black Sheep
 
ratdude747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Madison, IN
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 16,448
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Hansson View Post
I don't agree, all 8.1 needs is a start-menu replacement like Start8 IMO.
To fix Windows 10 takes a whole lot more!
That's why the bay trail tablets have modded 8.1. Since they're stuck on standard, 10 can't be slimmed of bloat (without it all coming back on an update), but 8.1 can. And as light as the resources are on them (especially the x32 ones with only 1-2GB RAM and 16-32GB SSD storage), to be useful they need debloated.
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #33
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 14,114
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
That's why the bay trail tablets have modded 8.1. Since they're stuck on standard, 10 can't be slimmed of bloat (without it all coming back on an update), but 8.1 can. And as light as the resources are on them (especially the x32 ones with only 1-2GB RAM and 16-32GB SSD storage), to be useful they need debloated.
Who modded it>? The manufacturer of the tablet or M$; perhaps an 'unofficial' embedded edition of 8.1? The 8.1 UI with a few tweaks is actually very nice.
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:05 PM   #34
brethin
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
City & State: Owensboro, KY.
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 1,838
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Windows 98 with usb 2.0 support!��
brethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #35
televizora
ghettomodmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
City & State: Bulgaria
My Country: Bulgaria
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 894
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Hansson View Post
I don't agree, all 8.1 needs is a start-menu replacement like Start8 IMO.To fix Windows 10 takes a whole lot more!
The support for Windows 8.1 is almost at it's end. And no matter what you do, most of the time if you try to do something more complex, you end up in the full screen Metro start menu. Even the fact that putting the cursor on the right edge of your screen opens again Metro menu is annoying.
Also, classic shell is third party software. You wouldn't use it in production environment, neither big company will use it on it's office computers.
Is there quiet installer? Is there MSI installer? How you will configure default options for every user?
Group policy integration? Deployment? No?

Last edited by televizora; 01-02-2021 at 07:48 PM..
televizora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:45 PM   #36
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 14,114
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by televizora View Post
The support for Windows 8.1 is almost at it's end.
2023, so there's a solid 2yrs left. Same with Server 2012. Also, with the end of these two comes the end of definitions for MS security essentials, which still functions/updates on EOL Windows 7.
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:53 PM   #37
televizora
ghettomodmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
City & State: Bulgaria
My Country: Bulgaria
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 894
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
2023, so there's a solid 2yrs left. Same with Server 2012. Also, with the end of these two comes the end of definitions for MS security essentials, which still functions/updates on EOL Windows 7.
What I am saying is that if you use are supporting computer and network infrastructure on a mass scale or you use office computer,
you have 2 options - cope with buggy 8.1 Metro without any third party apps or use Windows10.
Nobody will allow you to install classic shell. Unknown third party software is serious security concern. And even if you want to do it, active directory deployment, msi install file and personalization file is unavailable. Do you think that going thru every single of 200-300 computers and installing piece of software that is security risk is what you want to do? I'm sorry, but you think small. My point of view is different, because I have to deal with more than a couple of computers.

Last edited by televizora; 01-02-2021 at 07:58 PM..
televizora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:59 PM   #38
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 14,114
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by televizora View Post
What I am saying is that if you use are supporting computer and network infrastructure on a mass scale or you use office computer,
you have 2 options - cope with buggy 8.1 Metro without any third party apps or use Windows10.
Nobody will allow you to install classic shell. Unknown third party software is serious security concern. And even if you want to do it, active directory deployment, msi install file and personalization file is unavailable. Do you think that going thru every single of 200-300 computers and installing piece of software that is security risk is what you want to do? I'm sorry, but you think small. My point of view is different, because I have to deal with more than a couple of computers.
I wasn't referring to it in a corporate environment.
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:03 PM   #39
televizora
ghettomodmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
City & State: Bulgaria
My Country: Bulgaria
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 894
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
I wasn't referring to it in a corporate environment.
I didn't mean to offend you. But the only thing that my users are allowed is to change the desktop wallpaper. Nothing more. They are not even allowed to delete desktop icons, can just move them. So, Windows10 has better UI. Because you cant just install random stuff on multiple computers in corporate environment. Third party software fixing windows problems is hardly an option. This is why I am pissed that anything newer than Windows7 is terrible.

Last edited by televizora; 01-02-2021 at 08:07 PM..
televizora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:06 PM   #40
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 240V @ 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 14,114
Default Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by televizora View Post
I didn't mean to offend you. But the only thing that my users are allowed is to change the desktop wallpaper. Nothing more. They are not even allowed to delete desktop icons, can just move them. So, Windows10 has better UI. Because you cant just install random stuff on multiple computers in corporate environment. Third party software fixing windows problems is hardly an option. This is why I am pissed that anything newer than Windows7 is terrible.
Not offended at all. We were just talking about it from two different aspects.
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Badcaps.net Technical Forums 2003 - 2021
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 PM.
Did you find this forum helpful?