Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System Reserved partition created out of the blue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Reserved partition created out of the blue?

I’ve been running Windows 7 for a year with only one partition Local Disk C:

Yesterday I was exploring old hard drives I found via Sata to USB adapter where one incident a blue screen popped up saying hardware failure and to reboot.

After rebooting I then noticed another partition under windows explorer System Reserved E: that says 71.4bm free of 99.9mb but it’s empty when I try to explore the contents. I have the option to show hidden files turned on as well.

Anyone know why this seemed to pop up out of no where and if it can be deleted?

Re: System Reserved partition created out of the blue?

There is always normally a 100MB (or larger) hidden partition if you install Windows Vista/7 and later with default options.
    This contains your Windows boot manager files, if you delete it you can imagine the consequences
    You can go in to Disk Management and remove the drive letter so the partition becomes hidden again, as it should be.
    But I would run chkdsk on it first: because some corruption must have caused it to appear to begin with!
    As for the files see my attached screenshot, you must have the option circled in red deselected to see the critical boot system files...
    Attached Files
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
      There is always normally a 100MB (or larger) hidden partition if you install Windows Vista/7 and later with default options.
      This contains your Windows boot manager files, if you delete it you can imagine the consequences
      You can go in to Disk Management and remove the drive letter so the partition becomes hidden again, as it should be.
      But I would run chkdsk on it first: because some corruption must have caused it to appear to begin with!
      As for the files see my attached screenshot, you must have the option circled in red deselected to see the critical boot system files...
      Thank you! So you think something happened when I was exploring hard drives via sata to usb that caused it to be visible? Would chkdsk fix it if so?

Comment

It's actually normal that it did that: when attached like an external or extra drive not seen by the systems boot manager then it will show up as any standard partition...
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Debian Linux

Comment

Update. I noticed that the system reserved partition is gone now. I didn’t do anything but have the computer off for a while

Comment

i dont think it changed while it was off!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                i dont think it changed while it was off!
                This is Windows we are talking about here
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Working...
                X