Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GTX 970 GPU crashes when loading drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX 970 GPU crashes when loading drivers?

Hey,

I got a MSI GeForce GTX 970 which had a 2.5ohm short on the PCIE 6pin. I replaced one of the VCORE MOSFETs and the short was gone.

The card boots up now. I got it booted into Windows, started downloading drivers (didn't install yet) and it just black screened - I assume Windows by that time had started loading its own GPU drivers onto mine.

After that, everytime the PC would start booting Windows, I would get a a black screen.

I went into Safe Mode (Worked fine) and installed the drivers. But I get the same issue went booting into normal Windows now. Any ideas on what is wrong?

Re: GPU crashes when loading drivers?

UPDATE:
    I managed to get it to boot into normal Windows, started up Heaven benchmark and it immediately went black screen.

Not sure if I messed up the soldering on that 1 phase or if its an actual VRAM issue.

Comment

Re: GPU crashes when loading drivers?

Do you have artifacts?

Comment

Re: GTX 970 GPU crashes when loading drivers?

When the driver is installed, the gpu draws more current, so the mosfets are loaded more. One or more of the phases is not working try changing the other mosfets and make sure they all work.

Comment

it can be bad ram. check with MATS. u will find bad chip/s. Bad ram is when u can boot to windows and work without driver normally. when driver is loaded or little load on hi res and ir crash

OR

one or more power phase is bad, u must check with scope before coil
          Last edited by ktmmotocross; 04-15-2022, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Update:

Turns out that issue is only happening on HDMI. Card itself was running but HDMI would cut out. DVI is working fine. Very strange

Comment

Originally posted by whc14765 View Post
              Update:

Turns out that issue is only happening on HDMI. Card itself was running but HDMI would cut out. DVI is working fine. Very strange
              Did you try the MATS test as ktmmotocross suggested?

Comment

Hello everyone. Just another idea: did you check the capacitors? Check if they are ok, maybe when you stress the card in Heaven they get hot and their capacitance values drop below the minimum needed so the voltages can no longer be constant to power the core or the vrams. I hope I explained myself and that it helps. It doesn't explain why DVI works well, but you never know. I will be following this thread. Bye

Comment

Originally posted by Ulhmann View Post
                  Hello everyone. Just another idea: did you check the capacitors? Check if they are ok, maybe when you stress the card in Heaven they get hot and their capacitance values drop below the minimum needed so the voltages can no longer be constant to power the core or the vrams. I hope I explained myself and that it helps. It doesn't explain why DVI works well, but you never know. I will be following this thread. Bye
                  u can remove 3 of them and nothing changes

Comment

Working...
                  X