150 Watt UV LED LIGHT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

150 Watt UV LED LIGHT

Anyone know what the part in blue is and where I might get one? This 150 watt LED light stopped working after only about 6 months so I took it apart and visually all I can that may be bad is that part circled in red. It appears to be encased in resin but I can get to it and solder on a new one. Any help in identifying the part and where I might get a new one would be very appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by freakytiki4u; 12-24-2021, 05:07 PM. Reason: Pictures didn't load

Re: 150 Watt UV LED LIGHT

That is a bourns MOV (digikey: MOV-07D241K-ND) It should check open as it is likely across the ac line input. If it checks shorted it would have blown the fuse as well. It can be removed to test the unit as it is for spike protection

Comment

It's a varistor, the brown stuff is just flux as it had to be soldered after the smd work.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I will check the fuse. It probably popped.

Comment

So they fuse isn't bad and the power cord is not bad but I don't get 120Volts to the fuse. This stuff is all surface mount so I'm not sure how to proceed from here (or sure if I even can). Any suggestions?

Comment

what voltage do you get across the varister?
            remember it's all clearcoated so you have to poke the meter probes through it.

Comment

I get nothing at all at the fuse. I scraped the gel stuff off so I get bare metal but no voltage at all, which seems weird to me. I have not tried the Varister because I don't even get voltage at the fuse just before it.
              Last edited by freakytiki4u; 12-25-2021, 11:49 AM. Reason: I was talking about the wrong part

Comment

I just tested the Varister and there is 120 volts there on the left leg, nothing on the right leg.
                Last edited by freakytiki4u; 12-25-2021, 11:57 AM. Reason: Need to add more info

Comment

one leg should be neutral - the other is live.
                  try the bridge rectifier DB1

Comment

Note it looks like Hot/Line (black) first connects to the MOV and then the bridge rectifier IC. It looks like Neutral (white) has the fuse in series? That would cause confusion.
                    Instead of working on it powered up, I would instead take some ohmmeter readings with power off. See if the mains cord has continuity to the bridge rectifier.

P.S. what are you doing with so much UV? Everybody glows nowadays lol.

Comment

I will check the BR in a bit, have family arriving for Christmas. As to what I need that much glow power for, lol I think you're going to love this! I built an 8 foot tall and 4 foot wide glow in the dark sasquatch out of resin and glow powder (see attached pic). I have video on my youtube channel called "Green Man Productions" that you can watch if you are so motivated. Let me know what ya think of my Sasquatch.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by freakytiki4u View Post
                        I just tested the Varister and there is 120 volts there on the left leg, nothing on the right leg.
                        That is because the mov is connected across the ac line. so you should have 120vac ACROSS the mov, If you do not, I suspect the fuse is in the neutral line (white wire), check if the fuse is open. If you have 120VAC ACROSS the MOV, then check across the bridge rectifier (S) to (S) for 120vAC,

Comment

i'm disapointed,
                          i thought you where growing weed or building a security post to detect vaxed zombies!

Comment

LMAO too funny!

Comment

There's an open-circuit somewhere on this LED board, 96 LED's and 20-24 IC's you would expect a bit of life. That 6A fuse would only pop if a short happened.
                              Soldering looks poor on one edge of all U16-20, somebody retouched the other side though. Not sure how the strings are configured or the IC part number.

I went on a fixup date with a woman that told me at night time she is visited by what looks to be glowing on your front lawn. The things they did to her!

Comment

I think I know her lol

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                  P.S. what are you doing with so much UV? Everybody glows nowadays lol.
                                  I was wondering the same thing
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply
                                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by freakytiki4u View Post
                                    Let me know what ya think of my Sasquatch.
                                    Really cool
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply
                                    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                                    X