Dell N5010 display issue after UMA conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell N5010 display issue after UMA conversion

Hey guys, need help figuring out what's causing the following issue.

I have a dell N5010 which had a bad GPU chip and a UMA conversion was performed.

Initial conversion was done per this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq8r920tW64

After conversion, laptop boots and display comes on but once windows starts loading, it becomes all fuzzy/dotted. I initially though it could be a driver issue, so I removed the HDD and booted into BIOS settings. Image was not fuzzy but some letter jitters (like dancing dots at the edge of the letters) was visible. I tried to boot from windows installation disk (without HDD plugged in)but still has same fuzzy image (see attached picture).

I removed the VRAMs and followed the "new conversion guide" (as attached) but image still remains same.

Tests done(with no change):
    1. Laptop display is known good
    2. Tried known good RAM
    3. Tried known good CPU
    4. Check proper 25MHz signal on PCH with DSO - (25MHz and stable)
    5. Replaced load capacitor for 25MHz crystal
    6. Replaced load Resistor for 25MHz crystal
    7. Recheck if I did not miss any components removal, shifting and/or adding as per guide
    8. Check solder joints of parts shifted/added
    9. Check if parts shifted/added have proper values and haven't been damaged
    10. Check stable voltage levels from different regulators
    11. Check if there was no shorting of solder from removed parts.

Other Observations:
    1. Dots do not appear if I open Command Prompt in windows install.
    2. Some Dots can be observed around (especially bottom edge) windows logo while OS is loading
    3. No dots at all when prompted to choose 32 or 64bits when installing windows
    4. When booted into windows (installed on HDD), laptop is very slow and takes a while to register mouse key press and opening folders. Mouse pointer moves smoothly though.

At this point am not sure what else to test and starting to think I may have a bad PCH? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: Dell N5010 display issue after UMA conversion

clean and try the lvds socket on the panel. Start panel test mode by pressing the start button together with the D button.
    I'm not happy to be so strong. because it's not humanly

Comment

Hi Sametbey, cleaning the LVDS connectors did not help, I still get dotted image.

Panel test actually passes without issues and colors are good too. No dots can be seen during test.

When windows is loaded from HDD, laptop is painfully slow. Any other suggestion?

Comment

I also noticed that external display is not working (not even being detected). Neither on HDMI nor on VGA.

Comment

Working...
        X