Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm and idiot. I tried to transfer my Firmware Chip. Maybe Fried It. Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm and idiot. I tried to transfer my Firmware Chip. Maybe Fried It. Now What?

I tried to transfer my BIOS/Firmware Chip from one PCB Board to another Donor PCB Board. It might be okay and yet it might not be okay. (I'm currently getting it looked at professionally) Let's assume worst case scenario. Is there someone out there that can extract my rom information from my platters and reprogram another chip and get all this working again? The hard drive is in perfect shape and spins up beautifully, I just had a bad pcb board. I know its a long shot but I thought I would ask.

Sincerely,
    Idiot

Re: I'm and idiot. I tried to transfer my Firmware Chip. Maybe Fried It. Now What?

bios on what? a motherboard?
    you make it sound like a harddrive board

Comment

Re: I'm and idiot. I tried to transfer my Firmware Chip. Maybe Fried It. Now What?

Originally posted by stj View Post
      bios on what? a motherboard?
      you make it sound like a harddrive board
      Yes, hard drive board. PCB Board. Is that okay to post here?

Comment

Originally posted by NeedsPractice View Post
        I tried to transfer my BIOS/Firmware Chip from one PCB Board to another Donor PCB Board. It might be okay and yet it might not be okay. (I'm currently getting it looked at professionally) Let's assume worst case scenario. Is there someone out there that can extract my rom information from my platters and reprogram another chip and get all this working again? The hard drive is in perfect shape and spins up beautifully, I just had a bad pcb board. I know its a long shot but I thought I would ask.

Sincerely,
        Idiot
        That is a damn good question. I'm not sure HDD boards have a usual programmable chips that motherboards have. I somehow doubt programmers have that chip listed. I could be wrong
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

some harddrives have a flash chip, but most have it integrated into the controller.

Comment

Yes, seagate has their rom chips programed with the instructions and locked code keys to access the hard drive. Usually you have to swap the old pcb board to a new donor pcb board on the hard drive to get everything working again. This is not everything you need to do though. You also from what I understand have to swap out the Rom Bios Chip/Firmware Chip. Requiring a rework station, etc.

I have attempted this and failed.

I have sent it off to see if it can be done properly. I hope so but we will see.

My main question is if my bios chip comes back fried. Can anyone program this rom/bios chip or work around it to get my data back from this hard drive?

Comment

Here is some info about it:

https://www.donordrives.com/pcb-replacement-guide

Comment

Another Update:

Okay I got my ROM back. Well, I got my ROM back that is a New ROM. They said that my original ROM was too damaged, but they were successful at transferring the ROM information from my Original ROM to this NEW ROM. They checked twice that it was transferred over successful.

Well of course it did not work. The drive is seen in windows but barely. It is doing the same thing before like the original problem. Completely and 100% silent. (I think all windows recognizes is the bridge that it is connected to).

This is the weirdest part. I ordered some more PCB Donor Boards and if I put any of those on this hard drive the drive comes to life. It boots up twice or tries to read the drive twice and gives up.

What dose all this mean? Did some how the original ROM get corrupted and is permanently damaged?

Long Shot

They suggest the file system could be corrupted and that this is almost 100% fixable. Connect PC Max 3000 and either get lucky and extract the data by bypassing the software lock because the drive is in defensive mode or rip the data off raw but will take a while (same as bypassing the locked codes).

Recap:

1-Original PCB Board with Original BIOS in perfect shape (something happened):

-Drive would not boot up, completely silent, not moving or humming at all. OFF.

2-New PCB Donor Board with random bios that is already on the board (Testing):

-Drive boots up and tries to read but gives up and fails.

3-New PCB Donor Board with Original BIOS (I installed it myself, botched it up)

4-New PCB Donor Board with New Rom (Installed by professional, bios information transferred over)

What does all this mean? Something is corrupted with the original bios? How does the drive power up and try to read with a random donor board with whatever BIOS that came with it; but when it is connected with the original bios its dead as a door nail?

I will be getting back my original pcb board and original bios/rom. I’m sure the ROM is in ruff shape but the information has been transferred over to a new ROM. So that is good at least.

What are my options at this point? Is my data lost forever?

Comment

It depends how valuable the data is, professional data recovery is not cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                    It depends how valuable the data is, professional data recovery is not cheap.
                    Right, but what are you thoughts. This just seems weird. Why is the drive firing up with a donor board and donor bios but with a donor board and the original bios nothing.

I am lost on how this drive could still be recovered with corrupted or destroyed bios.

Comment

We have no idea what happened in the first place, what happened during the botching nor the state of the ROM, so can't make any guesses as to what's up.

It's about $1000 to recover a drive, if it's worth that then send it to the pros, if not, post some photos and I'm happy to participate in speculation/suggestions.

I've used Ontrack in the past, they have an excellent record in recovery and give a free diagnostic to show how much data they can recover and actual cost.

Comment

We have no idea what happened in the first place, what happened during the botching nor the state of the ROM, so can't make any guesses as to what's up.

It's about $1000 to recover a drive, if it's worth that then send it to the pros, if not, post some photos and I'm happy to participate in speculation/suggestions.

I've used Ontrack in the past, they have an excellent record in recovery and give a free diagnostic to show how much data they can recover and actual cost.
                        I'm almost to the point of giving up. I might just send it to ontrack and see what happens once I get my original rom and original pcb board back.

I just feel this is one thing away though from working. Man.

Comment

it's a seagate - the heads are probably fucked and may have also scratched the oxide off the platters.

what model drive is it? it better not be a fucking "rosewood" series!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            it's a seagate - the heads are probably fucked and may have also scratched the oxide off the platters.

what model drive is it? it better not be a fucking "rosewood" series!!!
                            ST8000AS0002, 1NA17Z-569, RT18, 9666 J, Seagate SATA 3.5 PCB

PCB Specification:

Model: ST8000AS0002
                            Part Number: 1NA17Z-569
                            Firmware: RT18
                            PCB Sticker: 9666 J
                            PCB Number: 100769673 REV A

Here is a link for the photos:

Front:

https://ufile.io/89t3dg39

Back:

https://ufile.io/r8487cz0

Comment

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...522/?view=date

Comment

Update:

I got my original pcb board back and my original rom. They did put my original rom on another pcb donor board and the drive does not boot up at all. I do not even think it is allowing power to turn on the drive.

I put my best donor board with a random rom back on the hard drive and get this.

https://ufile.io/45vfe3t3

The drive stays on and sounds great. However, I’m afraid to initialize because I know it will erase my data however, even if I do, I will get an i/o error and it wont do it.

They emailed me back and said they do not have my ROM Dump on file. I guess they do not want to work with me on that.

Please on please let me know what device exactly I can buy to get this ROM dump!!! I will post asap when I download it.

wow. I did not even know PC3000 or MRT Lab could not even fix the problem. What about going around the problem? Can either of these programs help rip the data off the drive RAW?

“Encouraging Sum” I completely and totally understand and respect this. What are we talking here?

I would love to have a healthy ROM Chip on a beautiful new PCB Donor Board.

“Some drives have a feature called Power Up In Standby (PUIS). If this is enabled, then the drive won't spin up until a certain command is issued. PUIS can be disabled with free tools such as HDAT2.”

How do I get this tool and software? Please help me troubleshoot this. I can buy tools and have them shipped to me.

“One other feature that may prevent your drive from spinning up inside a PC is SATA power pin #3. This has now been redefined as the Power Disable pin. However this does not appear to be present in your model.”

Do I need some software or hardware to disable this?

Comment

With a faulty ROM it needs to go to a pro if you want the data recovered.

Comment

HD-Front

https://ufile.io/lk1a7uhh

HD-Back

https://ufile.io/c3svwk11

Repair – Front

https://ufile.io/ez3jou40

Repair – Back

https://ufile.io/h77bd47a

Granted please note they said that the original rom was too damaged to transfer. They did this as a courtesy. I have another pcb donor board that has supposedly a new rom with my original bios information transferred over to it. However, you can see here the "condition” of the original rom. I am hoping all the information can still be transferred from this rom. Its not beat up too bad right?

Both pcb donor boards; the one with the original rom and the new transferred over with the information rom do not power up the drive at all. Zero, zilch, nada.

I can post photos of the new rom and new board if needed as well however, it looks good I believe. If the information was transferred over properly.

Comment

Yea, I'm talking to a couple of pros now. Waiting for their reply. Just putting this out there so I can get feed back from everyone.

Thanks!

Comment

Recap:

1-Looks like my original bios was erased.
                                        2-Looks like my original bios was only partially copied over to the new rom.: 512K worth.
                                        3-I have one PCB Donor Board that boots up the hard drive and keeps it running but o/s can't read the data.
                                        4. Data Recovery Place that transferred my bios to another PCB Donor Board, said they don't back up roms and they don't have my rom to email me.

What are my options?

Comment

Working...
                                        X