X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    Oh, are you sure you are not just too used to seeing small teeny tiny 330/470 uF primary caps in those Deers, and now a 680 uF cap seems big?
    I have an old Astec 200 Watt server PSU. That thing has 2x 1200 uF primary caps - now those are HUGE. About the size of a D cell battery.
    Huh,I checked those 680uF caps and they're the same size a D cell,more or less.
    Originally posted by momaka View Post
    That said, this obviously shows that when Deer/Solytech wants to make a half-decent PSU, they can. I guess this is probably one of the very few units that is complete with input filtering, PPFC, and everything. To bad they used cheap caps again. But I guess it is also good that they used cheap caps, because that's how you were able to get a cheap score on this PSU.
    This one is actually pretty decent. One thing I found strange - if you have worked with Allieds (I guess you did - Allieds are actually the half-decent line of Deer,with L&C being the total uber crap line) you should remember that after the rectifier bridge (which mine has BTW),there's a MOV installed. In my Modecom PSU though,that MOV is replaced with a strange PCB - it has two 2.2uF 400V caps (Su'scon SK - not bothering to replace them as I don't have replacements and they're the small size you see on motherboards) and two pink resistors. Could be a PFC circuit,since the PFC coil 2-pin connector is just next to it.

Apart from that,this Deer has anything you'd want - PFC coil (real and really heavy as well),approved Y caps covered in heatshrink (both on the PSU board and on the AC receptacle PCB),EE-25 choke (there's a choke on the AC receptacle as well,but it seems they used a copper choke instead of a EE-25 choke,probably because the space between the Y caps and the X cap on the receptacle (there's just one) is small),and of course thick and big heatsinks.

Just the primary transistors are something I can't find over Google - TT2174. Can those be replaced with 13009's? 13009s are capable of doing 400W with a ERL-35 transformer,right?
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
      what can these be used for? i will have a read up on them but you have probably used these before.
      any time you need to check a crystal or oscillator, or if you need to tune one - like calibrating a tuner.

you meter for example, only works upto 15MHz, mine only works to 10MHz.
      but this works upto 2,400MHz

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        any time you need to check a crystal or oscillator, or if you need to tune one - like calibrating a tuner.

you meter for example, only works upto 15MHz, mine only works to 10MHz.
        but this works upto 2,400MHz
        another good gadget to have in your tool collection then i will have too order one.

Comment

well if you prefer the old style, they sell one with a VFD instead of led's for a bit more.

Comment

VFD=
            Vacuum
            Fluorescent
            Display
            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
            RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
            - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
            - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
            - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
            - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

i thought that was well known

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                it has two 2.2uF 400V caps (Su'scon SK - not bothering to replace them as I don't have replacements and they're the small size you see on motherboards) and two pink resistors. Could be a PFC circuit,since the PFC coil 2-pin connector is just next to it.
                WARNING! You should always remove those 2 caps and disable this circuit. It's completely useless and generates a lot of heat with 2 big resistors and the 2 diodes and the caps get cooked no matter what brand and series they are.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                  WARNING! You should always remove those 2 caps and disable this circuit. It's completely useless and generates a lot of heat with 2 big resistors and the 2 diodes and the caps get cooked no matter what brand and series they are.
                  They're not big. They are nearly the size of those we find at stores. I think the circuit is disabled anyways due to the lifted pads on that small PCB.
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                  120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

well if you prefer the old style, they sell one with a VFD instead of led's for a bit more.
                    have you got a link?

Comment

@Dan81 More info and pics here:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...827#post409827
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1389575592

and here:
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...411#post282411

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...0&d=1268166583

Comment

Yesterday picked up 7 computers scrapyard.

2 IBM (pentium 4) 5 lenovo (core 2 duo, pentium D), 1 HP (PENTIUM 4).
                        thinkcentre all had the bad capacitor, repair those that were better (others were in very poor condition motherboard) and repair 2 thinkcentre time, one with a core 2 duo, and one with a pentium d 930.
                        The core 2 duo, the voltage regulator of the ram had a capacitor bad and sometimes the computer is restarted a 6.3v sanyo 1800 microfarads, were two equal and Feds look 2 case for 2 Nippon Chemicon 16v 1800 microfarads.
                        PS: I am writing this from the thinkcentre core 2 duo hehe.
                        Attached Files
                        Gaming pc:
                        nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                        Workshop PC:
                        Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                        Server:

Comment

I have one of those ThinkCentre small form factor boxes. I modified the BIOS and CPU socket to fit a Xeon X3363 in it. Quad-core, 12M L3 cache. Working well so far, no bad caps!
                          ASUS P8Z77-V LK, i7-3790, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 750 Ti, 256GB 840 Pro & 2x1TB / 1x2TB, Creative SoundBlaster ZxR, FSP Aurum S 400W
                          abit IP35 Pro, Q9300, 16GB DDR2-800, GTX 750 Ti, 128GB 840 Pro & 1TB WD Blue, Corsair CX430
                          HP d530 CMT, P4 EE 3.2ghz (with modded BIOS for correct microcode), 4GB DDR-400, ATI 9600XT, X-Fi, 80GB Velociraptor, 500GB WD Blue, XP SP3, Sony SDT-9000 & Seagate CTD-8000 DAT drive for ripping audio DATs
                          abit BX133-RAID (recapped + SMD caps installed in processor socket), PIII-S 1.4ghz Tualatin, 768MB PC133, FX5600, SoundBlaster AWE32, 40GB Deskstar, Windows 98SE
                          Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                            have you got a link?
                            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291433094715

you can also get the led one in about 5 colours if you look.

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291433094715

you can also get the led one in about 5 colours if you look.
                              cheers stj i have already saw the led ones some of these chinese testers etc are useful in electronics repairs im still waiting for my pre built est tester too come then i will finish my kit and maybe upgrade it.

Comment

the hardest part with these chinese bargains is protection,
                                plastic cases can cost almost as much as the equipment, finding "something" that will do the job is also tricky.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                  +1

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                  They're not big. They are nearly the size of those we find at stores. I think the circuit is disabled anyways due to the lifted pads on that small PCB.
                                  Don't think. Make that circuit gone! It is absolutely useless.
                                  Plus, you will end with more parts in your parts box .

Comment

the hardest part with these chinese bargains is protection,
                                    plastic cases can cost almost as much as the equipment, finding "something" that will do the job is also tricky.
                                    Too be honest with my old esr tester i havnt bothered with a case for it this new one i may though try to find something that does the job.

Comment

Picked up a ZTE Speed N9130 (aka ZTE Cocaine) for $7. Not a terrible phone hardware wise, just locked to Boost.

Going to be used as a webcam but hardware wise it's not bad, being a 1.2 Quad Snapdragon 410 + a gig of ram. Sadly no custom roms for it, it'd be great with CM11 or 13.

Comment

most ZTE can be unlocked very easily.

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

A few days ago I picked up this:

One is a core 2 duo (the best) only had to make 2 sanyo capacitors reccaping exploited by the heat.
                                          Go perfect!
                                          has:
                                          Core 2 duo e7200 (future upgrade Xeon 5430)
                                          ram: 2GB DDR2 (future upgrade 3GB ram)
                                          HDD 160GB
                                          GPU: Intel (upgraded to nvidia 610)
                                          What impressed me most about this computer is that it has integrated a speaker LOL

The others are Pentium D, The others are Pentium D, 1 Pentium 4, I was able to recover 2 (Pentium D) more, also had bad capacitors.

Then I gave this brand new Toshiba U500 a great friend, had overheating problems, and the problem was needed is a thin heating pad and thermal grease quality, and now works perfect.

has:
                                          Intel core i5 450m
                                          310 Nvidia 512MB (MXM Slot)
                                          4GB ram
                                          640GB HDD.

And finally, I found a computer 486 (AMD 100 MHz) PCI ports, and supports VGA PCI.
                                          The only bad thing is I have to change the dallas chip.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Gaming pc:
                                          nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
                                          Workshop PC:
                                          Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
                                          Server:

Comment

Working...
                                          X