No announcement yet.

Dell Optiplex SX280 Weird problem!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell Optiplex SX280 Weird problem!!!!

That would prove exactly nothing.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

i suck at photoshop if thats what your saying
      whatever. have a nice day

Comment

I didn't say you didn't see those caps on some board.

I said Intel doesn't put non-jap caps on their own motherboards.
        - Corporate Directive. - I actually had it in writing at one time.
        Anyone with sufficient experience with Intel boards knows what I'm saying is true without seeing it writing anyway.

If you saw what you say then either it wasn't actually an Intel board or someone else put the caps on it.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

it said intel on it and it loooked like the d955xbk...

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
            That would prove exactly nothing.
            Exactly because it could have been recapped. (Not just Photo Shopped or whatever.)

Comment

it wasnt recapped. i dont think so at least...i got it used...

Comment

It was recapped. [By a moron.]
                The photos I found of that board had Nichicon HM there.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Originally posted by GX270_user View Post
                  I'll have to oen it back up to get the manufacturer's name ...
                  No need to do that - the UL number on the label says E143709 so that means it was made by Chicony Power / HiPro.

Based on the pictures you posted, it looks identical to the 250W Chicony Power I have. Mine has a 5vsb failure (and I still haven't found time to look into it yet) so definitely check the 5vsb voltage on yours (purple wire). Should be no less than 4.75v and no more than 5.25v. If it's good, then all you need to do is recap it. Should be pretty easy.
                  Any of the following caps should work:
                  KY, KZE, LXY, and LXZ series from United Chemicon
                  PW, PM, and HE series from Nichicon
                  FC, FK, and FM series from Panasonic
                  YXG, ZL, and ZLH from Rubycon.
                  Samxon RS (and maybe a few other series - ask TopCat if you're buying from him).

Also, nice job with the case. Almost looks like it came like that from the factory .

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                    No need to do that - the UL number on the label says E143709 so that means it was made by Chicony Power / HiPro. .
                    You also know this by the "HP" leading the part number.
                    Newton Power would have an "NPS" there.
                    Not remembering what Delta has.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Wasn't Newton built by Delta as well?
                      I think Delta model numbers start with "DPS" (or at least the really common ones, that is). If you look at their UL page, though, you will see that they have many other model numbers, even some that start with NPS as well. I think someone even showed it on this forum that Newton is indeed built by Delta.

Comment

Newton is it's own company and quality wise they put Delta to shame.

DPS is right..

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Delta is DPS, as previously mentioned. I've also seen Deltas with GPS- model numbers.

Most of the 300-ish watt Dell Newton Power units I've opened up have CapXon and Ltec inside.

Comment

NPS fell of the wagon then.
                            CapXon and Ltec aren't uncommon in Deltas either though.
                            I wonder what the difference between GPS and DPS is.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

A financial report on Delta's site seems to suggest that Delta owns 94% of Newton Power. So the similarity might make sense. That said, I rarely see bad cap issues in Dell power supplies of any manufacturer. It happens on occasion, but not that often. The exception being cases where the PSU fan has failed, then all bets are off. Why they want to use sleeve bearing fans in a PSU, I have no idea... (cost, I know... and hey, it keeps me busy with things to fix.)

Comment

Delta must have bought them out then.

Newton Power used to specialize in small wattage high quality PSU's that they only sold OEM. The watts on the label was the real watts.
                                As I recall they were usually populated with Chemicon KY or something similar.

A Delta with bloated LTEC isn't a stranger here.

Last edited by PCBONEZ; 09-08-2010, 11:04 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Older (PII and P3 era) Lite-ON PSUs were also of excellent quality with Japanese caps everywhere (except maybe the really tiny 1-22uF ones). Label on those also stated that the ratings on it would hold for up to 50C room temperature. Probably true judging by the way they were built inside.

Comment

Working...
                                  X