Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phase Loss Monitor having false triggering ( bad capacitors issues)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phase Loss Monitor having false triggering ( bad capacitors issues)

These phase loss monitor modules have two boards one board is basically the power supply board the other board is basically the phase loss monitor circuit

It has three capacitors on it one on the power supply board 470uf@50volts (KMG) 0.11 ESR value
    The other two capacitor are on the phase loss monitor circuit board

One capacitor is 10uf@63volts (Unknown brand) replacement capacitor automotive grade low ESR
    One capacitor is 100@50volts ( unknown brand) replacement capacitor was 100uf63volts automotive grade low ESR

The results of the ESR are as follows 0.70 this was a very low value for this capacitor compared to a new one
    The other value was 1.7 this value was very close to a new one but I do not remember which value went to which capacitor I am sorry about this

Will test this phase loss monitor tomorrow at work and see if it works correctly or not

Here is the website link where I buy these modules

https://www.grainger.com/product/ICM...chQuery=icm408

One interesting thing that is in the data sheet it says that it can operate at a temperature of 149*F really one of the capacitor was only rated at 85* this is why I went with automotive grade capacitors except one of them I did not have the power supply board capacitor in that grade on hand
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-07-2020, 08:02 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: Phase Loss Monitor having false triggering ( bad capacitors issues)

It would nice to see pictures of the inside of the module. It must use a small mains power transformer?
    I repaired a simpler phase loss detector and I think it was damaged from spikes 480VAC monitor circuit, cmos IC got zapped. Yours has so many trimpots.

Comment

philips and rubycon make some 135' caps for use in stuff like boiler ignition boxes that get cooked.

Comment

Nichicon also has some new solid polymer capacitors to 125°C/257°F or 135°C/275°F or 150°C/300°F. But that is where plastics melt and most wire is only rated well below that. The league of teflon wire/pcb and special semiconductors.

At high temps and many years, I find electrolytic capacitors usually dry out, but the Philips blue ones short. So C value goes down and ESR goes up.

Lifetime is halved operating every 10°C above 40°C/104°F, according to Nichicon.

Comment

Well the phase loss monitor was reinstated and worked very well for 8 hours today
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-10-2020, 06:20 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
          X